I played a Gieger today -my thoughts on it.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
I played a Gieger today -my thoughts on it....

First, the metal finish is actually very cool. The next thing you notice is the graphite compound neck- yes, it is plastic - and it looks a bit wierd how it connects to the metal headstock.

This is a heavy guitar folks. For an example think mid-80's Norlin era Les Paul Custom-heavy. I think they had to use an S-body because if they used the standard thickness Jem or Universe body the weight would be rediculous.

The neck has an abalone binding even at the bottom of the board by the neck pickup. I don't know what pickups are used, but the metal-bobbins look cool and they sound great saturated, not so 'refined' on clean settings. I played it through a Budda 30 combo and a Marshall 1974 reissue combo.

The setup was 'tolerable' to me but I'm sure Rich cringes as he opens the case on these guitars. It has this rotating adjustment on the back above the cavity cover I think it regulates the tension on the trem-which looks different to me from other Ibanez trems....

I too have reservations about the Korean assembly, but for a different type of guitar it's cool overall.

Shady points:
1) where the headstock meets the neck is lame.
2) Plastic neck
3) price
4) weight

THESE ARE JUST JEMAHOLIC'S OPINIONS - your take may be far different from mine - but after having spent a good half hour alone with the guitar, and with every intention of buying one today - they called me to say it was in and I went right over. I think the guitar is worth a few grand but.....(shakes head)......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 AM

Re: I played a Gieger today -my thoughts on it....

Any words about the quality? (it being Korean) How did it play and just curious, were the fret-ends anything special considering the price?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 AM

Cool. I know Kosaku has one and he said the same thing. It is heavy. I'd love to try one out. I think they look really cool. Nice review.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Vendor

That's what the neck is? Nobody ever said anything about it. I thought it was just sprayed matte black!

For Korean the fret ends are dressed pretty well, and the frets are polished to a mirror glow. I'm sure they couldn't help that as a side effect of char polishing the rosewood while polishing the inlays.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That's what the neck is? Nobody ever said anything about it. I thought it was just sprayed matte black!

For Korean the fret ends are dressed pretty well, and the frets are polished to a mirror glow. I'm sure they couldn't help that as a side effect of char polishing the rosewood while polishing the inlays.

Yeah Rich - they swore up and down about this new 'carbon-composite' neck but couldn't provide paperwork confirming it. It wasn't a stretch to believe when you play the guitar. These days I believe half of what I read and none of what I hear.....you know the drill better than most....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2007, 09:58 AM

Ibanez trying to copy Vigier's 10/90 neck?

Regards

André

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 PM

it isnt any special....looks good..plays nice...but when ists from korea...did i say more?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
it isnt any special....looks good..plays nice...but when ists from korea...did i say more?
The serial number will tell you if its from Korea or not.

Regards

André

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 02:12 AM

The neck material is 5pc maple/bubinga with black matte finish, not plastic.

Thanks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Ibanez trying to copy Vigier's 10/90 neck?
Wouldn't they wonder why 90% of the Vigier neck is still wood lol?

Tags
abalone binding , cavity cover , ibanez trem , les paul , les paul custom , neck pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode