I need sustain, and I'm prepared to buy anything. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I need sustain, and I'm prepared to buy anything.

Clue's in the thread title folks.

I'm finding myself annoyed and disappointed with the lack of sustain to be found on my otherwise excellent ibanez guitars.

I played an LTD Eclipse the other day that, granted, through a nice amp, and live rather than through my home recording setup, seemed to sustain for days.

What guitars should I check out? I intend on spending a day auditioning every guitar I can find for the best sustain I can get. Budget can be massaged, but around the 500 mark.

I'm really not fussed about anything apart from having a beautiful, long natural sustain. I *WILL* sacrifice these other requirements to get it, but it would be ideal if I could also get:

Double Cutaway
Low profile bridge (TOMs are not normally my thing, too high off the body)
Neckthrough
Fixed Bridge
25.5" Scale Length or longer.
Not EMG pickups (But again, I will bend on this)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Re: I need sustain, and I'm prepared to buy anything.

My old beat-up 76 Les Paul had been put back in it's case ever since I got my rg520 a few months ago. Love the rg... but the neck was hurting my fret hand, so I got the Les Paul back out a few days ago. It sustains so much better it is unbelievable! Seriously 4 or 5 times longer.. maybe more. Thats with stock pickups and all.

If possible, try out a solid mahogany guitar with neck-through construction and mahogany neck. I'm looking to maybe buy an Ibanez SZ model... same mahogany build... and the strings mount through the body. Reviews say it has amazing sustain. Very reasonable pricing too!

But if I were you and were willing to spend the cash I would buy a super cool guitar with a built in sustainer. Mainly because I have always wanted to play with one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-Bla...item3f2ff24ce0
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Not interested in a sustainer, because it'll only help on single notes. I want my chords to ring out too!
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM

I'd look at one of the RGT models. There are several of them. The RGT42FX is fixed bridge. I'd get one of the black ones and sand it down, do a nice oil finish on it.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 06-20-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:31 PM

I have a RG2550 that i play live and recorded through a Line 6 POD XT Live, no sustain problem for me, stock IBZ pick-ups as well.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:48 PM

What kind of guitar do you have now?

Who sets it up? You can have a $20k PRS Private Stock with a ****ty setup and a GIO with great set up and the GIO will play better than the PRS. May now "sound" better but will play better.

There are so many factors on a guitar that can affect sustain and cost/price is at the bottom of the list.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Ibanez sustain just fine. How low is your action? That might be a reason for your lack of sustain as well
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, I'm somewhat convinced its mainly down to the necks being so thin, and all my guitars being bolt on. I've found I tend to just get a more stable, better sounding guitar out of a slightly thicker neck whenever I've tried them in shops.

Solid Body wise, currently I have an RG550EX, S7320, and an S2170FW which is actually the worst of the lot in terms of both attack and sustain - it's just always felt like there's a blanket over it, in fact that was the major factor in that guitar getting an Evo2 set. This is despite having had the pocket routed deeper by about 5mm to correct the gap between the fretboard overhang and the body. The S7320 sustains the best, but that's the only one with a neck shim.

Action on all of them has been adjusted many times, and tbh I've always favoured a medium action - too low is.... well, it's too low. I dig in a lot when I play so I need a guitar I can make respond. I had an old strat copy that was set up even a little higher, for the big SRV sound, so I've no problem with a little action, as long as it's not crazy. A Jazz 3 fits perfectly between the high E and the 12th fret of my S7320, so that's 1.38mm action on the high E. Low E wise, probably about 1.7/1.8mm.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

To be honest with you all, I'd already be dropping cash on an LTD EC401VF if it weren't for the fact it's 24.75" scale. If it were 25.5 I'd kill for it.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think somewhat it's the individual guitar and the right set up. My jem7vwh has sustain that is best described as 'boring' but has very low action, I've got other very similar guitars that have similar construction but that just don't ring out the same.

I do wish you all the best in your search though, it's annoying when your guitars don't quite have what you're looking for...
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 06:01 AM

Can you bring one of your guitars to that "nice amp" you played the Eclipse through? It might very well be your home recording setup that's eating up the sustain. Make sure whatever guitar you bring also has new strings on it.

I know that when I want more sustain from a guitar I plug in an OD808 between my guitar and the amp (with the gain all the way down, and volume all the way up). Have you tried that? Clean boosting the signal with a pedal?

Also, any reason why you want a neck through? The EC401VF you played through is a set neck (which is very similar to a bolt on, just glued).

Maybe check out some of the Chapman Guitars seeing as you're in the UK: http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/...45929033page-1

There are a few there that are set neck, with bridges that can be made to be fixed for around the $500 mark.

449 GBP for this: http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bod...e-sunburst.asp

for example... looks like it has the same construction as that LTD. 25" scale length though.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM

I agree on the Chappers guitars. They look so amazing and I've only heard good things about them. They are also made at the same Korean factory where the LTDs are made.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Speaking of ESP guitars, why not a Horizon III? The LTD Elite version doesn't seem that pricey and those things are both neck-thru and string-through. If that doesn't sustain I don't know what would!
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Can you bring one of your guitars to that "nice amp" you played the Eclipse through? It might very well be your home recording setup that's eating up the sustain. Make sure whatever guitar you bring also has new strings on it.

I know that when I want more sustain from a guitar I plug in an OD808 between my guitar and the amp (with the gain all the way down, and volume all the way up). Have you tried that? Clean boosting the signal with a pedal?

Also, any reason why you want a neck through? The EC401VF you played through is a set neck (which is very similar to a bolt on, just glued).

Maybe check out some of the Chapman Guitars seeing as you're in the UK: http://www.andertons.co.uk/Products/...45929033page-1

There are a few there that are set neck, with bridges that can be made to be fixed for around the $500 mark.

449 GBP for this: http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bod...e-sunburst.asp

for example... looks like it has the same construction as that LTD. 25" scale length though.
My home recording setup is a Scarlett 2i4 USB interface straight into cubase, and a tom of amp sims.

My levels are set that palm muting is as close to clipping as it possibly can be, and everything else sits below that.

I also have a Vox AD30VT sitting around from back when I used a real amp to practice - Same deal there. It sustains the note as normal for a little bit, but getting it to carry on and sustain beyond a certain point is an exercise in mad string shaking, trying as hard as possible to get more energy into the string. It's not the way a really good guitar should sustain, and as mentioned, the S2170FW is even worse!
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 AM

Are you using any compression effects in your setup?
That can make a huge difference in sustain and attack...

What pickups are in you guitars besides the Evo2?

I've built a few set neck string through hardtails that sustain beautifully and I also have a basswood RG with an OE trem that has very similar sustain. I honestly believe it's the neck on that one. It's been installed in 3 different bodies and it's been a keeper in all of them...

Try out as many guitars as you can, but try them through a similar setup as the one you are using at home or you might have issues after the sale...

Sometimes it's just finding the right piece of wood too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode