i wonder . . . - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

i wonder . . .

. . . i work in a pawn shop and i see tons and tons of first act guitars. i wonder if these will be the silvertones/harmonys of the future . . . maybe i should start buying a bunch of these things . . .

i doubt it, but you never know . . . who knows what's going to one day be collectible. i've seen a few old playstation games selling for $400+ on *bay

sorry . . . i was just thinking out loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Re: i wonder . . .

Don't apologize, it's an interesting question at the very least. Some people spend a lot of time speculating, planning, and buying the "next great collectible."

First of all, remember that folks collect just about anything and enjoy being mini-experts in a particular area. If you like First Act guitars, begin a collection. But don't do it because you think they're going to be worth a ton of dough one day. I doubt that.

New things that are high-quality and scare or rare have a good shot at becoming collectible. In the Ibanez world, DNAs and other JEMs are probably the best bet.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 05:42 PM

I would say rarity and quality and individuality are pretty important in making something collectible, which those guitars don't really have.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 06:25 PM

Just keep an eye out for rare or just plain interesting to you instruments. I'am sure you see a lot of cool guitars pass buy at the pawnshop.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 PM

If your whole thing is turning a profit, there are much better things to invest your money in then beginner guitars made in poor countries.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Banned

if i were you id just look out for bargains.as far as guitars go i dont think most pawn shops know of real value.imagine a jem fantic in a pawn shop and there on the wall was a 777lng with a price tag of $200 hahaha hey i bet such a thing has happened.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins345669 View Post
I would say rarity and quality and individuality are pretty important in making something collectible, which those guitars don't really have.
but could you make the argument that the same was true for silvertones in their day? the only reason they're rare today is because they were so cheap at the time and not too many have survived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstar View Post
Just keep an eye out for rare or just plain interesting to you instruments. I'am sure you see a lot of cool guitars pass buy at the pawnshop.
o' yeah you'd be surprised at some of the things that come through here. there's actually a '65 fender bass V (super rare!!) in pawn right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
if i were you id just look out for bargains.as far as guitars go i dont think most pawn shops know of real value.imagine a jem fantic in a pawn shop and there on the wall was a 777lng with a price tag of $200 hahaha hey i bet such a thing has happened.
well this is partly true. since the advent of the internet and *bay it's not too hard to find the value of almost anything. but, that's exactly why i was hired: to deal with the musical instruments only . . . that's all i do. a 777lng for $200? hrmm, probably has happened. how about an rg20th for $200? or a 7wh for $350? or a '59 reissue lp for $400? or a uv77mc for $800? . . . i've seen all of those and much, much more.

thanks for the responses guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode