i have about $500 to spend on an acoustic (what and where) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 14
i have about $500 to spend on an acoustic (what and where)

at this point it doesn't matter if it's acoustic/electric or not.

I've heard about the new entry level Breedlove Atlas series, has anybody played these guitars? I'm seeing the AD20/SM going for $479 and the AD200/SM going for $319 at Guitar Adoptions. (anybody have experience with this online guitar seller?)

I hear Breedlove is the shiznit and was wondering how their budget guitars played. (I have no Breedlove dealers near me)

I'm also looking at the Takamine EG523SC (sweet jumbo A/E)

The Epiphone PR6-E

and the Takamine GS330S

thoughts, ideas, other suggestions?

Thanks

Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 07:10 PM

i have recently been playing a wine red KONA guitar at alocal pawnshop that deals in them. they are about 125 dollars and have the best tone and feel that i hav eEVER played. IM gonna sell my taylor to buy one.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 07:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
search the forum for "cheap acoustics" or other similar keywords.

i'd start w/ seagull as they're about taylor quality, made in north america and at 1/2 the price (you can find them under $500) ...glen
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
search the forum for "cheap acoustics" or other similar keywords.

i'd start w/ seagull as they're about taylor quality, made in north america and at 1/2 the price (you can find them under $500) ...glen
Yea, Glen, I just heard about the Seagull S6 being really sweet for about $400 with a case. It's looking like this might be the one.

thanks
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:16 PM

I don't know how much of a hurry you're in to grab an acoustic- I know the Seagulls are consistently good, and I enjoy playing a friends Seagull 12-String.
I own a Yamaha CPX-15E, and previously owned a CPX-15SA. IMO, the E FAR surpasses the S in tone... must be something to do with the quilted mahogany body rather than white sycamore. Anyhow, the CPX-15E I own now is the best feeling and sounding acoustic I've ever played, and I've spent a lot of time in those 'acoustic rooms' in Guitar Center trying out the $$$ guitars. Warm, full but not too bright tone. Just nirvanic. Plays as easilly as an electric as well. I've found these on eBay every now and again for under $600, and actually bought the S on there for $500 in mint condition with case.

BTW- you can buy it new for $600 on an online site. The name of the site rhymes with 'sounds'. But has a couple z's in there. This is a crazy low price for this amazing instrument.

Just another opinion.

Oh yea- and I have a Takamine similar to the one you're looking at. I actually have the 12-string version. IMO, the tone is a bit brighter than you'd want in a 6-string, and lacks a little depth. Good for a 12 though. Then again, some people love that brighter sound. Ice cream, eh?

-Ben
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 01:36 PM

Seagulls are great for the price, probably the best you'll do dollar for quality wise. I'm not a big fan of Taylors and Martins, as I have a Guild D-55 , but if you can find a nice one in your price range, they are well built and hold their value extremely well.
Ovation Legends are nice too, but don't buy an Ovation without playing it as a lot of them just aren't that great (like the Celebrities).
I'd get a Seagull over a Takamine or Epiphone, but that's just me.

jim
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 01:46 AM

Another vote for Seagull guitars here (I bought one earlier this year and absolutely love it. (see my website for pics, and words)). They are great guitars, made by the Godin company.

Art & Luthery (spell?) are also good, and are also made by Godin in Canada. They are the cheaper Godin acoustic guitars however. Still very good mind you.

wil..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.

I'm gonna head for Denver this weekend, weather permitting, and play with the Seagulls.

Robbie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

I got the Seagull S6 from a music store in Denver. This guitar plays and sounds suhweeeet. They had several 03' models and way up, on the top rack, they were hiding a couple 04' models. I snagged the 04 that played and souded the sweetest.

it's strange how each S6 sounded slightly different from one another.

I picked it up, along with a strap and an SKB hardshell plastic case for $450.

thanks for pointing Seagull out to me, guys. I knew Seagull was out there, I just didn't know I could afford one.

Robbie

PS I don't want to tie my strap to the neck. What's the best place on this guitar to have my guy drill for the strap button?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:29 AM

Congrats on the Seagull
Did you check out the Fort cases made for Seagull guitars? I found them to be pretty good, and "wearable" (they have a shoulder strap).

As for the strap button. The best place I believe is at the bottom of where the neck joins the guitar (the bit of wood that is part of the neck). Grrr...wish I had a pic.

I was positive I saw something about it on the seagull website. But I can't seem to find the link. http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagullstory.htm

wil..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 PM

Reviews: 3
This summer in colorado I was very close to buying a Seagull that I realy liked, but when I came back the next day to buy the guitar it was gone. I tried all the other seagulls they had there and decided that thier quality controll wasnt very good. I liked some of them but some realy werent up to par. I opted for the Takamini EG-523SC and I am very hapy with the guitar. One of the best sounding acoustic while pluged in. Im not too impressed with its natural resonance though. If you want seagull go play it first, dont order it.

my quickly written 2 cents.

Jay
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 09:54 PM

Try the Carvin catalog. They have some VERY nice acoustics in there for $440 or less. I am a 110% believer in them since buying my DC127 electric years ago. If you can cough up $600 they have an awesome single cutaway acoustic/electric, the 780 model. I plan to order one myself very soon.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2003, 11:16 PM

I recommend Ovation if you're not too concerned with a plastic backed guitar. It's the most comfortable and easy-to-play acoustic I've ever played. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding a higher-end one second hand for $500 or so.

Tags
acoustic guitar , mahogany body , music store , strap button

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode