I got my first seven string... now what? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
rx

I got my first seven string... now what?

I recently won a brand new RG1527 on ebay for $275. what are some upgrades that can be done to make this machine perfect? i heard somewhere around here that the standard trem posts are bad, so should I change that first? I'm definately switching out the pickups for an Evolution or a ToneZone (gotta love the bite).

so what parts should I switch out and where can I get some?

thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:01 PM

The first thing to do is decide whether you want to tune the extra string to a low A or a low B. Everything else flows from there.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:45 PM

learn some Nevermore so you actually put that 7 to work then upgrade pups if u really gotta... i ran the v7-7 and v8-7 in my RG7421 forever, but recently got a Blaze custom for the bridge.. i must say, out of all the pup swaps i've done, its the best sounding pup yet... and for 70 bux its a steal
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:47 PM

congrats on the new RG7 man. the first thing you should do is figure out what ur setup is going to be as far as string gauges go and stuff and from there on out pickups are a good upgrade too. and if ur gonna be doin some heavy duty trem action ull probly wanna get those edge pro posts replaced. but even just a good setup will do a world of difference if its not already done.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 11:57 PM

yea blaze custom rocks hardcore, that, and a new neck pup, and some heavier gauge strings
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcreature
yea blaze custom rocks hardcore, that, and a new neck pup, and some heavier gauge strings
yeah i run 10-54's
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
The first thing to do is decide whether you want to tune the extra string to a low A or a low B. Everything else flows from there.
Or low G, or low F

Ha ha... I think that's only for nuts like me.

The Blaze Custom sounds like a GREAT replacement bridge pickup. I'm lusting to have a 27" scale Swamp Ash 7 built with the BC in the bridge, and the Blaze Neck in the neck. Along with the Blaze SC in the middle!

I'd also recommend that deciding what strings (gauge/brand) to get is a good idea. For a low B, .050 and up is a good gauge. And if you gig or play in a band, straplocks are a DEFINITE good idea. My RG2027 has 'em, and I have never even come close to that dreaded "Uh-oh! I just BARELY caught my guitar by the neck as it slid off the strap for the umpteenth time!" Get 'em.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
Quote:
Or low G, or low F

The Blaze Custom sounds like a GREAT replacement bridge pickup. I'm lusting to have a 27" scale Swamp Ash 7 built with the BC in the bridge, and the Blaze Neck in the neck. Along with the Blaze SC in the middle!
YES i would kill to have a swamp ash 7 string with blaze customs!!!! ibanez needs to make some alder and swamp ash RGs
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 1
Congrats!
I got into 7 string after 30+ years of conventional guitars.
I loved Passion & Warfare, but when I learned the album was done on a Universe I decided to boldly go where I had never gone before.

Now I've got 2 Universes with more on the horizon. I set mine up with EB Slinky 9-42 with an additional 54 for the low B. Not the best setup for Korn-type stuff, but for Vai type stuff I find it the best combination,(IMHO)

Now all you gotta do is some serious practicing!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogcreature
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf
Quote:
Or low G, or low F

YES i would kill to have a swamp ash 7 string with blaze customs!!!! ibanez needs to make some alder and swamp ash RGs
i'm sure ed roman could make u one
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM

In case you're not informed...don't deal with Ed Roman. Have Eddie Kolesar make you a body!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
i'm sure ed roman could make u one
BWAH HA HA HAH HA HAHHHHHH!!!

Ok, back to the real world...

No, LGM and EKG are about the only guys I'd trust. Jim Soloway definitely comes to mind, but I'd like it to be an Ibanez clone pretty much, sort of like an old Sunburst Strat, with the white pickguard. A classy look, especially with white neck binding and offset dots, like on the RG1077/2077XL's. A guy I came across named Chris Woods looks like he does it too. All moot at this point, because I'm broke, but someday soon perhaps.

Ed Roman... woo, good for a chuckle there.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
learn some Nevermore so you actually put that 7 to work
Wow, I just check out some of their stuf, and I'm impressed with what thoughs guys have going on, what equipment are they using?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Societysucks
Quote:
Wow, I just check out some of their stuf, and I'm impressed with what thoughs guys have going on, what equipment are they using?
Depends on the record.

Only the 2 most recent CDs("Dead Heart in a Dead World" and "Enemies Of Reality") are all 7 string, before that is regular 6(with the exception of one song, title track of "Dreaming Neon Black")..

Jeff Loomis used to use LTD 7 strings(0.070 for the low string) but is now endorsed by Schecter. Tuning is half-step down (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).

Amp wise, "Politics of Ecstacy" era is a Tri-Axis I think, "Dead Heart" era is a TS9 slamming a Mesa Dual Recto(newest is probably the same). Jeff supposedly uses a POD Pro through high wattage SS poweramps live.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Societysucks
Quote:
Depends on the record.

Only the 2 most recent CDs("Dead Heart in a Dead World" and "Enemies Of Reality") are all 7 string, before that is regular 6(with the exception of one song, title track of "Dreaming Neon Black")..

Jeff Loomis used to use LTD 7 strings(0.070 for the low string) but is now endorsed by Schecter. Tuning is half-step down (Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).

Amp wise, "Politics of Ecstacy" era is a Tri-Axis I think, "Dead Heart" era is a TS9 slamming a Mesa Dual Recto(newest is probably the same). Jeff supposedly uses a POD Pro through high wattage SS poweramps live.

its funny that he is endorsed by schecter because i know that he is and all, but their website still says he uses LTD's lol... i'm not sure if he uses schecter live or not, they were supposed to be playing the Seattle Metal Fest this saturday, but Warrel is in the hospital for pancreas failure... my band was the first opening act for nevermore... now we're opening for lame ass Hirax(gah those guys suck sh*t thru a straw)

Tags
blaze neck , bridge pickup , chris woods , dual recto , gauge strings , jeff loomis , mesa dual , mesa dual recto , neck binding , neck pup , pod pro , string gauges , swamp ash , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode