Ibanez 2019 NAMM Speculation Thread - Page 6 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

288Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 AM

Re: Ibanez 2019 NAMM Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There is something good coming you won't be expecting.
Here are three:

- Release 2019 models in late 2018, before Christmas, and skip NAMM.
- Put Edge bridges on all JEM's regardless of where they are made. Drop the JEM Jr. variants, or not, but they would not get an Edge.
- Make stainless steel frets Prestige guitars standard. The theme being "eliminate variables across similar guitar lines by replacing them with a higher-quality standard feature."

I won't be expecting these things to happen and I think there is an element of good in each one. The only thing I am certain of is people will complain no matter what Ibanez chooses to do.
MatiasTolkki and Hoseki like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Reviews: 21

I used to be all about rosewood until the RG20th gave me an appreciation of maple boards. I like them both pretty equally but I admit I dig some of the options out there. I'd even like to try jabota which is being seen as the cheaper board on the budget model. I'd still like to try them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayK View Post
I hope that 2019 brings some new AZ models with HSH pickup configuration. Preferably with exotic tops and no pickguards.
An HSH AZ 24 fret without a pickguard would be dope! And maybe a fixed bridge.
I get the feeling we might see a locking bridge (Edge) AZ which I'm not sure is a great idea.
Also, again not to sound snobbish but a standard Indo AZ should be avoided. I think it should remain Prestige and Premium. I get a sense that Ibanez won't be able to help themselves and an Iron Label version will show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Here are three:

- Release 2019 models in late 2018, before Christmas, and skip NAMM.
- Put Edge bridges on all JEM's regardless of where they are made. Drop the JEM Jr. variants, or not, but they would not get an Edge.
- Make stainless steel frets Prestige guitars standard. The theme being "eliminate variables across similar guitar lines by replacing them with a higher-quality standard feature."

I won't be expecting these things to happen and I think there is an element of good in each one. The only thing I am certain of is people will complain no matter what Ibanez chooses to do.
Would releasing earlier make earlier shipping more likely? Sounds like they would still have the same structural problems in delivery and China eating their allocation as Rich has noted.
I like making all Jems Edge, even the Premiums.
I'm not sure I'd like universal stainless frets. I like them on the AZ but I wouldn't want them on every guitar. Tonally I think I like nickle better too.
post #78 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM

Ebony back on the Jem 7V would be great, honestly.
post #79 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Ebony back on the Jem 7V would be great, honestly.
Ebonies are definitely on the CITES hit list as most species are already endangered, far more so than most Rosewoods.
post #80 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM

Is this the year Richlite shows up on an RG? hehehehe!
post #81 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Is this the year Richlite shows up on an RG? hehehehe!
Richlite looks and feels like Ebony so no real hardship there.

Chopping rare trees down to make guitars is no longer necessary or desirable, the industry would be better focussed on improving manufacturing tolerances and quality control.
mike570 and MatiasTolkki like this.
post #82 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Richlite looks and feels like Ebony so no real hardship there.

Chopping rare trees down to make guitars is no longer necessary or desirable, the industry would be better focussed on improving manufacturing tolerances and quality control.
I'm down with trying new things. I'd love to check out a guitar with Richlite, especially an RG.
Traditionalism runs deep in the guitar community though.
Let's make an acrylic RG with Richlite!!!!!
MatiasTolkki likes this.
post #83 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm down with trying new things. I'd love to check out a guitar with Richlite, especially an RG.
It might be a bit heavy, Basswood is nice and light and easy to work with and, like Maple it ain't exactly endangered.

Stainless frets on a Richlite board would last a whole lifetime of playing, carbon rebars in the neck would guarantee stability, the guitar could be perfectly set up at the factory and never need touching again no matter where it was shipped and used. Just change the strings when they wear out, skilled guitar techs would go the way of the Dodo...
post #84 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:01 PM

I was half joking on the acrylic. More a joke on all artificial / non-wood materials.
Or maybe metal bodies like the James Trussart stuff.
post #85 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Ebonies are definitely on the CITES hit list as most species are already endangered, far more so than most Rosewoods.
Madagascar Ebony is on the CITES list. There are 300+ species of ebony and one is on the CITES list. ALL of the Dalberghia (rosewood) species are CITES restricted.
DeeJayK likes this.

Last edited by jim777; 09-25-2018 at 04:21 PM.
post #86 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Madagascar Ebony is on the CITES list. There are 300+ species of ebony and one is on the CITES list. ALL of the Dalberghia (rosewood) species are CITES restricted.
Ceylon Ebony has been a protected species since 1994, Mauritius Ebony was nearly all harvested by the Dutch, then the British, a few species became extinct as a result, the rest of them aren't black. Of the black Ebonies, all are protected. Black Ebony is much scarcer than Rosewood which is a recent addition to CITES, mainly to stop the Chinese eating it all or rubbing it into their penises or whatever it is they do with vanishingly rare commodities.
FireEagle likes this.
post #87 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Ceylon Ebony has been a protected species since 1994, Mauritius Ebony was nearly all harvested by the Dutch, then the British, a few species became extinct as a result, the rest of them aren't black. Of the black Ebonies, all are protected. Black Ebony is much scarcer than Rosewood which is a recent addition to CITES, mainly to stop the Chinese eating it all or rubbing it into their penises or whatever it is they do with vanishingly rare commodities.
LMAO! 🤣
post #88 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I used to be all about rosewood until the RG20th gave me an appreciation of maple boards. I like them both pretty equally but I admit I dig some of the options out there. I'd even like to try jabota which is being seen as the cheaper board on the budget model. I'd still like to try them out.

An HSH AZ 24 fret without a pickguard would be dope! And maybe a fixed bridge.
I get the feeling we might see a locking bridge (Edge) AZ which I'm not sure is a great idea.
Also, again not to sound snobbish but a standard Indo AZ should be avoided. I think it should remain Prestige and Premium. I get a sense that Ibanez won't be able to help themselves and an Iron Label version will show up.

Would releasing earlier make earlier shipping more likely? Sounds like they would still have the same structural problems in delivery and China eating their allocation as Rich has noted.
I like making all Jems Edge, even the Premiums.
I'm not sure I'd like universal stainless frets. I like them on the AZ but I wouldn't want them on every guitar. Tonally I think I like nickle better too.
gimme all stainless steel frets, ANY day. When a lot of other makers are really pushing them, it would be good to have them on MIJ ibbies as well. I woulda been willing to pay an extra 10,000 upcharge on my 550RF if it had had Stainless frets.
Hoseki likes this.
post #89 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I'd be down with Richlite too. Would solve the problems of CITES in an instant. I am not even sure why Ibanez still has this obsession with rosewood, that needs to stop.
post #90 of 570 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:01 AM

I'm good with stainless frets on the AZ but I don't like them enough to want them on everything. Different strokes I suppose. I do love that stainless lasts a heck of a lot longer though.
I wonder if richlite is expensive? Maybe if it's cost effective they could test run on the standard Indos or Iron Labels?

Is also like to reiterate that it would be cool to see a maple board RG550 in a standard solid color with a solid white pickguard and white pickups. I saw a pic of Bruno Mars with a SSS RG basically like that and it looked great! Why do RG550s *always* have to have black pickguard with black pickups?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode