Ibanez=old biddys? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Angry Ibanez=old biddys?

ok,does anyone agrre with me that ibanez are starting to go old and boring?i mean in the last few years or so i havent seen any ibanez's with wild colors like in the late 80s early 90s!yes they might be going out of fashion but that doesnt mean they should b replaced by "conservative" colors like boring sunbusts and natural glosses.im 15...i wanna b rockin out on a guitar with the madest colors i can find!dont get me wrong,the occasional flame top does appeal to me but after a while it gets a litte boring.does anyone else have this problem?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Re: Ibanez=old biddys?

That's just because people aren't interested in wild colours anymore. Nu-Metalheads tend to favour Ibanez a lot these days, and they just won't look right with green or pink . My guess is that Ibanez may bring back the old wild colours if it became popular again. Otherwise, go used or custom.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:49 AM

i dunno, i consider myself to be a metal head (though my tastes arent restricted to it) and id love to have one of the jewl blue PGMs or a swirl UV or JEM but i dont think that i speak for other people with 'heavier' tastes, i think the more plain colors are due to consumer tastes, whilst ibanez will try to cater for us 'ibanez-heads' it has to attract the average player, and swirls.... well theyre an aquired taste
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 PM

i think bands are in general trying to be a lot more serious these days (that isnt a criticism either way, its just sort of, the vide of the moment) and the plainer, posher looking ones are whats favoured, whereas back in the 80s, glam hair psychadelia funk metal was the vibe so all the swirls and crazy jems and stuff was what people preferred. of course a lot of people, like most of us, for instance, appreciate and appreciated both kinds.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:03 PM

I just wish they'd drop the "RootBeer" colour. Who the hell wants a BROWN guitar?

(JEM7RB excluded of course... )
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:06 PM

seriously, they have more blue, brown, and grey guitars than I can stand. WHy can't they at least have some ferrari red gtrs or some new sparkles or something???

Dammit, I LOVE Neon guitars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 PM

If you think Ibanes is getting boring, have you taken a look at the Fender/Gibson camp yet? Not much has changed for 50 years or so. Seeing that Ibanez is run by evil bean counters, they'd only make things they know they can sell. Mind you, they did release the Mirage Blue and Mirage Red colors for the RG1570 guitars so they're not completely color blind...yet..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 AM

At the risk of sounding like a mind-numbingly boring old fart, companies of the size of Ibanez who aren't at least aware of the beans will go broke quicker than you can sat "Look ma, another black guitar!" - Ibanez cater pretty well to their customers, and their current crop of customers seem to want VERY BLACK guitars! When you think about it, being willing to do a run of 300 instruments (DNAs) is a pretty great move for such a large company, and since Ibanez cannot cater to everyone, people like LGM can make a living catering to the more, er, eclectic tastes around!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:25 AM

You have to understand that it's not just Ibanez. Every guitar company is pretty much the same in that they are going to make what sells. There simply isn't a serious demand for "wild colored guitars." I personally wouldn't be caught dead with a pink and green guitar, but that's just my personal preference. If you want a guitar like that, then you'll either have to find one used or mod an existing guitar to those specs. Personally, I'm fine with the current guitars...especially with Ibanez. From what I've seen as of late, they have improved a lot of their models so that they are less crappy than they have been. The replacement of the Lo-TRS II trem with the Edge Pro II and Edge III was a very nice touch, as was the upgrade on regular Ibanez guitars from those crappy powersound pickups to the very not bad Infinity pickups. The construction that I've seen on the korean-made Ibanez guitars is also quite a bit better than it has been IMO. Of course, I can't say the same for the Prestige series guitars as they seem to have either stayed the same or gotten worse.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:09 AM
m0p

It's not the 80's! Ibanez want their guitars to sell, and these days, the people who want pink sparkly guitars are a small minority compared to the amount of people who want plain, boring looking guitars (in my opinion anyway ). Pink is too 80's for today's market. Although they occasionally release a brightly coloured guitar every now and then. Personally I'm all for 80's colours on my guitars, and think Ibanez really should produce more brightly coloured models, as well as their plain guitars. They'd get a wider audience that way.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 AM

Reviews: 5

I had a very educational talk with a store manager of a Guitar Center this weekend. I asked him why they had no JEMs or JS models other than a used JEM7VWH. He politely told me that the market for those guitars simply wasn't as big as it had been 5 years ago. They also have conducted research to know which colors sell and which don't.

Black, Grey, Blue, and Brown sell. That's why you get more of them. The 80s are long since over and the line for neon yellow, leopard skin, and floral pattern guitars isn't nearly as long as some people on this site would think.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 PM

OK, some reasonable opinions posted so far, but I challenge anyone to answer me this:

Why don't guitars have BLING?

And no, I don't consider a pearloid pickguard and gold tuners to be sufficient bling, it's just nice.

And yes: neon and swirls are bling in my books

Last edited by darth_zoidberg; 11-07-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Addendum
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto79
I just wish they'd drop the "RootBeer" colour. Who the hell wants a BROWN guitar?

(JEM7RB excluded of course... )

Well alot of people do, I have one, it sounds & plays great, they only made this in 1988-1989, and was my first JEM which I got back in 1988.

I think they should create some wood tone JEMs, its a style in its own... and each one will be differernt based on the wood grain & stain.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluealien
I think they should create some wood tone JEMs
Ah-la "NAT"
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Smile Re: Ibanez=old biddys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Ah-la "NAT"

Well, NAT is a RG570 converted... so I dont think it counts however I love its look...

Tags
ibanez guitars , pearloid pickguard , powersound pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode