I have a 2001 RG520XGK - but can't find it in the catalogs... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I have a 2001 RG520XGK - but can't find it in the catalogs...

Hi all,

check out my new trove, it's a 2001 RG520X with Double EDGE system, finished in GK = Galaxy Black. The weird thing is, I simply cannot find it in any catalog, and I have both the European and the US catalogs of 2001 and it's nowhere. However, a German guitar magazine published a review of a RG520XJB in 12/2001, so it must have been available regularly.

The neck is marked "ARG570" on the heel - whatever that means - and the pocket says "RG520X-01" and a date stamp "2001.7.25".

(sorry for the low-fi snapshots)

The features are identical to those of a RG620X with one exception: The L.R. Baggs piezo preamp is configured differently: While the 620 has a 3-way mini switch to select magnetic/mix/piezo, the 520 comes with a 2-way mini switch that selects magnetic/piezo without any mix option - it's also placed in a different spot. And mine has a push/push switch to select the outputs, and the 620 doesn't have it either.

What do you guys think? Is this a limited edition, Germany-only model, spot production model or something like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:53 PM

Re: I have a 2001 RG520XGK - but can't find it in the catalogs...

In 2002, the '2nd generation' double edge wiring was introduced; with the 3-way mini-toggle and the 2-band piezo eq. So, the 2020x became the 2120x, and the 2027x became the 2127x. Both the 2020x and the 2027 had the same layout as your 520x.

Ibanez often introduced new models in summer/autumn before they were 'officially' pictured in the catalogues of the following year. They still do, for example they introduced a new RGT2020A with a very weird brown finish just a few weeks ago, which I expect to see in the '06 catalogue.

(disclaimer: the following lines are pure speculation.. pretty plausible speculation )

So, back to your 520x. I *suspect* it was introduced in mid-2001 (too late to be pictured in the 2001 catalogue) as a mid-level DE-guitar; and half a year later it just followed the path of the 2020x and 2027x to be equipped with the new piezo system (but without the eq).. and to be renamed to 620x.

Anyway, congrats on your new axe! I too am a double edge owner since friday, it's just lovely. Check my corresponding topic in the prestige section.

cheers!

Last edited by horstausmforst; 12-19-2005 at 05:04 PM. Reason: I can't write, ahem
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Nice guitar.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys.

I tried to find the wiring diagrams for the 1st generation wiring (according to horst's nomenclature ) used on the RG2020x and RG2027x models but was not yet successful. But I found an S2020X wiring diagram here which makes sense! Now I will have to figure out if the KJG wiring modification will work - that means, a 3-way replaces the 2-way to enable a simultaneous use of both outputs. It should work, shouldn't it?!

@horst: Your speculation is indeed very plausible, the date stamp would confirm your idea, also the fact that this model was reviewed in Gitarre&Bass 12/2001.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:23 AM

Now that's what I call a clear diagram
Yeah, I think the mod should work on your guitar.
I'm leaving mine untouched, cause I don't really have
a use for 2 simultaneous outputs (right now, anyway)
and they did such a nice soldering job in the factory
with all those shrink tubes etc

Btw, any idea what the black slide switch on the
circuit does?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the diagram is not the best, unfortunately. But it's something.

Anyway, if I want to use this one as a backup for my other piezo-powered axe (horst, you probably know which one I mean) I need to install a stereo output jack since I use a stereo cable in my setup. The other jack would remain unused on the 520X. Luckily, I know where to get a barrell-type stereo jack with switching contact to turn off the battery when it's not plugged in. And I won't leave the 520X untouched, you bet!

The black slide switch on the circuit is a phase inverter. If enabled, it creates a 180° phase shift on the piezo signal in relation to the magnetic pickup signal. It's particularly important to set the piezo phase correctly in order to avoid destructive interference when both magnetic and piezo signals are mixed and fed out together. For more information, see the Ctrl-X preamp documentation on www.lrbaggs.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Here's a short update. I removed out the complete piezo system, the V7/V8 pickups and the electronics. Instead of the Double EDGE (which is going into another project guitar), I put in a standard black EDGE and also replaced the cosmo tuners by black tuners. Then, I installed two EMG pickups - 81 at the bridge and 89 at the neck - plus the EMG-AB After Burner preamp that comes as a push/pull pot. To cover the remaining holes, I put in a mini switch to coil-split the neck pickup and a bouncing on-on mini toggle wired to act as a kill switch. Of course, the 500k volume and tone pots were both replaced by 25k. My soldering iron became my best friend for a long time.

Take a look at the new snapshot:

Tags
guitar mag , kjg wiring mod , mini toggle , neck pickup , piezo system , production model , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode