I need SERIOUS HELP!!!! Please?! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

I need SERIOUS HELP!!!! Please?!

I have been trying to wire up some new EMG's in my 93 ex1700(oddball model I know) the problems I am running into is well.....
1st, the configuration is hum, sin, hum. Problem there is: I am installing the ZW series(emg81 and emg85 humbuckers) I am leaving the OEM single in (temporary of course) and I cannot find a diagram close enough to explain the wiring/connections
2nd, I had to purchase a new 5-way switch (obviously scince ibanez is notorious for premature failure with their switches) I tried to contact manf. as did 6 other dealers where I live with no avail.(this is the only thing I do not like about Ibanez) So the best tech I know (has been repairing Ibanez for 15yrs, and is 1 of only 5 in my state qualified to build Ibanez guitars among others, So I figured his advice was relevent.) suggested a Fender 5-way, I am not big on mixing parts, but he assured me that it would work! (he is out of the country for the next month or I would have just gone to him, and as you all can agree, I cant live without my ax for that long. The switch is completly different and I have no idea where to begin to finish this project/repair.

I know this is a JEM/Universe exclusive (for the most part) site, But I have seen how helpful everyone has been to us "outsiders" so I thought I would give it a shot. I have been to all the manf. and I have gotten no response.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Despeartly waiting,
John-Ibanez FOREVER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: I need SERIOUS HELP!!!! Please?!

Why would using the Fender one be a problem? Anyway, just go get yourself a DiMarzio 5 way switch and you should be fine. You wont be able to use all 5 positions though until you get a single coil but I'm sure you are aware of that.

I've got a 5 way switch still in my RG470 with just an EMG 81-85 combo and until I get a single coil EMG it's wired up so the last position is a kill switch. Unfortunately I couldn't find a wiring diagram either for the 81-85 with a 5 way switch and my Father worked out a wiring plan. Unfortunately I don't have it otherwise I would scan it and upload it here for you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Do I really need to get another switch? nothing wrong with the fender as far as I know, I 'm just not a real big fan of the brand is all. But at any rate, You so SUCK! haha just messin. Dude, you should have saved that, didnt you know I was going to need it?
Thanks anyways. I you come accross anything, please let me know.
thaanks
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM

Why not just get the wiring diagram from EMG?

http://www.emginc.com/support.asp
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Dude, totally tried that, and all the downloads they have on the site are for EMG pup's so I emailed support, and got this message (I thought it was kinda rude, but I could be wrong):

The only Tech at EMG replies:

Here's a diagram. It shows an active pup in the middle, so get the SA.

Best Regards,

Rick Hunt
In-House Technician
EMG Pickups, Inc.
www.emgpickups.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Wait, you want to actually wire up the OEM single coil? I don't see the point, either lose it or install the EMG SA.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 PM

The fender switch will work fine, but it really doesnt work to mix a passive pickup with actives.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Let me ask ya something. Is it possible to modify A 5 way switch, temp, orotherwise?
( I m afraid I know the answer, but I have thought of just about everything else, cant leave anything out.)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 AM

I suppose you could, but they are cheap and easy to replace. If I have a pot or switch that gets "funky" on me, I just replace it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

only reason I am wiring up the OEM is because the manf. States that if you use a 5-way switch with the ZW series, the blank posts will creat feedbadback and possible could blow the speakers in the amp when switch passes over.
So it is causing a bit of a dilema.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinojohn2112 View Post
only reason I am wiring up the OEM is because the manf. States that if you use a 5-way switch with the ZW series, the blank posts will creat feedbadback and possible could blow the speakers in the amp when switch passes over.
So it is causing a bit of a dilema.
Dude you can not wire the stock single up with the 2 emg's.. so disconnect it... leave it in place for looks and run the EMG's with a 3 way. Or try to figure out how to wire it with the 5 way...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Reviews: 120

Why don't you just buy a 3 way for the time being and when you get a single coil EMG put the 5 way in again?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 PM

also did you get the right pots for the EMG's?

Tags
ibanez guitars , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode