I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Dug

I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble

I put it up for sale and was told by **** through E.L.V.H. INC. that that was unacceptable! As far as I am concerned that is a bunch of horse ****. How can you copywright a "random stripe" paintjob?!
If someone can explain then I will calm down.
I will then paint a guitar every color (including bare wood) and screw everyone (under my copywright) that bought a guitar.
I have been a long time Vai and EVH lover but that is the last EVH straw.
I love his tone but for cryin' out loud! If I drink Smokin' Loon will I get in trouble too?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:51 PM

Re: I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble

Sorry to hear that, I would think it would be wrong to do that because of copyright but what gets me is these fake Ibanez guitars you see out there.
post #3 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM

ELVH Inc?

Eddie "Loser" Van Halen????

Yeah this is just pathetic.. You must of done a good job
post #4 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:20 AM

Apparently that's all he's got to cling to.

Those new Charvels he endorses are a complete ripoff and everyone should be boycotting them anyway. They are just a weak strat copy with a goofy paint job. I'd rather have any Prestige (or J.Custom for that money) than that surfboard.

And I believe that George Lynch had a striped guitar like that (black with gold stripes) back in the day too didn't he? So it's doubtful that they can copyright the striped guitar, but the colors on the Charvels that you used may be a different story. And any copyright is up for judicial review if you want to waste your money and choose to sue.
post #5 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM

Can you post a pic of it?
post #6 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM

i remember reading something on vh.com about any striped color on a solid background is a copyright of ed's. i don't understand the big deal about it.
post #7 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:30 AM

its called a paycheck every month if someone refuses or fights it..
post #8 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 AM

They just count on you not having the money to sue or countersue to void the copyright. Copyrighted headstocks are accepted, but the paint job seems pretty weak. So why not copyright a tiger-eye quilt or the Ibanez sparkle red? I don't think the striped paint coypright would stand in court, but I'm no copyright lawyer.
post #9 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:36 AM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs down Re: I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble

It is ridiculous!!! with the amount of people selling replicas on the bay
post #10 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 AM

What's rediculous is EVH inc is watching for copies closer than Ibanez or Gibson.
post #11 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
What's rediculous is EVH inc is watching for copies closer than Ibanez or Gibson.
the other two obviously dont care or need the money to care. But I agree Ibanez should be all over those fakes.
post #12 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 AM

Those Charvel EVH models aren't worth more than $600.00 or $700.00 bucks, but look at what they're getting for them. Sad thing is, there are people paying it. But to jump a guy for painting a guitar similar to those and trying to sell it on the Evilbay is bogus. Now if you listed it as an EVH model Frankinstrat they might have ya. You'd probably just have to list it differently.
post #13 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 AM

Cool Re: I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Those Charvel EVH models aren't worth more than $600.00 or $700.00 bucks, but look at what they're getting for them. Sad thing is, there are people paying it. But to jump a guy for painting a guitar similar to those and trying to sell it on the Evilbay is bogus. Now if you listed it as an EVH model Frankinstrat they might have ya. You'd probably just have to list it differently.
I preffer the old Kramer models a million times over!!!
post #14 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 AM

Don't think i get it. Are you not all opposed of people selling fake jems on the bay and want Ibanez to do something about it. Here it seems, is a company who does something about it and it appears to be wrong too? I would be happy if Ibanez would do the same.
post #15 of 150 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 02:02 AM

Exclamation Re: I painted an EVH 5150 replica and got in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Don't think i get it. Are you not all opposed of people selling fake jems on the bay and want Ibanez to do something about it. Here it seems, is a company who does something about it and it appears to be wrong too? I would be happy if Ibanez would do the same.
There is a big difference the Chinese are MASS PRODUCING these fakes and they are trying to pass them as the real deal, this poor guy is trying to sell a replica gone wrong, what is the problem with that??? For instance, think of the people that sell swirled bodies on the bay, does anyone complain about it? I think not...
Closed Thread

Tags
charvel evh , charvel model , custom shop , david mccarroll , eddie van halen , electric guitar , evh art series , evh charvel , evh charvels , evh guitars , fret wire , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , ibanez guitars , jackson custom shop , jem dna , jem pmc , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , john sykes , kramer baretta , les paul , les paul custom , les pauls , maple neck , monkey grip , music store , neck dimensions , paul reed , paul reed smith , playing guitar , quilted maple , reed smith , root beer jem , scalloped fretboard , signature guitar , steve vai , tone monster , tone zone , van halen , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode