IBANEZ 470S ??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

IBANEZ 470S ???

Hello all, I need some help in finding out exactly what I have in this model. It's seriel # is F1562XX and was produced in 1991 accrording to the Dater Project. I don't think they were out unitl '92 and so this must be a very early one? I believe the model turned into the SF470. I was basically given this guitar a few years back and have actually loved playing it with it's neck and scale. An acquaintance of mine has been bugging me for some time now to let it go to him, and I've always stopped him from even making an offer. I'm in a spot now where I might just let him have it, but I need to be sure I don't short sell myself. I don't like being one of those guys who comes out here to find out what his gear is worth, and I usually will use ebay for my guage, but there's no recent sales of the 470S (plenty of S470's) and I just don't know what it's really worth. I figure it's got to be of greater value than the newer Korean S470's? This one does have the V1&2 pickups replaced with GFS Mean 90's. I got it that way and don't have a reference between the pickups, but I do like grittiness of the GSF's. It's Trans Red and also comes with it's OHSC in great condition. Anyway, that's my deal and if anyone really has some knowledge on the matter I'd much appreciate any and all info that could be shed on me about this guitar. I'm going to try to figure out how to get some pics up...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: IBANEZ 470S ???

I was trying to post a picture link, but I guess I'm not allowed to...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarrr View Post
I was trying to post a picture link, but I guess I'm not allowed to...
There is a 10 post requirement before you can post pics. Looking forward to seeing it!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 AM

Serial numbers very regularly predate the production year. No mystery there. They have to build them ahead of time to be ready to sell, right? So it's a '92 470S. Should look like this:

That's a totally solid guitar, although I'm not sure what it might be worth. Up through around 1994, 400 Series were still MIJ. They just had some features of the 500 Series removed, like pickups or bridge. Lower level guitars were called EX. By 1995, anything 400 Series and lower were MIK and the EX Series was dropped.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I had seen that '92 catalogue page and that's the exact model I have, though the picture doesn't really show the translucency. It was made in Japan as you said, and that's why I figured it would be valued above the Korean models. The '91 manufacturing date made sense to me, but I also deduced that it had to be one of the earlier(est) productions. I wonder how many were made of these things, too? My guess would be that the guitar could command in the $350-$400 range, but you never know about some guitars, their obscurity and there desirability, and so I wanted to learn about it from the experts.

Thanks again for the feedback, TR!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 PM

I had one for a while. Bought it because I wanted a fixed-bridge s540, but the short scale and thicker neck didn't work for me.

I think I got $365 for it on Ebay, back in 2010.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

It's funny because I like the small scale and the thickness of the neck. I think it has the Viper neck which I've gathered is a little thicker than the Wizard necks, which I'm not familiar with. Anyway, that's good info... the value probably hasn't changed much over the last five years.

Thanks for the feedback, j4k!

Tags
ibanez 470s ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode