Ibanez 540pII pickguard? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 540pII pickguard?

Hey all, I'm a newb to the site (but a longtime lurker).

I'm making myself a 540pII, Perle body+ RG5ex1 donor guitar. Can't find a pickguard template though- Nate Perle says he'll probably have them in the future, but nothing now. I searched internet and posts up here, but couldn't turn up anything. Specifically looking for the bridge humbucker/neck single-coil.

Anyone gots a template? Thanks in advance!

Mitchell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Re: Ibanez 540pII pickguard?

seen requests here before, not sure if they were answered, the gallery might be a good place to find one and msg the owner. Btw, keep us posted with pics of the build!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 6 View Post
seen requests here before, not sure if they were answered, the gallery might be a good place to find one and msg the owner. Btw, keep us posted with pics of the build!
Thanks, will do. Currently it looks like a bone-stock RG5EX1 and an ebay order for a Perle guitar body.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Hey, question for you do the mounting holes in your RG5ex neck line up with the ones in the perle body, or did you have to drill new ones?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick 6 View Post
Hey, question for you do the mounting holes in your RG5ex neck line up with the ones in the perle body, or did you have to drill new ones?
It hasn't arrived yet, but I assume they will- you can see in the photos of the body on ebay that not only are the holes pre-drilled but they're deeply countersunk on the backside, so I imagine it'd be bad if I had to redo them. Hoping for the best- I'll probably start a build post up here detailing my progress.

Only thing to know so far is that (at Nate's suggestion), you can't use the bridge studs and inserts from the RG5ex because they're too small, so he recommended I get standard Floyd Rose ones, which have already arrived. At least I won't have to worry about getting the inserts out of the RG5ex body now!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 12:41 PM

I have a template that I made for a Nate Perle 540PII body pickguard (truss and cavity covers too) that you can have if you like. Keep in mind that it's somewhat preliminary, I havent had parts made from it yet. Also the screw hole positions are just eyeballed. Print the .pdf out 1:1, cut it out and see if it is something you can use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ibanez 540pii Pickguard and Covers.pdf (13.5 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreecy View Post
I have a template that I made for a Nate Perle 540PII body pickguard (truss and cavity covers too) that you can have if you like. Keep in mind that it's somewhat preliminary, I havent had parts made from it yet. Also the screw hole positions are just eyeballed. Print the .pdf out 1:1, cut it out and see if it is something you can use.
Thanks much, but I already pretty much did the same. I made a template by carefully penciling dots on the raw body (I used a small ruler to keep the distance from the edges constant), copied it with tracing paper and scanned it. I then had a friend clean it up in Illustrator- he used bezier curves to get the curves really smooth.

I was going to have WD make it for me (as well as truss rod cover), just haven't sent it in yet. My body is currently with a painter. I'm sure I'll be more motivated once the body is back!

Nate Perle kindly included both back covers with the body, so I'm good there. They're clear, so it'll work out perfectly- I want them screaming orange, so I'll just spray from the back. I plan to do the same with the pickguard and truss rod cover.

Good luck with your 540- post pics!

Tags
540 , 540pii content

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode