Ibanez 540r - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 540r

Per the suggestion of another member I am reposting this here:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this guitar listed on ebay. Any comments on how this compares to a JEM? I am an Ibanez fan and new to the forum. Thanks. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1989-IBANEZ-RADIUS-540R-USA-F1-C1-PICKUPS-THINK-SATRIANI-SUPERSTRAT-/230767298696?pt=Guitar&hash=item35bacd8888

It looks sweet and I had one with similar pickups but it was a H/H configuration. Wish I never got rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Ibanez 540r

yeah if you look closely at the bridge in a couple pics, you'll see it's missing the blocks in the saddles for the low E, A and D strings. They has the normal string ball ends in place and being locked down by the locking pegs from the Edge trem. That's pretty hokie stuff if you ask me. And while saddle blocks aren't hard to get, I'd tell that dude to knock the price down some based on the shady stuff he's got going on with that bridge.

Very nice 540R and very clean. But for $549 plus the bogus $15(HAHA!!) shipping, it looks fishy. I've never shipped a guitar for any less that $35(through FedEx). So where he's getting this BS $15 shipping total from is beyond me. Other then that fact that he says it will be shipped in a Gig Bag!! man that's not good either. Make the dude find a guitar box at least to ship it in. You need something to protect the guitar in shipment other than a damn gig bag.

There's just too many BS red flags in that Ebay auction for me.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

He mentions that there are two blocks missing in the ad. I'll ask about shipping. Thanks. There is a 540s I'm also looking at that is an auction format. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200732441295...84.m1423.l2649

How would you compare them?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteacher8 View Post
He mentions that there are two blocks missing in the ad. I'll ask about shipping. Thanks. There is a 540s I'm also looking at that is an auction format. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200732441295...84.m1423.l2649

How would you compare them?
For me?? Not much to compare. I've never liked the S(sabre) series. Always preferred the R(radius) series and it mainly has to do with the body. S series always felt very uncomfortable and weird to me. As far as the S being a better buy, yeah I'd have to say so. Mainly because the price on the 540R is a bit much considering what you'll be getting. And yeah after re-reading it, I missed the part about the missing blocks. But still something you'll have to replace, but the thing that freaks me out is shipping it in a gig bag sans a box. Even a regular cardboard box with some stuffing will protect the guitar and gig bag way better than just a gig bag alone. Plus the $15 like I mentioned before is a bit BS to me.

It's up to you, go with what you can get for the best deal and what you really want to play. If you like both models, get whichever works the best.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 PM

I looked at that 540R. That's a real nice guitar. I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on that one. You can replace the trem pieces very easily and cheaply. Just click the Ibanez Rules banner at the top of the page.

That particular R is a way more interesting guitar than the S in my opinion. There are way fewer of the original H-S-S configuration out there. Also, that guitar has totally mint gray F-series pickups. If you ever wanted to sell those, you could make some good money. The black pickups are much more common and the gray ones are kind of sought after.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:24 PM

I looked at that one too thought is was a bit much for that many missing parts.

I don't normally do this but....buy mine.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...ue-114992.html

Same cost, better guitar, original and upgraded pickups included.

Jeff
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirled777 View Post
yeah if you look closely at the bridge in a couple pics, you'll see it's missing the blocks in the saddles for the low E, A and D strings. They has the normal string ball ends in place and being locked down by the locking pegs from the Edge trem. That's pretty hokie stuff if you ask me. And while saddle blocks aren't hard to get, I'd tell that dude to knock the price down some based on the shady stuff he's got going on with that bridge.

Very nice 540R and very clean. But for $549 plus the bogus $15(HAHA!!) shipping, it looks fishy. I've never shipped a guitar for any less that $35(through FedEx). So where he's getting this BS $15 shipping total from is beyond me. Other then that fact that he says it will be shipped in a Gig Bag!! man that's not good either. Make the dude find a guitar box at least to ship it in. You need something to protect the guitar in shipment other than a damn gig bag.

There's just too many BS red flags in that Ebay auction for me.
On the shipping, I work for a large company and get better shipping rates, much much better than any UPS store or USPS so the shipping does not bother me, I have never charged more than $20 for shipping for a guitar. I don't make money on the shipping but you shouldn't anyway.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 1

Damn,u guys get these so cheap,in Australia this would be $1000 ??

We need a Recession !!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Just got a response from the seller. It will be packaged in a box. Thanks for the heads up. My plan is to watch the 540s and see if I can get it for cheap. If not, I'll make an offer on the 540r. I'm thinking $475ish.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Missing parts? Holy ish!

String lock blocks - $5 each
Trem cover - $10

That guitar is missing $20 in parts!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Missing parts? Holy ish!

String lock blocks - $5 each
Trem cover - $10

That guitar is missing $20 in parts!
It's not the monetary value of the missing parts but care taken of the guitar. How long did it sit around, unstrung, not in a case?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
I looked at that one too thought is was a bit much for that many missing parts.

I don't normally do this but....buy mine.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...ue-114992.html

Same cost, better guitar, original and upgraded pickups included.

Jeff
No doubt this is a great option, too. Absolutely beautiful guitar. A bit different of a configuration, but an awesome guitar.

By the way, it's a '91, not a '90. Serial numbers are often from the year before the model year of the guitar. The LTD and the LoPro made their first appearance in 1991.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
It's not the monetary value of the missing parts but care taken of the guitar. How long did it sit around, unstrung, not in a case?
You'd be amazed how many people have literally no idea how to find missing parts. Someone could look at your guitar, see that it's in such great shape and make the same assumptions.

Realistically, the missing trem cover tells me that the guitar has been played regularly. Those are often missing on guitars where the owner is making regular adjustments to the trem.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
No doubt this is a great option, too. Absolutely beautiful guitar. A bit different of a configuration, but an awesome guitar.

By the way, it's a '91, not a '90. Serial numbers are often from the year before the model year of the guitar. The LTD and the LoPro made their first appearance in 1991.
Jes, I noticed that too the other day when I was looking up the neck specs. Good ole catalog page on Rich's site.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
You'd be amazed how many people have literally no idea how to find missing parts. Someone could look at your guitar, see that it's in such great shape and make the same assumptions.

Realistically, the missing trem cover tells me that the guitar has been played regularly. Those are often missing on guitars where the owner is making regular adjustments to the trem.
Oh, I know, if it weren't for Rich, I would not have had half the parts I have gotten for the customs.

It does look like it would clean up nicely.

Tags
radius , radius and joe satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode