I need tremolo advice!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Louisville
Posts: 15
I need tremolo advice!!

Ok, Here's my problem. I opened up the back cavity of my guitar. I noticed one side of the tremolo "Block" seemed to be "Scraping" against the sides of the cavity. As seen in this picture...



So then i examined the top of the floyd rose to see if it was off set... It was "Straight" but not flush... And was higher on the left side and flush on the other...(As you can see in the pic's.)









Now my action is ok, But what do i need to do. I'm pretty sure the tremolo shouldn't be scraping my guitar cavity... So how do i adjust it, then fix the altered action and return to pitch????? Thanks, for any help given it is GREATLY appreciated..

Last edited by PrestonStrings; 04-18-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: I needed to add some notes.
PrestonStrings is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 AM
 
CosmicDebris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Richmond VA, USA
Posts: 3,980
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

It is obvious not the right trem for that body. Get the right trem or a dremel tool.
CosmicDebris is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Louisville
Posts: 15
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
It is obvious not the right trem for that body. Get the right trem or a dremel tool.
It's the stock tremolo. Lo trs for the Ibanez 7420.. You can see the tilt of the bridge in the second pic..
PrestonStrings is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: buffalo
Posts: 132
Reviews: 3
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

don't believe that is the right tremelo...cavity looks like it was already "modified', or as I see, hacked up...also, why the extreme difference in the height from low to high ???
mtldad is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Louisville
Posts: 15
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtldad View Post
don't believe that is the right tremelo...cavity looks like it was already "modified', or as I see, hacked up...also, why the extreme difference in the height from low to high ???

It's the right tremolo, if the block was changed or not idk, well i bought it two days ago used from a music shop, it's a great playing guitar already, I just really can't stand for the things un-perfect. well at least if it's something fixable. By my eye judgments i should be able to just level the bridge and the scraping will cease... Now i guess my question is can i do this? how do i do this? and how will i set my action back up...
PrestonStrings is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

That angle on the bridge is because action is low on the treble side than it is on the bass side. Its normal for it to be slightly tilted.

Yours is TOO tilted but as its a 7 string its understandable that someone using a too thin low B string and trying to get rid of buzz might have raised it that far. Regardless, making the bridge 'level' will compromise the playability of your guitar.

Secondly, the cavity on that guitar has already been hacked up to make that tremolo fit. Its obviously not original hardware.

firstly - Route out the cavity so the trem block has COMPLETELY unimpeded movement along the WHOLE of its travel. That will solve your sticking issues.

Secondly, get the guitars action and string guage sorted out properly. Take it to a tech or do it yourself its your choice, but one side of your bridge is way out of whack.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Louisville
Posts: 15
Re: I need tremolo advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
That angle on the bridge is because action is low on the treble side than it is on the bass side. Its normal for it to be slightly tilted.

Yours is TOO tilted but as its a 7 string its understandable that someone using a too thin low B string and trying to get rid of buzz might have raised it that far. Regardless, making the bridge 'level' will compromise the playability of your guitar.

Secondly, the cavity on that guitar has already been hacked up to make that tremolo fit. Its obviously not original hardware.

firstly - Route out the cavity so the trem block has COMPLETELY unimpeded movement along the WHOLE of its travel. That will solve your sticking issues.

Secondly, get the guitars action and string guage sorted out properly. Take it to a tech or do it yourself its your choice, but one side of your bridge is way out of whack.
Thank you sir, that's just what i was looking for. Thanks everyone!
PrestonStrings is offline  
Reply

Tags
ibanez seven string , tremolo lo trs

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRS tremolo vs. Floyd Rose pro tremolo bjamin86 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 5 01-25-2010 09:27 AM
Any advice on putting Tremolo from a JS1000 into a custom body? Stevodod Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 2 08-02-2008 01:18 PM
New tremolo Kramerman Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 02-09-2008 09:57 PM
Zr Tremolo superhairycamel Comments to Ibanez 16 01-04-2006 05:59 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome