i need info on the rt650 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

i need info on the rt650

i've got an rt650 from 94 in transparent blue gravure flame on alder. i got the specs and some pics from blue horizon, but i was looking for the 94 catalog scan. that and the ads for it. i am intrigued with this axe as it is a player. i am curious to find out the neck type of this guitar is. the dimensions are the same as the js, but the radius is different. i have swapped the pickups, but it originally was v1, s1, v2 and had a tz trem. i love this guitar, even though its not my rg500 or my sc420. it is a beast right smack dab in between and i would like to know as much as i can about them considering they were made for one year.

rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:37 AM

These are truly awesome guitars. Not only from a playing point of view, but also cosmetically, IMHO, right on. A great value too.

I believe the neck is a "Viper" or "Ultra." I know for sure it's one of the two, but which I am not sure. If memory serves me, it is pretty close to the JPM neck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

gorgeous

the guitar is gorgeous, i knew what i was getting into when i bought it. when i purchased it, i needed a non trem axe for going between drop d and standard. i have a hipshot on my sc420, but can't bring myself to put one on the rt650. plus it has those weird magnum lock gotohs(which are cool until you got to change strings-thank god for sperzel). here is the blue horizon link for the rt650.
http://www.geocities.com/xcvxcv65/ib...banez-92rt.htm

if you notice, the neck dimensions are exactly the same as the early js models, but there is no mention of the radius. i used to think it was the ultra or viper, but i have had an ultra and it feels nothing like it. the viper...well could be, the radius is not 430 by any means, but the dimensions are all off. it feels pretty beefy for an ibanez neck. definitely a cross between ibanez and fender, i i would like to know the exact place between.

rich
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 11:38 AM

I've got an RT750 (Paudauk/Mahogany body) with basically the same specs as the RT650. Great guitar! Basically, the RT (Retro) series was designed to give the RG body a more traditional twist (read: STRAT). The neck is close to a Viper, but not quite. It's actually referred to by Ibanez as the "RT" neck profile. It's VERY Strat-like, with a flatter radius than the JS neck. I love the RT750! The Gotoh Magnum-locking tuners are actually VERY easy to use once you get used to them. Basically, just loosen the string and the tension is relaxed allowing the string to be removed easily and quickly. The only thing that I swapped immediately were the pickups. Aside from that, the RT series is a great value, and a great guitar!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 06:52 PM

I concur. I have an RT650GFB, which is a foto-flame over alder. It has Evos in the neck and bridge and I use it for everything. The neck was originally called the Viper profile, but it has an INCREDIBLE vintage strat feel to it.

The guitars were designed to offer up the RG line to vintage enthusiasts, while retaining some modern features. This is why they have split-5 wiring as well as a push/pull tone for coil splitting.

I've actually installed one of the new Fender Floyd Rose trems (the kind they put on the new Strat Ultra), and it dropped right in! Holds tune as well as the Edge on my RG1200.

Totally a cool guitar.

I actually have the catalog scans from the '93 catalog. I'll look around for them fo you guys. I also have the 92-93 supplement catalog that introduced the RT series and the SC series.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

pickups

the v7 and v8's originally in it went that bad, but they had no character to cut through. i swapped them out with the air norton and tone zone combo(my personal fave), but i had them in black so i ended putting nickel covers on them. very pretty!!! sounds great, it toned them down a bit, but for the rt650 was not looking for agression. when i bought it i was looking to make this my all around beater to take the place of my sc420 as my main stage axe, so i wanted to put either a fishman or l.r. bagss acoustic trem on it, then block it with a tremsetter for drop d work as well. the lack of funds kept me from that, but other than that is great. it is a welcome change at times to go back to that neck from the wizard, as i love chunky strat necks, too.
question, how does that fender floyd feel? like a wilkinson? i was thinking of possibly dropping a wilkinson from carvin into it because the wilkinson's are great flutterers for a vintage style trem.
i like the magnum locks, but they take a little longer to restring than a sperzeled axe. the extra, extra turns you got to put on it to open and close it are a pain, but thankfully for me, i had a cordless screwdriver and a string winder bit....zzzzziiippp! i was looking to finding some replacements from gotoh. does gotoh have the sperzel style lockers with the same base...i don't want to drill. i have a spare set of satin chrome sperzels and was not going to ruin this axe with a drill.

rich
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 11:53 AM

The Magnum Locks are the only locking tuners that Gotoh makes. Any other locking tuners would require additional drilling, but since it's a "player" it shouldn't matter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2002, 10:20 PM

RT650

I just bought an RT650 (blue photo finish) off ebay and I'm blown away by what a good guitar this is! Ibanez was definitely going for more of a vintage vibe with this axe. Mine has V8 S1 V7 pickups which sound killer through my Laney GH50L, Marshall JCM 900 and Boogie 50 Caliber amps. This guitar gets more playing time than my JEM7PBK due it's fuller neck profile and tuning ease. I'd like to see the original catalog scans too!

-Eric
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:21 AM

I personally always liked the RT650's. Great guitars! They were well-built and well-designed enough to make me not even care that it was a photo top! Very cool guitars...too bad Ibanez doesn't currently offer a comparable model. I'll have to try to pick one up myself one of these days

Tags
air norton , coil split , coil splitting , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , ibanez neck , jpm neck , locking tuners , mahogany body , neck dimensions , pull tone , tone zone , vintage strat , vintage style trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode