Ibanez 2021 Range - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-06-2021, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Ibanez 2021 Range

[quote=Formerly Given To Fly;1557575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post

I like how Ibanez is introducing the new AZ models. The 7-strings are Prestige and have a matching Prestige 6-string counterpart. To me, this comes across as the same guitar but in 2 equal versions. EBMM JP models are made this way (same model, 6/7 string versions) and it seems to work well.

I have a guitar with a floating tremolo and locking tuners that works well and stays in tune. With out locking tuners, I think you are playing with fire but Iím sure some people make it work.
EBMM always seemed to have the right idea with the JP to me, itís a signature guitar, yes, but dealers can order any combination from the spec sheet, colours, piezo, inlays, matching headstock etc. And all of that in either 6 or 7 string version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 05:29 PM

[quote=jono;1557577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post

EBMM always seemed to have the right idea with the JP to me, itís a signature guitar, yes, but dealers can order any combination from the spec sheet, colours, piezo, inlays, matching headstock etc. And all of that in either 6 or 7 string version.
Unfortunately those were the "good old days"; EBMM doesn't have that long spec sheet any more, and all the JPs come "fully loaded" - piezo, matching headstock and shield inlays. It's been that way since 2016-2017.
jono likes this.
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

[quote=John C;1557673]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post

Unfortunately those were the "good old days"; EBMM doesn't have that long spec sheet any more, and all the JPs come "fully loaded" - piezo, matching headstock and shield inlays. It's been that way since 2016-2017.
I did not know that!!!

I figured that dealers were just fully loading the guitars themselves because thatís what sold quickest!
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 12:10 AM

Right now I am so conflicted. I love that Martin Miller Signature 7th string AZ (I had no idea who that guy is until I saw the guitar on Ibanez site but that AZ on blue looks awesome).

I also would love to own one of those PIA limited colors that are still around and a EBMM JP Majesty 7. But sadly one can choose one... Also what if Ibanez releases a Blue Pia? or a 7th string one this year?

I guess I need to hold up a few more months to not get any surprise release of something awesome.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 12:20 AM

[quote=jono;1557677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post

I did not know that!!!

I figured that dealers were just fully loading the guitars themselves because thatís what sold quickest!
A lot has changed since the beginning, except that you can get any EBMM JP as either a 6 or 7 string.
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Have to say, this finish is pretty cool. It echoes the old RG530 from 1986, which came in a reverse antigua-ish burst and a figured top.
peromucho7 and FireEagle like this.
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 11:27 PM

[quote=jono;1557677]
Quote:

I did not know that!!!

I figured that dealers were just fully loading the guitars themselves because that’s what sold quickest!
[quote=Formerly Given To Fly;1557683]
Quote:

A lot has changed since the beginning, except that you can get any EBMM JP as either a 6 or 7 string.
EBMM has changed a lot in terms of how they are doing business - in 2016, when they brought out the Cutlass and StingRay guitars they dropped the option list (where you could pick the color, pickguard, etc. a la carte) and moved to more of a set color/pickguard/combo business model. They've also moved the Silhouette, Silhouette Special, Silhouette Baritone, Axis, and Axis SuperSport to more or less "legacy" status. The Silhouette models had only been available in black or white, and they cut the Axis colors down to 3 (one of which was clear/natural).

As of this past week damn near every color combination has been discontinued - really the only thing that is staying the same are the models that came out in 2020, along with some of the Majesty and JP colors (specifically the JP15 is keeping its colors). I guess they're waiting until the "virtual NAMM" week to release their new colors and model lineup.

Sorry for the EBMM highjack! Still looking forward to trying out the AZ2204N model and comparing it to the Cutlass.
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the EBMM highjack! Still looking forward to trying out the AZ2204N model and comparing it to the Cutlass.
On the 21st Ibanez will release their ďshow specials.Ē Until that time, it might healthy for this thread to wander a bit. I had noticed EBMM had discontinued a lot of colors. I wonder why they left the discontinued colors up on their website if they have been discontinued and are no longer offered? Showing us guitars they donít make isnít helpful. Maybe itís a work in progress...
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-10-2021, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
EBMM has changed a lot in terms of how they are doing business - in 2016, when they brought out the Cutlass and StingRay guitars they dropped the option list (where you could pick the color, pickguard, etc. a la carte) and moved to more of a set color/pickguard/combo business model. They've also moved the Silhouette, Silhouette Special, Silhouette Baritone, Axis, and Axis SuperSport to more or less "legacy" status. The Silhouette models had only been available in black or white, and they cut the Axis colors down to 3 (one of which was clear/natural).

As of this past week damn near every color combination has been discontinued - really the only thing that is staying the same are the models that came out in 2020, along with some of the Majesty and JP colors (specifically the JP15 is keeping its colors). I guess they're waiting until the "virtual NAMM" week to release their new colors and model lineup.

I have to say that to my eyes, both the stingray and cutlass guitars look like a joke. Kind of a rehash of cheap Strat copies from the 70s or 80s that lay abandoned in guitar shops once things like the RG became available.

That just goes to show how out of touch I am with the current guitar market. But if Someone told me that Jeff Kiesel had been hired as a design consultant on either of those (or the EBMM St Vincent model) I would not be surprised.

Iím looking forward to see if EBMM bring out some cool new Petrucci colours. For several years now Iíve Ďnearlyí bought one simply due to the cool colours available. But Iím not 100% convinced on the guitar so just buying on colour is a hard sell, even for me
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2021, 02:13 PM

I've been researching the EBMM Petrucci guitars a lot lately. Torn between the Majesty and JP15. Neck specs are close to Ibanez and would guess they are pretty similar profiles. Medium stainless frets sound perfect. Almost got a Dragons Blood Quilt JP15 but have the large frets. For that price specs need to be perfect for me. I'd go J Custom but the busy TOL, I dont care for.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 01:45 AM

Anyone have guesses as to what will be unveiled next Thurs?

I think they might come out with the LP style Paul Stanley model that he posted on twitter. That one seems probable. Maybe some new AZ sigs, although they already announced the 7-string Martin Miller model. Still a possibility I guess. Don't wanna get my hopes up for any MIJ Vais, dare i say i think a premium PIA would be more likely. A new Munky sig would be cool, not holding my breath though. Maybe a new artist's sig? The suspense is killing me...
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-12-2021, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

I’m expecting another year before we see Indonesian PIA models, that will give them an idea on how good sales were for the regular white production version, outside the hype of a new guitar and the limited edition bright colours all coming at once.

I’m expecting at least one new JS from rumours and random posts on the net.
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-13-2021, 01:25 AM

Hi everyone!
I’m new here.
Really don’t know how to serf on this site so sorry for choosing wrong topic.

About myself. I’m Ukrainian who lives in Canada.
Have my lovely Ibanez Jem7V-wh produced in 2008 with a factory installed Edge Pro tremolo.

If somebody could give me an answer for the next question that would be so great

1) Can I easily change my Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo on my Ibanez Jem7v-wh (2008 ) to the latest version of Edge tremolo. If no, what should I do (cut wood etc.)?

2) If I would like to change spring for my Edge Pro tremolo, which one should I chose:
Ibanez “E-spring” ESPR1003 or ESPR2003.

Thank you for your answers!
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
On the 21st Ibanez will release their ďshow specials.Ē Until that time, it might healthy for this thread to wander a bit. I had noticed EBMM had discontinued a lot of colors. I wonder why they left the discontinued colors up on their website if they have been discontinued and are no longer offered? Showing us guitars they donít make isnít helpful. Maybe itís a work in progress...
I noticed that as well - that's something new for this year. In the past they just left the old colors up until they were sold out. I'm not sure where they're going with the colors, and I'm not sure when they are going to do their 2021 announcement. Sometimes for the Cutlass and StingRay they flip the fingerboard wood - so a color that's available with a maple board one year has a rosewood board the next year (and they might change the pickguard color as well); it could be that we'll see some of that happening.

Quote:
I have to say that to my eyes, both the stingray and cutlass guitars look like a joke. Kind of a rehash of cheap Strat copies from the 70s or 80s that lay abandoned in guitar shops once things like the RG became available.

That just goes to show how out of touch I am with the current guitar market. But if Someone told me that Jeff Kiesel had been hired as a design consultant on either of those (or the EBMM St Vincent model) I would not be surprised.

Iím looking forward to see if EBMM bring out some cool new Petrucci colours. For several years now Iíve Ďnearlyí bought one simply due to the cool colours available. But Iím not 100% convinced on the guitar so just buying on colour is a hard sell, even for me
Well the Cutlass and StingRay shapes were designed by Leo Fender at the original Music Man company - the current Cutlass is based on Leo's Sabre guitar body shape. For what it's worth Leo's designs totally tanked in the marketplace with both odd shapes and strange active electronics (they were both HH guitars with on-board preamps that were just strange in how they worked) so you're correct - they are updated versions of relics from the 70s. Music Man had gone bankrupt in 1984 (Leo left in 1978; they had a strange corporate structure where Leo made the instruments at his factory and sold them to Music Man as a subcontractor; Music Man only owned their amp factory; Leo stopped making Music Mans in 1980 and began making G&Ls instead).

EB bought Music Man from the bankruptcy, but only the name, designs, etc. They put Leo's basses back into production as they were hits, but they stayed away from the guitars like they were radioactive. That is until 2016 when they brought out the revived StingRay and the Sabre-shaped Cutlass model.
jono and peromucho7 like this.
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-15-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximiljan View Post
Hi everyone!
I’m new here.
Really don’t know how to serf on this site so sorry for choosing wrong topic.

About myself. I’m Ukrainian who lives in Canada.
Have my lovely Ibanez Jem7V-wh produced in 2008 with a factory installed Edge Pro tremolo.

If somebody could give me an answer for the next question that would be so great

1) Can I easily change my Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo on my Ibanez Jem7v-wh (2008 ) to the latest version of Edge tremolo. If no, what should I do (cut wood etc.)?

2) If I would like to change spring for my Edge Pro tremolo, which one should I chose:
Ibanez “E-spring” ESPR1003 or ESPR2003.

Thank you for your answers!
You should probably post these questions in https://www.jemsite.com/forums/21-te...-repairs-mods/
But I believe there are threads about this already. If I'm not remembering incorrectly, you would need to slightly enlarge/route the trem cavity to fit a regular Edge
Maximiljan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode