I did it!!! EMG's in an SA160QM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I did it!!! EMG's in an SA160QM

a while back ago i posted something about putting a set of EMG's in my guitar. well, the emg jack wasn't compatable and by the time i rigged it to get it to fit, there was no room for the battery. so i took em out and put them in my squire strat (last resort, couldn't send them back) well anyway i found a site called www.guitar-electronics.com and i found a stereo long shaft output jack. (but after looking at it, the stock one had 2 prongs plus ground lug as well) after a few hours of trying to figure the new 5 way out (replaced it cuz it wasn't working right when i replaced the pickups) i finally got everything working. there is just enough room in the cavity for the battery. (still a tight fit) bottom line... the sa's sound really good, but need a little more umph for leads , but tonewize they kick the stocks butt...a little more vintage sounding. neck pup is great for that elusive Sweet Child o Mine tone even thru a J-Station the 85 in the bridge crunches/shreds like crazy but it has too much output for crystal clean playing when wide open. pos 4 is killer for jazz and clean chords.

I keep hearing about EMG's love/hate relationship, well as for me,
i hated them in my squire (which i just sold) but i love them in my SA160QM.

i have yet to find out how they are going to sound thru my rack..
ADA MP-1, Alesis Quadraverb GT (just for effects, don't bother with the eq), Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (for sale, replacing it with a Peavey Classic 50/50) into an Avatar 2x V-12 cab... everything else i ran thru it so far sounds great thru it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 03:58 AM
ax1

Re: I did it!!! EMG's in an SA160QM

can you please tell me your 5 way switch config because i might get the 81 85 and sa combo

thanks
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: I did it!!! EMG's in an SA160QM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax1 View Post
can you please tell me your 5 way switch config because i might get the 81 85 and sa combo

thanks
Have a look here, this is EMGs standard wiring diagrams.
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...g_Diagrams.pdf

Diagram 6 should be able to help you, although it is for 1 volume and 2 tone controls. You should be able to adapt something though.

Or even diagram 5 on this one could help you.
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiri...rams/strat.pdf

Wiring should be the same even though you don't want to use all single coils.

Tags
alesis quadraverb , neck pup , peavey classic , power amp , rocktron velocity , squire strat , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode