I need a good metal guitar...I got some questions...help... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I need a good metal guitar...I got some questions...help...

Ok, so I just joined this metal bands that seems to be going places in the near future. My main axe has been my trusty strat for a few years now...but now I need something that's going to handle the job a little better. I'm pretty well school as far as information concerning guitars go, but I haven't been around to play everything like I'm sure a lot of you guys have...

Now...I'm not one to play signature models. I simply just hate the idea of it...I think Jems are amazing guitars, but I simply wouldn't be able to play one on stage. However...I was wondering if Jackson RR models would be considered signature models...I mean, I guess it's sort of like a Les Paul if you think about it in that it's at least named after someone.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend between 450 and 650...a little more wouldn't hurt. I was just looking for some reccomendations...

(...by the way, I love ebony fretboards and string-through fixed bridges, if that narrows the search down at all...)

Sorry about the incoherentness...I'm really tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:07 PM

dude, stick a EMG set on your strat and u'r done.

fender is a great axe, no need to replace it

but if you still want a new guitar for heavey metal get a jackson.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:47 PM

I completely agree with hanban
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Banned

I don't know about being able to stick with the strat. I guess it all depends on the genre of metal you're playing. If you're shooting for like an Iron Maiden-ish metal sound, or another Old school British Metal band sound, the strat would be a good way to go. However, if you're going for the more modern, down tuned, triple rectified sound, an RG or Jackson would def. do the trick. Ibanez guitars are very, very versatile. I'm not really a big fan of the metal genre , but this is just an observation I've made.
Is it just me, or are the way to many types of metal? I mean, British, Thrash, Death, Hardcore, Industrial, speed ect... It's kind of weird that there can be so many subdivisons of one kind of music. It's kind of amusing
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 02:46 AM

Jackson or ESP, be aware they have good pickups on.
or you can even upgrade your Strat with a good set of pickups, depends on what sound you're looking for and what amp you use.

and yes, RR is a signature model.

btw, what you mean you wouldn't be able to play a Jem onstage? you won't need degree to play it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 AM

i say get a kelly!!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Well, the kind of metal I'm playing is pretty extreme yet really melodic. It's definately heavily based around Thrash, but also there's elements of black metal and with the addition of me, softer stuff like Opeth and Anathema.

Anyway, the playabillity of the strat just doesn't seem to be cutting it for that speed...I think I might find a nice Jackson...but being that ESP started putting guitars out again, I was thinking about handing over the extra cash.

What I meant when I said I couldn't play a Jem on stage, was that I just can't buy/play signature models. I dunno why...it just bothers me...cause it was built to be that person's signature, not mine. Oh well...just a personal thing.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 11:13 AM

why not a carvin? ebony fretboard, 24 frets, sperzel, custom choices...

http://www.carvin.com/images/guitar-...ront/DC127.jpg

i´m not related if you ask
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:06 PM

Why would you want a metal guitar? Most people here prefer wood!

Lame...I know. Anyways, if you want a string-through, go for a PGM 301 (when they come out.) Butt kicking tone, string-through, and they look sweet!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 04:32 PM

Wouldn't be able to play a JEM? Does it say "Steve Vai" on it anywhere? Heck there are more signature Strats then just about any other brand of guitar. You are screwing yourself out of a great guitar for just an improper perspective and idealogy. If this doesn't help you go for a Jackson Soloist.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM

get a squier fat strat
best bang for the buck...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
get a squier fat strat
best bang for the buck...

Hehehe, I don't think so...

Anyway, I see what you mean about the bad perspective and all...but that's just the way I see it, and it bothers me either way so there's no helping that.

I seriously might go with a Carvin...I haven't even thought about that. I think THAT would be the 'best bang for the buck'.

Also, I really like the sound look, and from what I can tell, everything else of a Caparison guitar...however, I have NO idea how to get ahold of one or anything like that. If anyone has a website (other than the official site) where I could find some information, I'd REALLY appreciate it. (or any info you can provide would help)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 03:48 PM

I agree with most of the other guys. It's all in the pickups, but if you must buy a new guitar (which we all love to do) I'd get a Jackson.

P.S. B.C Rich makes a large selection of reasonably priced metal guitars. I mean look at a Warlock....They just SCREAM metal!!!

Tags
ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , fat strat , fixed bridge , ibanez guitars , iron maiden , jackson soloist , les paul , signature strat , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode