I want to try something other than Ibanez. Suhr Rammus? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

I want to try something other than Ibanez. Suhr Rammus?

I've been playing Ibanez for 7 years now and my last Ibanez purchase was disappointing. I've come to realize that out of the box Ibanez guitars are not ready to play. I'm not just talking about action, but also the fret work and inconsistent fretboard radii matching that hampers the ability to achieve a decently low action without any major buzzing or dead spots on the neck. I know how to do all the tech work to fix this stuff, but over the years I've found that I spend way more time tinkering with Ibanez guitars than playing with them. Plus the fact that only their highest range of guitars and most expensive comes with real Dimarzio pickups is so silly now. I don't like that I have to buy the guitar AND buy new pickups and install them in. Again, I want to focus more on playing than setting up. (Yes I do understand that all guitars need some setting up every now and then).

So I'm interested in trying something new. I can list some of the things that I am looking for in the new guitar.

-24 frets
-Professional fret work
-Thinner neck
-At least some type of decent setup where only minor modifications are necessary.
-Comes stock with USA made pickups (dimarzio, duncan)
-Floyd or standard bridge I don't care because I know how to deal with either.
-Ability to sound good playing with heavy distortion (metal)
-Under $1300.

Also I live in the Middle East and can only order from http://www.thomann.de/intl/index.html because the shipping price with them is fair compared to the atrocious amounts I would have to pay if I ordered from the US.

Through some research I found a guitar company called Rammus that is made by Suhr. The bodies/necks are made in Asia, but then the guitar is built in the USA where it has professional fret work done to it, has a pro setup, and it has USA made Suhr pickups in them, and Japanese bridges (Gotoh) and on the website I mentioned it costs $1229. Other good points is that it has a 16' radius and has a slim, C shaped neck which is comparable to Ibaenz necks. Has anyone used these guitars and can give me a brief review? Are they worth it? Any other suggestions?
You can read more about the specs here: http://www.rasmusguitars.com/

Thank you.

Last edited by Yousef; 02-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Re: I want to try something other than Ibanez. Suhr Rammus?

Absolutely. I'd try an EBMM, they're great guitars, handmade, and ready to play out of the box. I'd try one of the JP variants, like a JPX. You won't get one for 1300 new, but you might could find one used for that price. Good luck.

Tags
suhr rammus ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode