I need some parts to a tremelo for a Radius Ibanez R442. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I need some parts to a tremelo for a Radius Ibanez R442.

I just bought a used R442 for $120 bucks and I am pretty psyched. It is missing one of the fine tuner nuts for the Licensed by Floyd Rose tremolo. I looked on Stewmac.com, but they didn't have it.

Where do you think I could find one of these?

Also, what can you tell me about the IBZUSA pickups this thing has? It is H-S-S configuration.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 12:49 PM

The IBZUSA pickups were made by dimarzio for ibanez from the late 80s to early 90s. They are actually neat pickups in my opinion. For more details, do a forum search, since I'm too lazy to type much today, lol.

For Edge Tremolo (that should be the Tremolo on your new guitar) parts, click on the 'Ibanez Rules!' banner on top. That guy has almost everything you'll ever need.

And at last: Congrats on your new guitar! Radius Guitars belong to the finest guitars Ibanez has ever made. Hope you'll enjoy your R as much as I do.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Congrats on getting a 442R! And for $120, that's a steal!

I'm a little puzzled, though... are you sure it's a 442R? The 442R was only listed in the 1992 catalog, and it came stock with a non-locking trem and Gotoh Magnum-Lock tuners, so your guitar is either not a 442, or it's had some aftermarket mods done on it. Could you post some pics?

My 442R (i've had two of them) has a pair of S2 single coils and a V6 humbucker.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:01 PM

Ooops, I missed that. Well it could be an old R540. There also was a 440 in the same config, but that had the V pickups. So, I think it could be a 540.

zenpeace69, take a look at http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/ to see if your axe is pictured somewhere in the old catalogues.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:09 PM

btw darren, I just noticed your 442 has direct mount pickups. Did it initially have pickup rings?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horstausmforst
btw darren, I just noticed your 442 has direct mount pickups. Did it initially have pickup rings?
The double humbucker has a metal type ring around it, but the single coils have no rings. The body looks to be the same shape as the one pictured above in the thread, but it is a solid red colored finish. I will take a look through the catalogs on that site.

Daddy's junky music had it tagged as an R442, but they could be wrong.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Congrats on getting a 442R! And for $120, that's a steal!

I'm a little puzzled, though... are you sure it's a 442R? The 442R was only listed in the 1992 catalog, and it came stock with a non-locking trem and Gotoh Magnum-Lock tuners, so your guitar is either not a 442, or it's had some aftermarket mods done on it. Could you post some pics?

My 442R (i've had two of them) has a pair of S2 single coils and a V6 humbucker.

The body of my guitar is shaped like that, but it has a rosewood fretboard and it has a solid red finish. Also, the humbucker has a metal ring and the single coils don't.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help guys. Here is what I have discovered...

Well, it's not a R442, but a 540RJR from 1988. I had some suspicions it was from the late 80's, but was unsure. Anyhow, I am pleased that I got it at that price.

Were the IBZUSA's really made by dimarzio? Or does it depend on what year and what model guitar they are on?

Are there any other 540RJR owners out there?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 02:25 PM

The 540R is a great guitar... i lusted after a Jewel Blue 540R for a long time, but then i started moving away from Floyd trems (and eventually all trems) so the 442R suits me just fine.

The 442R came from the factory with direct-mounted pickups. The humbucker automatically splits when in position 2. The body is alder and the neck is 1 piece of maple with a maple fretboard. It's a sweet guitar with loads of snap and growl.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeace69
Thanks for all the help guys. Here is what I have discovered...

Well, it's not a R442, but a 540RJR from 1988. I had some suspicions it was from the late 80's, but was unsure. Anyhow, I am pleased that I got it at that price.

Were the IBZUSA's really made by dimarzio? Or does it depend on what year and what model guitar they are on?

Are there any other 540RJR owners out there?
I've had several 540R guitars over the years. My fave stock guitar, period. A few jewel blues, a couple blueburst, a redburst, a white 440, uh...

Yes, the pups are DiMarzio. F1 is very similar to a Breed bridge and C1s are basically HS1 singles.

And look inside the trem cavity. It might have a tremstop unit. If so, and if you don't use it, sell it on eBay and make $50 ;-) .

88 was a good year. In solid colors, it had the best body shape (they varied slightly) and a 5-way switch (87s had minis).

Congrats. I love those guitars.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the help!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Re: I need some parts to a tremelo for a Radius Ibanez R442.

I have a R442, it is one of the cheaper guitars I own but I absolutley love it. The harmonics on it are great and I love the maple fretboard. Not sure why I prefer the maple fretboard but I do.

I am missing the nut on one of the Gotoh Magnum-Lock tuners. I hate to buy a whole set of tuners when all I need is one nut (I guess you call it a nut - the part that screws down on the tuner from the front side of the guitar). Anyone have any ideas where I might get that?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Dee

Re: I need some parts to a tremelo for a Radius Ibanez R442.

Woah! 5 year-old thread!

But this is a lovely looking guitar.

Tags
body shape , breed bridge , darren wilson , direct mount pickups , edge trem , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , floyd trem , maple fret , maple fretboard , mount pickups , mounted pickups , pickup ring , pickup rings , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode