I finally changed the factory strings on my 20th and its like a new guitar lol - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I finally changed the factory strings on my 20th and its like a new guitar lol

The factory strings on mine were excellent I must say. No black stuff or any of the issued noted here by quite a few people with 20th's. They stayed in tune perfect and looked brand new. Anyway I finally but my standard Boomers on there and wow its like a new guitar lol. Although the factory strings were in great shape they sure were dead compared to new boomers. The pickups REALLY scream now. Guess my point is change the strings immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: I finally changed the factory strings on my 20th and its like a new guitar lol

Gee I played the RFR one I put on layby for about 20 minutes yesterday and I had black stuff all over my fingers afterwards. You must have been lucky! I never had that happen before either.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:54 PM

Re: I finally changed the factory strings on my 20th and its like a new guitar lol

My factory strings sound toneless even though they looked ok. I'm still waiting for my store to get their hands on some DR strings. Seems like they aren't that easy to get here. My local store is having a huge sale over the next few days and they have D'Addario strings in a box of 10 with a free tuner for a very,very, cheap price. If my DR strings aren't there by this weekend i'll get the D'Addario's because i can't stand the stock strings anymore.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:39 PM

When I buy a guitar first thing I do is change the strings. I love the feeling of new strings, I change mine about every two weeks and use GHS fast fret to keep that "new" feel.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Ummmmm.......duh

Good rule: any time you get a new guitar,

ALWAYS change the strings immediatly and set her up. Otherwise you are wasting precious time
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM

Reviews: 120

Yeah well my store is doing a set up on the guitar for me as a part of their service which is good.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 AM

Reviews: 4

Speaking of strings on the 20th, what brand of strings do you recommend? I've always used D'Addario's on my other guitars but i still dont know whether i should install the same strings on the 20th. I usually use .09s
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:15 AM

Lol....it's a 20th, but still just a guitar. No need for different strings

Stick with your proven winner!!!

D'Addario's XL120's. I'm sure it's set up with (.009's)

I used to use the GHS Boomers until I tried the D'Addario's. I won't go back
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Dee

Yeah, they come with D'Addario, but recent D'Addario's have been terrible. You only gotta tune up and they go black!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Yeah, they come with D'Addario, but recent D'Addario's have been terrible. You only gotta tune up and they go black!

Hmmm....really? I haven't seem to have run into that problem. They've always been good strings for me. IN fact I just checked the strings on my Vrmr. Month old and lots of play time and still nice and shiney

(I know, lol....I should never go a month without changing strings on a heavily played guitar, but sometimes I get lazy )

So you'e saying the quality is declining??
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 AM

Maybe they are really old sets from the factory or something, as i have recently put on two sets and had no problems!
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Dee

I'm not sure about quality declining, Jim, or whether I just got a bad run of strings, but in 20+ years of using D'Addario I had never seen it happen. I had 3 bad sets in a row, then I changed to DR Hi-Beams. I couldn't be happier with the DR's, btw, they are lovely strings. They stay brighter and keep their colour longer than any D'Addario's I've ever used. Easier to bend, too, so less tired fingers.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I'm not sure about quality declining, Jim, or whether I just got a bad run of strings, but in 20+ years of using D'Addario I had never seen it happen. I had 3 bad sets in a row, then I changed to DR Hi-Beams. I couldn't be happier with the DR's, btw, they are lovely strings. They stay brighter and keep their colour longer than any D'Addario's I've ever used. Easier to bend, too, so less tired fingers.
Well cool. I'll have to give the DR Hi-Beams a try, but I'm not just ready to give up on the quality strings that have carried me for the last few years either

Lol...Dee! If you DID get a bad batch, then I'm tellin ya man, you seem to have pretty crappy luck

Maybe you better repent
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Dee

Yes, I am trying!

I wasn't ready to give up on the D's either, but a change is pretty cool though.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 AM

"change" remains constant!!!

I will try them and let you know what I think

As always, thanks for the useful input/info

Tags
addario strings , edge trem , electric guitar , fast fret , fender strat , guitar body , scalloped fretboard , strat bridge , strat style , trem springs , vintage trem , wilkinson trem , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode