I really need help identifying this Ibanez model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I really need help identifying this Ibanez model

Hi there,

I bought this guitar a while back and i'm having a nightmare identifying it's model! It looks like a RG550, it has an odd tonic purple/pink colour.

Serial number: F937066

So, Made in Japan 1989 apparently.

However, the headstock doesn't have the Ibanez imprint. I have no idea what model this would be, the seller claimed this to be a prototype (sounds dodgy), he also (I think) claimed it to be a DX. I found a guitar that looks similar in the 89 catalog, the Ibanez RG550, which also lists violet under the availiable finishes (which I believe my guitar could be). The problem with the RG theory is that my guitar has an extra back panal than the other ones I have seen. The guitar plays beautifully and sounds nice, I do believe it to be a Ibanez (Ibanez is imprinted on the neck-plate also, if this even means anything..) but I just can't identify the model! It has the s1 stock pick-ups on it.

I do have pictures of the guitar but as this is my first post it seems I can't post them, I'm more than happy to PM anyone with links to the photos of the guitar. I've got such a headache trying to figure out what guitar this haha..

Any help would be so so so so appreciated!

Last edited by Crosseyedbear; 07-08-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: I really need help identifying this Ibanez model

Post the link to the pics. Also, taking the neck off would tell you what kind of guitar you were dealing with.

Jimmy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I can't post pics because of my post count being under 10! Would you be able to post the links to them for me if I PMed you the URLs?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

The "extra" back panel is the input jack access. You'll notice that the guitar probably has no jack plate. This sounds like a Purple Neon RG-550 or RG-570. Does it have a pickguard, or is it a rear rout? Email me the pics to:
[email protected]
I'll take a look and tell you what it really is.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
The "extra" back panel is the input jack access. You'll notice that the guitar probably has no jack plate. This sounds like a Purple Neon RG-550 or RG-570. Does it have a pickguard, or is it a rear rout? Email me the pics to:
I'll take a look and tell you what it really is.
Thanks, i've emailed you!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

This is a 1993 RG-570 PN (Purple Neon). Somebody scratched off the Ibanez logo--very easy to do, as it's just screen printed on. The neck pickup is not stock, and I suspect the bridge pup as well. Somebody added an aftermarket clear Jem77BFP style pickguard.

I've got two of these--check out my thread with the "twins."

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/pu...it-103447.html

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Once again, thank you so much! I paid about £250 inc p&p for this guitar about 4 years ago as a gigging guitar and loved it but I never tried to find out what the guitar is. (A guitar was a guitar to me, it played lovely.. but finally my curiosity got the better of me!)

I'm going to clean this guitar up and try and restore it to its former glory, thank you!

Tags
guitar , ibanez , identify , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode