I"m Lost!!!! HELP!!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I"m Lost!!!! HELP!!!!!

Looked in archived topics for this... found lots of conflicting advice.

I'm 'buidling' an RG570... (no I'm not planning on painting it white and trying to call it a JEM) Here's what I have so far... 2000 model RG570 Rootbeer body/ Edge routing and wiring intact, RG550 Black pickgaurd.... Dimarzio Breed (N and M) pickups, Dimarzio Evolution bridge pickup... Original tuners and Locking nut for Wizard Neck.....

My two real "stumpers" are Which Neck and Which tremelo? I hear so much "this is crap" or "that is garbage", then factor in the 'fake' stuff that everyone is trying to sell and it makes my project seem unmanageable.

I know the Lo-TRS and LO-TRS II trems are junk, and (I think) I shoud steer clear of the Wizard II Neck.... I think I should get the Bubinga striped neck for strength.... AAAAUUUUGH... SO MANY CHOICES!!!!!!

If I buy a "LO PRO" or and "Edge Pro" am I getting the best hardware? If I buy an 'original 90's Edge" is it junk? If I buy an OFR is it not going to fit my body?

All my other guitars are Carvins and there are really only 3 options there: Fixed bridge (yuk) Wilkinson trem (more yuk) or original floyd rose (so far so good)

Thank you Ibanegods for sharing your knowledge and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Dee

Re: I"m Lost!!!! HELP!!!!!

Get a Lo-Pro, it's the best.
Original Edge is just as good, but I prefer the design of the Lo-Pro.
Original Floyd won't fit.
Get a Wizard neck.

For the record, the Lo-TRS is NOT junk, it is as hard as any Schaller or Gotoh. Personally, I don't like how it looks (the "wings" are horrible), but the trem works great. Avoid the TRS II at all costs. They are built from inferior (soft) metal and they don't last long, plus they suffer when it comes to tuning stability. Regardless, the Lo-TRS types will not fit well in the trem route of the 570.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:54 PM

edge
lo-pro edge

the best - I like both but the lo-pro is more comfy, it does rattle more though... loose saddles.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 21

Lo-pro or original edge.
Edge pro isn't bad but the two above are better IMO.
Just make sure you do your homework on what will fit your trem posts.
In terms of a neck, I would try and find a store near you with a wizard 1 neck (an old 5xx series) and then compare to prestige wizard and wizard 2. I like all 3 but they all have a different feel.
best of luck!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 02:54 PM

I'd say that the general dislike of the Wizard II is that most of them are not Japanese (I think some are, but I'm sure someone else knows more about that than me). To me the Korean stuff has been very hit or miss on the necks, some have been decent, some stinkers, but I've never had a problem with a Japanese neck. Personally, I disagree with the bubinga being necessary for strength, since I've had a few of my wizards for 15 to 20 years and never had a warping problem with them. That's not to say that none of them warp, but not having bubinga doesn't make it bad. Actually, the only Wiz neck I've ever had issues with (a bad back bow) actually had the bubinga stripe - doesn't make it bad, just means I stored it wrong.

So, me personally, I'd say just find yourself a Japanese AANJ neck, be it from a 550, 570, 520, or even a Jap 470 and you'll be good. If you can find something more "exotic" like a Prestige, Jem, PGM, etc, then more power to you!

Oh, and I'll add to everyone else saying Edge or LoPro is the way to go for a trem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 2

It's easy go for a bubinga Wizard neck (usually from Rg570) and an Edge tremolo
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 06:21 PM

The bubinga stripe won't, realistically and practically, make any difference at all.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 PM
bdk

Super Wizard rocks. Lo Pro or original edge, both are awesome, show us some pics when you're done!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 AM

Reviews: 3

wizard 1,prestige,ultra,or even a viper are good choices..the wizard 1 being the most common, cheapest variety. I personally don't mind the wizard 2, but prefer the prestige or ultra.

I'd say go with a lo-pro. Original edges are great too, but the lo pro has a slightly better feel (but after playing an OFR for the last year, both feel amazing to me now).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok... great advice so far guys...

Let me get it straight... Edge or Lo pro and Wizard I neck from higher end jap Ibanez's...

Are there any hidden monsters lurking in this project that will rear their ugly heads once I'm ready to start putting big pieces together?

Tags
aanj neck , bridge pickup , dimarzio breed , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolution bridge , edge trem , evolution bridge , evolution bridge pickup , fixed bridge , floyd rose , locking nut , prestige wizard , pro edge , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to recover lost data from roland vs 1680

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode