Ibanez 2020 Catalog + NAMM - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Re: Ibanez 2020 Catalog + NAMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyrox View Post
something about a "steam punk" guitar...

That's what I heard too. A "steam punk" Jem. MIJ would be good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 PM

Still hoping/dreaming for an Ibanez custom or semi-custom shop.

I know, I know, it'll never happen, but it feels good to say it out loud once or twice a year.
Hoseki likes this.
post #18 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:09 PM

From what i've gathered, I think the steam punk guitar is just gonna be a one off for Steve. I'd imagine it's gonna be too bizarre to market to players.
post #19 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:17 PM

A Jem with two monkey grips and a B-bender.
Leviathus likes this.
post #20 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shupe13 View Post
A Jem with two monkey grips and a B-bender.
what dreams are made of
post #21 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
From what I've gathered, I think the steampunk guitar is just gonna be a one-off for Steve. I'd imagine it's gonna be too bizarre to market to players.
I think you are right. Steve was not very secretive about "the cool steam-punk styled guitar Ibanez is building for him" when he mentioned it.
post #22 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Still hoping/dreaming for an Ibanez custom or semi-custom shop.

I know, I know, it'll never happen, but it feels good to say it out loud once or twice a year.
It might happen: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...coming.338403/
post #23 of 158 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Whoa. I’m going to try not to get excited until I see it officially happen. I’m not super fond of the ToL inlays, but would absolutely take them if it meant getting other specs that I want. Thanks for the heads-up. I’d not heard anything about this.

I’m going to NAMM in January, so maybe I’ll get lucky and actually be there when/if it’s announced (and maybe see a few samples at their booth).
GearBoxTy likes this.

Last edited by webmaestro; 09-30-2019 at 06:15 PM.
post #24 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Whoa. Iím going to try not to get excited until I see it officially happen. Iím not super fond of the ToL inlays, but would absolutely take them if it meant getting other specs that I want. Thanks for the heads-up. Iíd not heard anything about this.

Iím going to NAMM in January, so maybe Iíll get lucky and actually be there when/if itís announced (and maybe see a few samples at their booth).
That is probably wise.
I had never heard of Guitar Summit so I did some Googling. It looks really cool:
https://www.guitarsummit.de/en/

Then, in a roundabout way I found this, scroll down to the Ibanez section:
https://www.gitarrebass.de/stories/g...it-2019-tag-1/

The Custom Shop guitar is an R7I3IE22J43IE.
post #25 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 PM

With the reverse headstock (RGR) become 'regular' this recent years, I do hope for more to come.
RGR652
RGR5220
RGR4620
next please..?

They were doing great......only missing one tiny detail....the freaking sharktooth inlays.
mike570 likes this.
post #26 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
With the reverse headstock (RGR) become 'regular' this recent years, I do hope for more to come.
RGR652
RGR5220
RGR4620
next please..?

They were doing great......only missing one tiny detail....the freaking sharktooth inlays.
That RG4620 needs to come to the USA ASAP!
More solid colors or a good clear coat on the wood grain ones would be nice. The RGR5220 looks great, but imagine when a nice glossy spot starts to show below the strings from the picking hand? The suede black and suede red finishes were cool too way back but I think they suffered the same problem. The exposed burl poplar top guitars too. How hard is it to clear coat a Prestige? Especially if Premiums get a clear coat over those tops?
post #27 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
That RG4620 needs to come to the USA ASAP!
More solid colors or a good clear coat on the wood grain ones would be nice. The RGR5220 looks great, but imagine when a nice glossy spot starts to show below the strings from the picking hand? The suede black and suede red finishes were cool too way back but I think they suffered the same problem. The exposed burl poplar top guitars too. How hard is it to clear coat a Prestige? Especially if Premiums get a clear coat over those tops?
that's interesting point, I miss the fact that RGR5220 is matte finish. I know what you mean, I've got a custom built with white ebony wood top and got oil rubbed finish on it, the arm rest is starting to get glossy.

That RGR4620 is almost right on spot for my all time fav RG, except they need to get rid off that white body binding, change hardware to solid black, and sharktooth.. It needs shark!
post #28 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Funny you bring up the RGR 5220M. I just got mine today. Those flat finishes will get shiny spots, but you can also polish the whole body and it gives it a semi gloss kind of look.

Anyway, the guitar is pretty awesome, but I'm kind of left wondering about this ash top. It's perfectly smooth so no wood texture can be felt like with some ash tops. It looks so smooth I wonder if it's really an ash top or a just paper thin ash veneer. I hate to say it but it really looks fake and not high end at all. Would have rather just had a solid finish.
post #29 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:12 PM

I like the white binding as it really gives those side dots something to contrast against. Easily the most visible side dots I've seen on a guitar.
post #30 of 158 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:10 PM

I've been watching the RGR5220 for a while, but need to get rid off 4 surplus guitars first, then RGR4620 come up.
but now since 2020 is 3 months away, I'd be waiting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in