Ibanez 2021 Range - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 09:38 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 09:53 PM

Re: Ibanez 2021 Range

The new AZ models look like that custom job that Tom Quayle was showing off on his Instagram last year, I'm guessing that was a prototype. Not really a massive fan of anything I've seen on their site to be honest, not really feeling the AZ Telecasters either. Is there more to come or is that it?
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 PM

Yeah, i'm not feelin the curved control plate either. The pickguardless ones are okay though.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 12:18 AM

The Josh Smith one looks excellent, I can forgive the control plate there.

The Lari Basilio knocks it out the park, IMO. It's the ash-bodied HSS AZ to die for.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Haha, man, Ibanez seems to be scooping up everyone.

Apart from the Turbot/Ballback and FR, Ibanez hasn't offered many T-style axes (not counting old lawsuit stuff), so it's cool to see. It's interesting that they went on the split plate even for the hardtail models. The separate plate for the pu reminds me of some of those old Floyded Kramers which had a similar arrangement. Kinda dig the mini hum as well.

The control plate is unusual for sure, but there seems to be more space between the switch and volume pot, which traditional Teles lack when you're in the bridge position.

I guess this is the guitar for guys who secretly wanted a T-type with a trem but were afraid of voicing such a desire for fear of being shouted down as heretics .
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Hm, looks like Ibanez actually dug back into their archive for the AZS. Anyone remember Richie Kotzen's custom from the early 90s?
jono, FireEagle and aesthyrian like this.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM

AZS would be great in Standard and Premium levels.

I play moderately priced American Std electrics and now similarly midrange priced Fender Classic Series, but Ibby puts out great stuff but too pricey.

I am sure many like the AZS, but you can buy an American tele and nice amp to boot and a few effects for same money.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
Hm, looks like Ibanez actually dug back into their archive for the AZS. Anyone remember Richie Kotzen's custom from the early 90s?
100% prefer this over the AZS
jono is online  
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

^^ This shape seems to have been used for some of the Starfield guitars in the mid 90s, with modifications. Below is another they built for Kotzen but it has some things production Starfields had, like 3+3 headstock and more offset lower bout.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
AZS would be great in Standard and Premium levels.

I play moderately priced American Std electrics and now similarly midrange priced Fender Classic Series, but Ibby puts out great stuff but too pricey.

I am sure many like the AZS, but you can buy an American tele and nice amp to boot and a few effects for same money.
Yeah, I expect other ranges will come depending on how the current line goes this year. I agree that the T-style market is a tough one because there are loads of options covered across various price points, with traditional to quirky stuff from big F and Squier, and modern from Schecter. There's lots of choice in terms of pickups, finishes etc. across the board.

I guess Ibanez is differentiating itself via the fancy neck treatment/SS frets, multiple switching options, whammy model, separate pickup plate, sculpted neck joint, sleeker looks. Question is whether that's enough given the price point. I think it's cool, personally, but I'm not hung up on having an exact '50 Nocaster spec or whatever. It might be down to that - there's people who like Tele tones but not so much the feel/playability of a traditional type.

I listened to Tom Quayle's short demo the other day; seems a bit more hi-fi than a regular Tele (maybe the titanium saddles? or his recording setup). Do like the tone of the mini hum – more Strat/Firebird.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
^^ This shape seems to have been used for some of the Starfield guitars in the mid 90s, with modifications. Below is another they built for Kotzen but it has some things production Starfields had, like 3+3 headstock and more offset lower bout.
Good lord! What a horrendous abomination... I was almost starting to sort of like the tele shaped az's a LITTLE. I'm back off that bandwagon now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode