Iba-strat? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Iba-strat?

Has anyone ever put single-coils into an RG550?

I was just thinking, there's plenty of guys that put humbuckers in a strat. So is there anyone that's put single-coils into an Ibanez to make it a strat sounding guitar?...or would this be blashphemy? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Re: Iba-strat?

I was going to put one of these on a rg350,

But just never got around to it. It would move the neck pickup farther back then it would be on a strat.
Who knows though, I think it would be cool.
There are a few color options for that type of pickguard on Ebay.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningflash View Post
Has anyone ever put single-coils into an RG550?

I was just thinking, there's plenty of guys that put humbuckers in a strat. So is there anyone that's put single-coils into an Ibanez to make it a strat sounding guitar?...or would this be blashphemy? LOL
I thought about it with my 350 but I decided to get a new amp and now the 350 is on the chopping block. I dont see it as sacrilegious though, especially since there are old Blazers that are SSS and hardtail.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Yes, I did this back in 1998.
A luthier friend of mine from way back, made me a mirrored SSS pickguard for my RG550.
I put a full set of Fender SRV pickups in it and all the original electronics from a strat plus in it too.
It had three knobs like a Strat with a five way switch and TBX tone control.

It sound more like a Strat then most Strats do!

I sold it about a year ago.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Yes, I did this back in 1998.
A luthier friend of mine from way back, made me a mirrored SSS pickguard for my RG550.
I put a full set of Fender SRV pickups in it and all the original electronics from a strat plus in it too.
It had three knobs like a Strat with a five way switch and TBX tone control.

It sound more like a Strat then most Strats do!

I sold it about a year ago.

I have to say, that's pretty awesome!
Why did you sell it?
I have a buddy who plays in a country band and is a die-hard pro-Fender everything. Over the last couple of years though, I've opened his eyes to some other guitars. I'd love to make him gig one of these, it could possibly throw his whole world off kilter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:10 AM

I have so many JEM and Universe guitars that I just don't play my RGs much.

I have-
RG550FRF
RG770DX Blue
RG350MYE
RG1XXV
RG??? I forget the name Green Digi-Camo with an Egde III

I don't even play these very often.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:00 AM

i meant to do that for quite some time. always wanted a Strat-type guitar, but i don't like Fender necks, and I don't care for that name on the headstock anymore, I guess. wizard ii + rg body + SSS oh the sheer joy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 AM

I have loads of RG's with 3 singlecoil, it works great, why wouldn't it?
It have to be a good copy of trem RG's for it to not be too bright/thin in the bridge position (depending on what singlecoils you want to use, I have weak vintage style one).

I have with mini humbuckers or P90s too.

/Magnus
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:18 PM

The only problem really is with a 24-fret neck, you're moving the neck singlecoil back a bit, maybe 1/2" to 3/4." Whether or not it's critical to have the neck singlecoil "right under the 24th fret harmonic node" or any crap like that is actually true, there's no denying that shifting it back maybe a third of the way towards the middle position is going to change the tone a little bit, and give it something that isn't QUITE as fat and round as your classic strat neck pickup tone, simply because it's capturing a different part of the string.

For some people, heck, that might even be desirable. It's definitely not a reason NOT do do it, but rather another reason (along with body wood, neck thickness, bridge, nut material, etc) why you shouldn't expect it to sound exactly like a Fender when you're done.

Never tried it, but I would imagine basswood actually handles singlecoils well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The only problem really is with a 24-fret neck, you're moving the neck singlecoil back a bit, maybe 1/2" to 3/4." Whether or not it's critical to have the neck singlecoil "right under the 24th fret harmonic node" or any crap like that is actually true, there's no denying that shifting it back maybe a third of the way towards the middle position is going to change the tone a little bit, and give it something that isn't QUITE as fat and round as your classic strat neck pickup tone, simply because it's capturing a different part of the string.

For some people, heck, that might even be desirable. It's definitely not a reason NOT do do it, but rather another reason (along with body wood, neck thickness, bridge, nut material, etc) why you shouldn't expect it to sound exactly like a Fender when you're done.

Never tried it, but I would imagine basswood actually handles singlecoils well.
You are right, it won't sound like a strat.
But then again, different strats can sound very different.

Basswood are fine with singlecoils in my ears.
I think most woods are, humbuckers are less "forgiving".

/Magnus
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag View Post
You are right, it won't sound like a strat.
But then again, different strats can sound very different.

Basswood are fine with singlecoils in my ears.
I think most woods are, humbuckers are less "forgiving".

/Magnus
It's not that they'll sound "better" or "worse" than a strat - just different. I could totally see some players preferring a slightly edgier, thinner neck position than the rounder, fatter Strat sound.

Oddly enough, the handful of times I've played mahogany guitars with singlecoils, I've really liked the sound. It brings a lot of attack and clarity, which I (personally speaking) find mahogany is often lacking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode