I think I live in a country obsessed with paying too much - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

I think I live in a country obsessed with paying too much

So I was looking at strats today on Ikebe. And I saw these (to understand it in dollars just look at the price without the last two zeros):

1 http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=123023

2 http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=122627

3 http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=120812 (My buddy in high school had a guitar just like this It didn't feel $3000 good, but I must admit it was amazing).

4 http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=118666

They aren't relics, or custom shops, just old, but I never thought that 70s and 80s strats that have been played fairly hard should be worth this much. Correct me if I'm wrong (Cid will know) but weren't the 80s particularly bad for Fender and the 70s aren't everyone's favorite either with the 3 bolt neck and all. Now I know I could be completely out of my mind as to what people are willing to pay but $2500-4000 for a 70s or 80s Fender is kinda crazy to me I understand this a bit: http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/goods_detail.php?g_id=121885 it's one of the magic era strats but the others aren't from any of those eras.*

What do you think, are they worth it, am I off my rocker?

I just think Japanese people don't want to buy something if it ain't expensive. I hear it all the time. The average wedding is $50,000, renting an average wedding dress is $4000 for only one day. Drivers school cost $3500 and takes a month or two. English lesson cost $3000, $700 hand bags, Mesa Boogie heads are $5000, Levi's jeans for $150, Abercrombie clothes are $200 or more etc. Maybe it's just that people will do anything to get what isn't readily available.

*BTW I love strats and this isn't a bash I just thought these eras weren't the best and in my experience they aren't. In the 80s I'd by and Ibanez before a Fender, but these days both are great. Every company goes through ups and downs. Right now I have serious GAS for a good strat but I got no money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: I think I live in a country obsessed with paying too much

But the all conquering Nissan GT-R is half price compared to it's UK price so deal with it
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
But the all conquering Nissan GT-R is half price compared to it's UK price so deal with it
yea, thats the kinda car that makes you think, "do I Need a house?"
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Ha it is a cool car.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 AM

lol... but thats one of the things that make Japan so cool... i mean just go to ginza or ochanomizu
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 AM

Not sure about the 80s, but the 70s seemed to be pretty dismal times for just about every guitar company. I don't know about in Japan, but I blame stupid prices on stuff like that here on people not knowing the difference between vintage and old. I'm not sure how the rumor started, but for some reason people think 20 years = vintage. So a guitar that was a dog back in it's day should now be worth a ton of money. They usually follow a stupid asking price with "much better than what's being produced today".
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Reviews: 22

Wow Mesas costing 5k?

There are all sorts of schemes going thru my head rite now.

Can you give us some more examples of extreme prices over there?

so do Kranks,H*k,Egnater,Bogner,etc. go high too.?

just wandering.

I seem to live in the country that makes me think i need 3 stacks of speakers..........
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEE HAMMER View Post
Wow Mesas costing 5k?

There are all sorts of schemes going thru my head rite now.

Can you give us some more examples of extreme prices over there?

so do Kranks,H*k,Egnater,Bogner,etc. go high too.?

just wandering.

I seem to live in the country that makes me think i need 3 stacks of speakers..........
Everything you listed is probably double of what it is in the States.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Yeah, the 70s really sucked for Fender. CBS was in full swing cutting quality to turn a buck. That actually has a lot to do with Ibanez getting popular, they started copying the good design of the older fenders since they weren't doing it anymore.

Tags
70s , 80s , strats , vintage guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode