I think RGs are UGLY! - More different body shapes please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I think RGs are UGLY! - More different body shapes please

Who else thinks RGs are ugly? They're really visually unbalanced, with the pointy carved-out-Strat-horns against the almost square un-curve, and what about contouring?

Well, i think the Ibanez line could do with more different body shapes, compared to the ESP or Schecter (especially) lines. If i'll buy an Ibanez, it'll never be an RG, no matter how good it plays... that's for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 02:44 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

Well I won't say it's ugly, because I like it hehe.

But, I will say Ibanez needs some damn variety. Like 90% of the line is based on that friggen body. Bleh. They need to be a tad more creative imo, not just inlays, pickguards, different color hardware and a few pointless routings.

Something new dammit!
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 09:02 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

Well, i think the RG is the most perfect body shape/shared with the strat. They should only have the RG shape on the more expensive models i think... * And some variation would certainly be welcome... !
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 09:33 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

I understand your thoughts, but I guess I don't consider the RG ugly...though it does convey the sentiment: "I'm here to rock!" *I prefer the S body, but I like the extra wood mass on the RG and there are a lot more models to choose from.

Agreed, let's have something new. *I'd love a slightly thicker S, maybe chambered.
Greg
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 10:09 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

"Ugly" might be a bit strong, but i do agree with you that i've always found the RG/JEM body shape to be a bit extreme and visually unbalanced. The deep cutaways obviously have major functionality, but i find the horns, especially the lower one, to be far too thin and pointy, and in too great a contrast to the rest of the body's mass. (The RBM model went even further to the extreme.)

Jackson has accomplished the same kind off high-register access with their Soloist and Dinky body styles, while looking a bit more unified and balanced from a design perspective.

I think Ibanez has been milking the RG line for all it's worth, and this is likely why Ibanez is considered to be a "shred" guitar line associated with the late 80's. It seems if it's not an RG or an S series guitar, you won't find it in the Ibanez lineup, with a few notable exceptions such as their jazz guitars.

I'd really like to see Ibanez do more exploration and experimentation with their guitar line. The Ergodyne and BTB basses are fantastic, but where's the innovation on the guitar side? I'd love to see Ibanez bring back the kind of forward-thinking that inspired the Maxxas and Artfield lines.

And bring back the Radius series as a standard line!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 10:09 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
I think RGs are UGLY!

i disagree on all counts (ugly, unbalanced, etc) but it's nothing but a personal opinion. This is why so many size and shaped guitars are made ...glen
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 10:37 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

This is another one of those threads that all boils down to personal opinion. IMO the RG design is far from ugly. It was actually voted one of the top 10 guitar designs of all time in a recent article in the UK magazine "Guitarist".
Ibanez could introduce some new designs but then look at Fender. The Strat and Tele have been the backbone of their range since they began. Sure there have been some subtle variations in spec over the years but the basic spec has remained unchanged over the years.
The RG design is surely the backbone of the Ibanez range. While Jackson and Kramer were making Floyd equiped guitars with Hot Pickups for a while before the RG was introduced, it is important to recognise that it is the RG which really made the "Superstrat" readily available and easily affordable for the guitar playing public.

Just a thought

Matt
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 12:14 PM

Reviews: 5
I think RGs are UGLY!

here's another vote for the RG. *I wouldn't want it any closer to the Strat body. *I think the Soloist is a happy medium between the RG and the Strat. *That's why I didn't buy a Strat. *I don't like the big club-like horns. *I like the sharp edges and the deep curves. I think in terms of production model guitars, it may be the best refinement of the stratocaster shape ever. *With that said, I do think they ought do diversify a little. *I understand that the JEM came first and then the RG looks like it, but I think some of the other models ought to be a little different. *To all but the very trained eye, the PGM, JPM and the K-7 look identical. *If they offered a few more models, they might be more successful.

The point about Fender is interesting. *However, they also offer

- the Jazzmaster
- the Mustang
- the Cyclone
- the Telecaster

I think it's fine for Ibanez to stress the Jem/RG shape, but it would be good to introduce some other more attractive body shapes. *And NO, reissues of the Iceman, the X or any other pointy embarassing 80's relic is not good enough.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 02:42 PM

I think RGs are UGLY!

I find the RG body a very beautiful design. I have to be carefull when using the word "design", the strict sense of "design" is "functionality". But design also means "functionality integrated in a beautiful shape". And that's where the problems occur. "beautiful" is a matter of personal taste.

IMHO, the RG has both (funcionality and is beautiful). *the contours are perfectly placed (to my requirements), and the shape is beautiful. The more I look at it, the more I like it...

I must commit, when "designing" my custom guitar, I redesigned the RG body a bit. (I extended the upper horn a bit, did some work on the lower).
http://users.skynet.be/bs981341/whatigot.html
But the overall shape stayed.

But then again, that's just my opinion. That's why there's so much variety in guitarbodies.

Cheers,
Joten
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 04:42 PM

I think RGs are UGLY!

I like the RG body, but I find the sharp edges aren't always that comfortable, and the ass-end (the bottom of the body? does is have a name?) seems a little too square.. That region of the body doesn't seem to have much styling at all. I'd like to see some variations on the RG body shape at least.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 05:33 PM

I think RGs are UGLY!

I love the RG look. I think it's beauuuuuutiful. If you don't like it then you just don't know what's good.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 02:26 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

Kremlin brought up a good point, the RG's edges could use some rounding. Maybe a 1/4-1/2" radius, that'd be really nice imo.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 03:14 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

See, and I love the harshness of the RG body style,the pointyness, and hard edges. *That is what drew me to them, they don't look like those girly man guitars LOL J/K, I love the RG shape, and I find them perfect for me
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 05:59 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

I like the RG. *I think it can be a bit harsh as well but I think it is Ibanez's trademark guitar....

I agree bring back the artfield it is one of the most beautiful guitars Ibanez created.....

Make the Artist series more like it used to be, classic and well made... Thats another Ibanez trademark guitar....
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 07:11 AM

I think RGs are UGLY!

Ugly?
Visual unbalanced?
Too squared bottom?

Fluke, are you blind?
Go buy a $5.000 'sweet rounded' PRS and leave us alone.

nuno

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , body shape , custom guitar , custom shop , fixed bridge , fret neck , guitar playing , jackson soloist , les paul , neck joint , parker fly , production model , reversed headstock , rich warlock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , strat body , super strat , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode