Ibanez 2020 Catalog + NAMM - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

106Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 02:15 AM
Contributor

Re: Ibanez 2020 Catalog + NAMM

Scanning through the thread I'm seeing something along the lines of a green-ish colored Jem with full fret board scalloping and a sustainer, all built in a custom shop...

The custom art-work Jems are a limited-run thing to go with the art show...

...Or are they?...

...The plot thickens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteropid View Post
Scanning through the thread I'm seeing something along the lines of a green-ish colored Jem with full fret board scalloping and a sustainer, all built in a custom shop...

The custom art-work Jems are a limited-run thing to go with the art show...

...Or are they?...

...The plot thickens.
I think they are, but that does not mean different art can not be put on different guitars and sold through guitar retailers rather than art galleries. (Nothing against art galleries.)
post #63 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 10:55 PM
Vendor

The only way Steve's art gets on guitars that I can sell is if they do it like a BFP. He is not going to hand paint guitars like Joe did. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but the beauty of the JS is that they were personal, they were all done by Joe by hand, not a print just glued on. That said I sure wouldn't mind selling them if they make them!

If anybody read the actual gallery art guitars promo, those will not be painted by Steve. It's nothing but grey area the way it's worded. I believe it's going to be like a BFP, and then Steve will sign them on the back and add some hieroglyphs or note lines, something that will personalize them, but the guitars he will not be painting. Just like the gallery is not selling paintings, everything in the gallery exhibition is a print. Some are very cool, but they're not the original paintings.
post #64 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The only way Steve's art gets on guitars that I can sell is if they do it like a BFP. He is not going to hand paint guitars like Joe did. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but the beauty of the JS is that they were personal, they were all done by Joe by hand, not a print just glued on. That said I sure wouldn't mind selling them if they make them!

If anybody read the actual gallery art guitars promo, those will not be painted by Steve. It's nothing but grey area the way it's worded. I believe it's going to be like a BFP, and then Steve will sign them on the back and add some hieroglyphs or note lines, something that will personalize them, but the guitars he will not be painting. Just like the gallery is not selling paintings, everything in the gallery exhibition is a print. Some are very cool, but they're not the original paintings.
In my mind, the art gallery is selling art, not guitars. I imagine that is what the gallery thinks as well. There might be a conflict of interest if Ibanez released a JEM-ART model because of the grey area regarding the replicas being sold by the gallery. If they are too similar, problems may arise, such as upset clients and their legion of lawyers.

Are there any breadcrumbs you would like to misplace? Or perhaps a better question would be, have any of our guesses regarding Ibanezís plans been in the same ballpark? If not, then:
post #65 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:03 AM
Vendor

I can say without fear that most of your comments are in the completely wrong ballpark

I give it less than 3 days before somebody leaks it........

And then the post count will go up
post #66 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Surely the secret will last till Christmas?!?!?
jim777 likes this.
post #67 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I can say without fear that most of your comments are in the completely wrong ballpark

I give it less than 3 days before somebody leaks it........

And then the post count will go up
I am happy with that.
By the way, from SSO, your knowledge of the art world and the stories you have to tell about it are insightful and enjoyable to read. You should share more.
post #68 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Vendor

I don't think anybody wants me rambling on for pages of all the great picks I've made in the last 40 years.
post #69 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think anybody wants me rambling on for pages of all the great picks I've made in the last 40 years.
Perhaps just the bad picks then? JK

When you feel it is appropriate, I'm pretty sure you have earned the right to ramble. No one will stop you because people will probably learn something useful in the process. Also, I don't think anyone can stop you because of technical reasons.

Last guess, Tosin Abasi returns as a signature artist.
post #70 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Contributor

I wonder if Ibanez would do a signature Vai amp. Pretty risky move, I wonder if they would sell.
post #71 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Ibanez would do a signature Vai amp. Pretty risky move, I wonder if they would sell.
I believe Synergy Amps already has something in the works for Steve atm.
post #72 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Contributor

What I'd personally like to see is a return to the old USA custom models. I'm assuming it would be too costly to get a USA custom shop up and running again?

Must be 30 years since the first ones were released?? Anniversary models?
post #73 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
I believe Synergy Amps already has something in the works for Steve atm.
I have read the same thing in the thread below. There are not many threads about Vai and his amps/tone these days which makes this one rather interesting/entertaining to read.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...roots.2099163/
post #74 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:15 AM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Ibanez 2020 Catalog + NAMM

Quote:
I would listen to you ramble on anything related to Ibanez!

I'll be getting a new JEM in January. I want to get the BFP right now, but I'm making myself wait to see if they're going to release a cooler new JEM...

Last edited by DEADTUNES666; 12-19-2019 at 03:53 AM.
post #75 of 159 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 AM

Reviews: 21
Quote:
What I'd personally like to see is a return to the old USA custom models. I'm assuming it would be too costly to get a USA custom shop up and running again?

Must be 30 years since the first ones were released?? Anniversary models?
I think it would be cool for Ibanez to try and fab in the US again but I seriously doubt it'll ever happen again. Same for public Access to the custom shop. It would be cool if people could at least get a custom finish. I'm imagining an RG521 in roadflare red. Mmmmmmmm!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode