I think I need a new edge... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I think I need a new edge...

Hi guys. I just got my first Ibanez (RG520) a couple of days ago and it played fine until today. Basically I was messing around with the edge for a bit and when I pulled it up the springs "snapped" on me and the bridge came off the studs and the blocks inside the saddles came loose; all of it.

So I'm guessing this is pretty much unrepairable and I might as well just go **** shopping for another edge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: I think I need a new edge...

The springs "snapped"?!? I don't understand exactly what happened. Do you have pics?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:46 PM

that is horrible simply horrible, are you a body builder or something. jesus post pics please.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 AM

Tremolos are the devil.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 AM

Post some pics and I am sure we can help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a camera except for my phone which I lost the cable to connect to my laptop anyway. Hopefully you guys can get the picture with the details (sorry about the no pics)

I guess "snapped" isn't the right way to say it since I didn't actually snapped the springs off (though I probably did overpower it on the pullup), but that's how the bridge came loose from the studs and now it squeaks like crazy whenever I try to divebomb with it, and the bridge itself is harder to set up parallel to the body now. With the strings off, the bridge came off the studs (I don't know if this is uncommon or not, but this guitar is also my first experience with a floyd rose) even if I put a little block there to stop it from sinking into the cavity. Surprising, I can still use the saddles even if the blocks are loose, but I can't keep the low E string in its saddle as the block won't hold it in place.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:30 AM

Reviews: 21

Forgive me if this sounds bad, but I'm just trying to figure out what happened.
Did your individual saddles slide free from the intonation screws? Open up the back. Did one of the springs pop off the big block on the bottom of the trem? Did the trem simply slip up off the studs? I've had that happen on a rare occassion though it's a bit more common with Edge 3, especially after changing strings.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyn3938 View Post
I don't have a camera except for my phone which I lost the cable to connect to my laptop anyway. Hopefully you guys can get the picture with the details (sorry about the no pics)

I guess "snapped" isn't the right way to say it since I didn't actually snapped the springs off (though I probably did overpower it on the pullup), but that's how the bridge came loose from the studs and now it squeaks like crazy whenever I try to divebomb with it, and the bridge itself is harder to set up parallel to the body now. With the strings off, the bridge came off the studs (I don't know if this is uncommon or not, but this guitar is also my first experience with a floyd rose) even if I put a little block there to stop it from sinking into the cavity. Surprising, I can still use the saddles even if the blocks are loose, but I can't keep the low E string in its saddle as the block won't hold it in place.
I can't figure out what could have happened though it sounds fixable. The bridge is not supposed "ttached"to the studs. Merely anchored against. Maybe it's lined up wrong now. If it is, you are probably killing the knife edges (hence the squeak).

If it will help you out, you can take a pick w/ your phone and send it to my phone, I will post it on here for you. PM me for the #.

Last edited by Bowie; 10-15-2008 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Reviews: 18

All jokes aside, you should take a look at Rich's setup page and try to figure out what's going on and why the string blocks came loose.

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 10-15-2008 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

^ I think you're actually right and I will take a look at that page. I finally figure one part of the problems: I didn't adjust the spring tension to my strings (.12-.56) let alone add another one lol... The spring still sqeak a bit but the guitar now stop sliding off the studs once I put .9-.42s on there.

Don't know what to do about the loose blocks though. I put them back into the saddles and luckily they hold the strings in place except the for the .42 which been sliding off for several tries. Tunings have been... Urgh.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM

It sounds like the springs just came loose from the block, in which case the trem would get pulled right off the studs by the tensioned strings. Either way, it should be easy enough to put back together. Put a spring retainer bar on it this time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Reviews: 18

I also think that the fact that you're using 12's in that axe isn't helping matters very much.

Jimmy
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyn3938 View Post
Take the picture, then send a picture message to your email account (instead of a phone number, just put the email address). Voila!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode