i need some acoustic education - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

i need some acoustic education

i've decided i really want and need a good acoustic.

i'm willing to spend up to about $1,500 AUD on a decent acoustic 6 stringer.

i don't know anything about acoustics except that some of the big companies are taylor, maton, martin etc.

i guess i'm looking for a real easy to play acoustic that's capable of low action etc. like an acoustic that an shreddy electric guitar player would be at home with, you know?

i've played a few acoustics (at friends houses and stuff) and i haven't really liked the necks of some of them, way to chunky. are there acoustics with thinner necks?

i'm looking to play a lot of chords on acoustic but also some lead work so it needs to be very playable.

what companies or models should i start checking out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Re: i need some acoustic education

Ovation maybe? I played an adamas once and the neck seemed a lot faster than my Fender's. I liked Takamine too. Not really chunky neck (or it could be just me).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 1

I've never played an acoustic that played better (i.e. had lower buzz-free action) than my Ovation Adamas W597. It's simply amazing.

That said, the neck isn't thin and the guitar wasn't inexpensive either ($2K USD) but it was worth every penny. To be blunt, unless you have smaller than average hands, you can play a thicker neck well. I do not have large hands (they're average in size) but I have no problem getting around on it. On a side note, a lot of guitar play

Based upon what you're looking for, I'd look into the Fender Stratacoustics but bear in mind that low action isn't the best thing for volume on an acoustic and the thinner the body is, the less volume it will project. String gauge is also a consideration as well. Lighter strings will be easier to play but they will also not drive the guitar's top as well as heavier strings so the guitar will produce less volume. Please understand that those characteristics are inherently good or bad but they are worth noting.

Something else worth considering is the quality of the acoustic guitar's top, specifically the thickness. The thinner the top is, the more responsive and dynamic it is. That's one of the reasons I went with the Adamas because its carbon graphite top is super thin and incredibly responsive. None of this may matter to you but it's good to know either way.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 06:31 PM

i recently got a Cole Clark Fat Lady which is really versatile. The ebony board is great and with a nice setup plenty fast enough for an acoustic. The real bonus comes with the sound - better than anything i've ever played and heard especially when amped up.

Should be plenty of choice down under also as they are only in Melbourne. If u get a chance try one mate.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:27 PM

Reviews: 120

Go check out the Ovations for sure.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:32 PM

If you want to play plugged in then look at Ovation. If you want a good sounding acoustic unplugged then try some martins and don't worry too much about the neck profile. Just make sure it has a pro setup and it will be very playable.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:50 PM

I would recommend grand auditorium taylors the 213 i believe? I loved those ones the one I was talking about had a relatively thin neck and was very playable. It had a very nice sound. It was priced at 1000 USD so i may have the wrong model but u get the idea. Martins are not my personal favorite. I like the innovation of ovations but have yet to play any high end ones in person. My personal favs are Breedloves and my own beloved Carvin. the carvin I would really recommend as the stock setup had the best playing lowest action stock of any guitar plus it has a thin but comfortable neck. i like the breedloves that are not the cheapest import ones but the higher end ones. And the carvin is much more affordable although you wont be able to try it out in person unless u live in california.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
If you want to play plugged in then look at Ovation. If you want a good sounding acoustic unplugged then try some martins
Martins do sound nice unplugged but then again so do the nicer Ovations (and I'm not just talking about the $2K ones either).

Quote:
Just make sure it has a pro setup and it will be very playable.
That's the cool thing about Ovations that have the wide adjustable saddles. You can just loosen the strings and easily add or remove shims underneath the saddle to raise or lower the action. I've never seen another acoustic that had the feature. My Ovation Adamas is the only guitar I've ever owned that has never been to a tech for any kind of set-up work...ever.

Last edited by toneboy; 12-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:37 AM

Check out Cole Clark. I have a Fat Lady 1 and a Fat Lady 2/12 string and they both feel awsome. easy to play lead on with the cutaways, great accoustic sound and fantastic electronics if you're gonna go live.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpy View Post
Check out Cole Clark. I have a Fat Lady 1 and a Fat Lady 2/12 string and they both feel awsome. easy to play lead on with the cutaways, great accoustic sound and fantastic electronics if you're gonna go live.
I hear you mate. My FL3 is the best acoustic i've ever played. Took plenty of time to try out Taylor, Martin, Ovation etc etc and the Cole Clark was just in a different league. The live sound blows folk away - will pick up all the nuances of your playing which can be a problem for me though! I know guys who've put down 5k Hummingbirds to pick up a CC...

Don't worry i'm endorsed in any way ;-) Just like well kept secrets like the CC!!!

I'd love the 12 string - v. envious of that one... :-)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:59 AM

Steve Vai's acoustic signature maybe? Google it!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 39

Pre-Fender Tacoma guitars are also awesome!

I've owned 2 of them and both tonally and playing wise they are AMAZING and are roughly in your price range.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Seagull... best tone for your buck. Awesome necks and action too

Tags
acoustic , guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode