Ibanez 2021 Range - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez 2021 Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Actually Suhr is copy of Reb's Ibanez.
Which itself is based off his old original Pensa-Suhr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 05:34 PM

I would love an headless guitar made by Ibanez.
Since they already do headless basses....
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Which itself is based off his old original Pensa-Suhr...
My mistake, I admit.
I've always thought, based on the Ibanez catalogue from 1992 that I've had ever since.
In which RB says he designed the Voyager.
Turns out he just designed the cutout.

https://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/1992/rb_2.jpg
jono likes this.
post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I wish they’d gone with a pau ferro neck on the new Premium RG 560 too. The voyager is from the days when pau ferro was a genuine exotic tonewood, not the light brown alternative to rosewood when there’s a CITES ban
aesthyrian likes this.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 01:39 AM

I like what I see. No complaints.
jono likes this.

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 01-02-2021 at 01:40 AM. Reason: changed stuff
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

So, apparently the new 6 string AZs have new, lower output proprietary SDs and a trem that's flush with the body Ė interesting. I thought they were just new colours and rosewood board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I canít help but think that the red binding would make it look like some early 2000s Schecter Nu Metal machine.

I was hoping for a Prestige RG570 with a modern twist, but Ibanez have just gone a step too far in the wrong direction again.

The $2000 Koa Premium is where itís at this year, simply because theyíve got all of the features we like (Edge trem, good pickups and nowadays, fancy name-brand frets!!!) but nothing extraneous to spoil the show.

All the stuff we like, with none of the stuff we donít. Itís a simple, winning formula.

Steve Vai could learn a thing or two from that magic spell
Ha, maybe! But would there be a new catalogue release without some b*tching about what could've been done better? With something like the Jem, if yet another iteration was released with different colours and tweaked pickups, people would've moaned in the following ways: nothing has really changed, no FP, Steve/Ibanez resting on their laurels etc. Hehe.

I suppose you're thinking of something that's between, say, a Genesis version which has the classic specs and a J-Custom, with ultra fancy woods and pickups, bit of bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camillo777 View Post
I would love an headless guitar made by Ibanez.
Since they already do headless basses....
Would be interesting, and not inconceivable. Headless is popular again with prog/metal folk these days, with the likes of Kiesel and Strandberg offering high end stuff, and Harley Benton the afforable end.
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 06:58 PM

SUPER weak lineup this year, one guitar stands out that i'll damn sure be purchasing.
The PWM20 in white, SICK.

Other than that one, meh.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2021, 07:52 PM

Compound radius on the new AZ, nice.
You can do it Ibanez... do the same on the 2202a and you take my money.

The FRM is also nice.

The rest is meh for me. Or maybe a real neck on the new PWM.

Last edited by Heep; 01-02-2021 at 08:06 PM.
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 PM

Overall, it's a pretty decent range of spec and finish options, with better pickups available on midrange models than I would expect.

I'm surprised there are no Prestige RGAs or 6-string Prestige RGDs.

Premium models with Wizard necks tick most of the boxes for me, but unfortunately don't have a 430mm radius - the one thing that out me off buying a 2017 RG1070PBZ, which otherwise had better specs than many Prestige models.

Are the prices roughly the same as last year or have they gone up again?
(In UK a 2020 Premium costs as much as a Prestige did in 2015, and 2020 Prestige is 50% more...but that's partly due to more expensive stock pickups and finishes).
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 05:27 AM

Red face Re: Ibanez 2021 Range

Anyody like S1070PBZ in White FRost Burst.
this and natural flame maple S look nice.
Neon_Knight_ likes this.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Oh, if the hardware was black instead of gold.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 09:24 AM

Reviews: 21

At first I was taken by the RG565 in fluorescent orange but, TBH, now that I've had a chance to let it all settle in the RG631ALF is the most interesting to me.
Seems like a great guitar and a great price with features I like to try out the world of Fishmans.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fos1 View Post
The S model with HSS and a fixed bridge is tempting. (SEW761FM)
Thats the one that jumped out at me first too... I really like the S-series, plus I have always wanted an Ibanez with offset dots for some reason. The Paul Waggoner model is right there too.

I want to like the AZ's too, but prefer either a solid bridge or double locking tremolo. Never could get along with a non-locking nut with a tremolo, but some folks say they can be made to work well and stay in tune.

Overall thoughts... A little conservative on the line-up this year, but that is understandable. Probably a good business decision. \m/
FireEagle is online  
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 AM

I'm most interested in the new new AZN model as I'm looking for something that more or less competes with the EBMM Cutlass models. I had found the earlier models to be a little to much of an "in-betweener" - not quite a balls to the wall shred machine but still a bit too hot to cover the vintage Strat space, so hopefully the lower output pickups (and I'll admit that I pretty much deck a Strat trem anyway) will fill the bill because the AZ necks are great!
peromucho7 likes this.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 04:35 AM

[QUOTE=FireEagle;1557517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fos1 View Post

I want to like the AZ's too, but prefer either a solid bridge or double locking tremolo. Never could get along with a non-locking nut with a tremolo, but some folks say they can be made to work well and stay in tune.

Overall thoughts... A little conservative on the line-up this year, but that is understandable. Probably a good business decision. \m/
I like how Ibanez is introducing the new AZ models. The 7-strings are Prestige and have a matching Prestige 6-string counterpart. To me, this comes across as the same guitar but in 2 equal versions. EBMM JP models are made this way (same model, 6/7 string versions) and it seems to work well.

I have a guitar with a floating tremolo and locking tuners that works well and stays in tune. With out locking tuners, I think you are playing with fire but I’m sure some people make it work.
jono likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode