I love Ibanez but... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Question I love Ibanez but...

I've just been playing my PGM100 and after playing Strats and Les Pauls recently, I've found that... um... I don't have any control on the damn thing!

This isn't a sales pitch because I've got it in the classifieds or anything, but it's an unbelievably fast playing guitar. Any time a start trying to shred, I just start bumbling notes all over the show yet I pick up a Les Paul and all of sudden... I'm back in control and I hit everything I go for

Even stranger is the fact that the PGM (or insert any other Ibanez super-strat) feels perfectly comfortable where as the 'Paul feels as bulky as anything, yet I play much better on it. Pretty depressing really when I can barely reach the top notes on it unlike the PGM where it's nice and easy

I'm thinking I could do with an Ibanez with a thicker neck. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone else have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Re: I love Ibanez but...

hmm, maybe a thicker neck would help...that sounds funny about it being unbelievably fast neck. and you lose control when shredding.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:09 PM

I have exactly the same problem Davey. My LP is getting all the play at the moment, I actualy miss the uncomfortable feeling in my ribs and the inside of my right arm when I switch to another guitar LOL!
I just put it down to neck shape too, although I'm in no hurry to buy a thick necked Ibanez when there's so much other choice out there.

Ben
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Good point, it'd probably be black anyway

It's like my playing can't adjust for the space between the back of my hand and the neck. After all these years I don't know why (and this is a common misconception) I always thought thinner = better.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM

That's one of the reasons why I love my Music Man Axis and my J-Custom with the J-C Ultra neck. Sometimes these Ibanez necks get a little tooooo thin.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I'd love to try the J-C Ultra neck but there isn't anywhere around me that stocks anything of the sort
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM

LOL !!

I can't realy comment about black guitars anymore though as I seem to have somehow ended up with 3. I love them all though, so I'll have tou buy day-glo next to even up the balance

Ben
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I always thought it'd be cool to have a guitar like Vai's mirrorball guitar but loads of holes and one of those disco lights spinning around inside it, lol.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM

You can look for an old 540R, most of those came with Ultra necks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM

That's something new, I play like myself no matter what kind of guitar it is...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: I love Ibanez but...

I would not say thin=better! I think it all comes down to the size of your hands, fingers and what feels comfortable to you!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm the same way. My PRS is getting all the play, and it has the fatter neck with the shorter scale.

I think it might have to do with the scale factor. I know Shawn Lane preferred the 24.75" scale factor of LPs, etc over the 25.5" of Strats, RGs, JEMs, etc
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Dee

I like a 25" scale as on the PRS, right between a Gibson and Fender. If I could have a guitar built it'd be a 23 fret 25" scale guitar with H-S pickups!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 AM

S'okey, you don't have to love Ibanez! For what it's worth, my JEM BFP has a much thicker neck than later JEMs - but hey, maybe what you are really telling yourself is that you actually prefer playing Les Pauls - you're just not willing to admit it to yourself!

There ain't no crime against that, and that's even coming from an avid PRS player like me!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
S'okey, you don't have to love Ibanez! For what it's worth, my JEM BFP has a much thicker neck than later JEMs - but hey, maybe what you are really telling yourself is that you actually prefer playing Les Pauls - you're just not willing to admit it to yourself!

There ain't no crime against that, and that's even coming from an avid PRS player like me!

You know, the head isn't far away from the nail there I suppose. It's just really bulky and I struggle to get the high notes, but if I ignore those things then yes I must admit I like playing LPs at the moment There, I said it!!

Actually, I'm starting to think N4's are just right for me since they're comfortable, they have a thick-ish neck and the fret access is easier higher up. I've not tried a PRS in a loooooong time so maybe that'd be a good thing to have a go at too.

Tags
david mccarroll , fret access , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jem bfp , les paul , les pauls , neck shape , playing guitar , shawn lane , thicker necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode