Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez 2021 Range

14K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  FireEagle 
#1 ·
As it's past midnight in Japan already, Ibanez seem to have updated their website which now sports the new lineup of gear for the new year.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/news/detail/20201118171450.html

My initial impressions:

Obviously, owing to the situation we're all in, it's all smaller-scale than it might've been. There seem to be heaps of basses though.

Some of the colours being offered are pretty nice, like the trans purple 6 and 7 string RG, flip-flop Axion RG, and the black RGD with the bursted bevel. Kinda dig the HSS mahogany RG too (in spite of the EMGs), has a strong Reb Beach vibe.

For me, the most interesting thing is the 7 string AZs (Prestige only). I think there's been a long-empty niche in the market for a 7 string with a non-locking trem, passive moderate output pups (incl. single coils). Till now, the only company I've been aware of that offered something like this as part of their regular range is Vola and ESP. But c'mon, Ibanez, black only for the HSS model? I know 7s never sell in the same volumes as 6s, but I think it's nice to see this option. I guess Ibanez is looking to the newer crops of players who play proggy/melodic/chordal type stuff who might want to venture beyond a 6.

What do you folks think of the offerings?

See less See more
#13 ·
This is gorgeous, may well move on my Jem70VSFG to make way for it. Of course it's a virtual copy of the Suhr Reb Beach, but that's not a bad thing - at least half the price of a similarly spec'd Suhr. I'd have preferred if it was 22 rather than 24 frets, but hey it's Ibanez...

#6 ·
I was always interested in the RG5170 in black and gold until I saw the red pearl (maybe tortoiseshell?) binding, I’d assumed (hoped) they’d got rid of it from the grey one last year.

As such the koa premium model is the one that has my interest now with its Reb Beach stylisation.

#10 ·
Agree about the trans purple burst, very nice with the ash body and maple fretboard.

I was always interested in the RG5170 in black and gold until I saw the red pearl (maybe tortoiseshell?) binding, I'd assumed (hoped) they'd got rid of it from the grey one last year.
Yeah. When I saw that one my fist thought was they should've done black/red pinstripe binding, like on some of the old Roadstars.

#28 ·
Thats the one that jumped out at me first too... I really like the S-series, plus I have always wanted an Ibanez with offset dots for some reason. The Paul Waggoner model is right there too.

I want to like the AZ's too, but prefer either a solid bridge or double locking tremolo. Never could get along with a non-locking nut with a tremolo, but some folks say they can be made to work well and stay in tune.

Overall thoughts... A little conservative on the line-up this year, but that is understandable. Probably a good business decision. \m/

#24 ·
Overall, it's a pretty decent range of spec and finish options, with better pickups available on midrange models than I would expect.

I'm surprised there are no Prestige RGAs or 6-string Prestige RGDs.

Premium models with Wizard necks tick most of the boxes for me, but unfortunately don't have a 430mm radius - the one thing that out me off buying a 2017 RG1070PBZ, which otherwise had better specs than many Prestige models.

Are the prices roughly the same as last year or have they gone up again?
(In UK a 2020 Premium costs as much as a Prestige did in 2015, and 2020 Prestige is 50% more...but that's partly due to more expensive stock pickups and finishes).

#29 ·
I'm most interested in the new new AZN model as I'm looking for something that more or less competes with the EBMM Cutlass models. I had found the earlier models to be a little to much of an "in-betweener" - not quite a balls to the wall shred machine but still a bit too hot to cover the vintage Strat space, so hopefully the lower output pickups (and I'll admit that I pretty much deck a Strat trem anyway) will fill the bill because the AZ necks are great!

#34 ·
Right now I am so conflicted. I love that Martin Miller Signature 7th string AZ (I had no idea who that guy is until I saw the guitar on Ibanez site but that AZ on blue looks awesome).

I also would love to own one of those PIA limited colors that are still around and a EBMM JP Majesty 7. But sadly one can choose one... Also what if Ibanez releases a Blue Pia? or a 7th string one this year?

I guess I need to hold up a few more months to not get any surprise release of something awesome.

#40 ·
I've been researching the EBMM Petrucci guitars a lot lately. Torn between the Majesty and JP15. Neck specs are close to Ibanez and would guess they are pretty similar profiles. Medium stainless frets sound perfect. Almost got a Dragons Blood Quilt JP15 but have the large frets. For that price specs need to be perfect for me. I'd go J Custom but the busy TOL, I dont care for.

#41 ·
Anyone have guesses as to what will be unveiled next Thurs?

I think they might come out with the LP style Paul Stanley model that he posted on twitter. That one seems probable. Maybe some new AZ sigs, although they already announced the 7-string Martin Miller model. Still a possibility I guess. Don't wanna get my hopes up for any MIJ Vais, dare i say i think a premium PIA would be more likely. A new Munky sig would be cool, not holding my breath though. Maybe a new artist's sig? The suspense is killing me...

#42 ·
I’m expecting another year before we see Indonesian PIA models, that will give them an idea on how good sales were for the regular white production version, outside the hype of a new guitar and the limited edition bright colours all coming at once.

I’m expecting at least one new JS from rumours and random posts on the net.

#43 ·
Hi everyone!
I’m new here.
Really don’t know how to serf on this site so sorry for choosing wrong topic.

About myself. I’m Ukrainian who lives in Canada.
Have my lovely Ibanez Jem7V-wh produced in 2008 with a factory installed Edge Pro tremolo.

If somebody could give me an answer for the next question that would be so great

1) Can I easily change my Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo on my Ibanez Jem7v-wh (2008 ) to the latest version of Edge tremolo. If no, what should I do (cut wood etc.)?

2) If I would like to change spring for my Edge Pro tremolo, which one should I chose:
Ibanez “E-spring” ESPR1003 or ESPR2003.

Thank you for your answers!

#45 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm new here.
Really don't know how to serf on this site so sorry for choosing wrong topic.

About myself. I'm Ukrainian who lives in Canada.
Have my lovely Ibanez Jem7V-wh produced in 2008 with a factory installed Edge Pro tremolo.

If somebody could give me an answer for the next question that would be so great

1) Can I easily change my Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo on my Ibanez Jem7v-wh (2008 ) to the latest version of Edge tremolo. If no, what should I do (cut wood etc.)?

2) If I would like to change spring for my Edge Pro tremolo, which one should I chose:
Ibanez "E-spring" ESPR1003 or ESPR2003.

Thank you for your answers!
You should probably post these questions in https://www.jemsite.com/forums/21-tech-setup-repairs-mods/
But I believe there are threads about this already. If I'm not remembering incorrectly, you would need to slightly enlarge/route the trem cavity to fit a regular Edge

#47 ·
The new AZ models look like that custom job that Tom Quayle was showing off on his Instagram last year, I'm guessing that was a prototype. Not really a massive fan of anything I've seen on their site to be honest, not really feeling the AZ Telecasters either. Is there more to come or is that it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.