I just bought one of the new Red Specials... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
I just bought one of the new Red Specials...

To be more precise, I bought a Gold Red Special. I used to a own a 2nd gen Guild Brian May (like a fool I sold it because it felt too different) so I have a very good idea of what I'm getting. This will be a great guitar for adding layers of sound to recordings. Here's what she's going to look like. I had a choice of black, honeyburst, gold or the class transparent red. They also come in white but that wasn't in stock. I chose the gold because I wanted something a little different than everyone else (most Brian may fans will probably get the trans red) and considering how flashy my PGM301s are/will when they get back from SCS, I needed something to compete visually.

Last edited by toneboy; 02-04-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:22 AM

Re: I just bought one of the new Red Specials...

Now that's what I call a phat guitar
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:36 AM

How can a Red Special be available in different colors?
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
How can a Red Special be available in different colors?
Well, the original Red Special is also referred to as "the Old Lady" and "The Fireplace" but I don't think either of those monikers sound as catchy as "Red Special". However, Gold Old Lady sounds kinda neat.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Why not call it the Brian May Signature, or just Brian May guitar. There's no shame in that and it doesnt limit you to Red. Hell, Brian May Special works.
I know you had nothing to do with the naming, I'm just thinking out loud. Either way, nice guitar, man.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Why not call it the Brian May Signature, or just Brian May guitar. There's no shame in that and it doesnt limit you to Red. Hell, Brian May Special works.
I know you had nothing to do with the naming, I'm just thinking out loud. Either way, nice guitar, man.
I'd hate it if they called the Steve Vai signature guitar something besides 'The Steve Vai signature guitar.'

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 05:05 AM

Nice score man, you don't see these every day. Enjoy!

Regards

André

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 07:22 AM

I'd buy one of those but it doesnt come with the original trem design.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 AM

I'm a huge Brian May fan and for years I wanted to get a Brian May model. I finally came across a Burns Red Special for a decent price. I played it and it just wasn't for me. The neck was way too thick. Just felt really weird.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfergel View Post
I'm a huge Brian May fan and for years I wanted to get a Brian May model. I finally came across a Burns Red Special for a decent price. I played it and it just wasn't for me. The neck was way too thick. Just felt really weird.
I went through the same thing when I had the 2nd gen Guild Brian May but now I've come to realize that I can adapt to the guitar if I'm willing to. It's like going from playing a Strat to a Les Paul. I just have to make the choice to do it and stick with it. Believe me, I thought of that myself, long and hard before I made the purchase. The simple fact is the guitar sounds the way it sounds because of everything that makes it's unique. I didn't want to take the chance of getting something custom built that might sound like it. Besides, the cost of this guitar over a custom built one didn't make fiscal sense to me.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why not call it the Brian May Signature, or just Brian May guitar. There's no shame in that and it doesnt limit you to Red. Hell, Brian May Special works. I know you had nothing to do with the naming, I'm just thinking out loud. Either way, nice guitar, man.
Technically, it is called the Brian May Signature model so you're thinking right on this. I've just always thought of it as the "Red Special" because so many folks refer to the original as that. I wasn't quite getting your point last. Sorry 'bout that.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 AM

where do you get these ?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
where do you get these ?
Flea-bay. There's 3 more of them on there right now in gold, black and honey burst. You'll have to ask about a hardshell case but it's a Burns case so it will fit the guitar perfectly.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 PM
RFR

Congrats, that is a sweet geetar. I will get one of those one day.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 PM

I've always been interested to hear what those tri-sonic pickups sound like.

And congrats, it looks great.

Tags
dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , les paul , locking tuners , seymour duncan , signature guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode