Ibanez 540R Refinish Project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 540R Refinish Project

Currently have my Ibanez Radius in the shop for a full refinish. I always wanted a guitar with a killer flake (sparkle) finish, but never could find one stock that fit what I wanted. Either it would be way too expensive (custom shop or limited run guitars), the specs wouldn't be ideal (RG570 & JEM would be awesome but those necks just aren't for me), or the it would be a very subdued flake finish that was just boring. I tried a red sparkle PRS Orianthi model which is awesome, but that neck KILLS my wrist. Do NOT like the PRS wide thin profiles.

So finally I decided instead of trying to modify the neck on the PRS which I may or may not like, and quite possibly would require a re-fret. Why not just do the Radius since it fits me alot better, has an awesome set of specs and is ten times more comfortable to play.

I'll post pics when I get home, but it was a jewel blue H-S-H configured Radius that has already been stripped. Currently waiting for the primer to go on. The color I chose for the new finish is pearl white w/HEAVY holoflake. Were going to do a matching headstock, new chrome logo, chrome hardware, and white Dimarzio pups! I want the planes in the sky to see it from the ground!

The only part I'm unsure of right now is the middle single coil. I already have a Dimarzio PAF Joe for the neck. I'm thinking an Air Norton in the bridge, but I have no idea what kind of single coil to put in the middle that will go good with those two.......Chopper, Fast Track
???? Looking for advice. Not really going for anything high output. Pretty sure I'm going to have a coil tap added as well. I can't wait to share progress pics. I'll post what I have later tonight. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez 540R Refinish Project

Here is a pic of what it looked like originally

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Here is a current progress pic. Body stripped and sealed.....next will be the primer!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 PM

This should be interesting!!! Kinda excited to see a 540 with a different color.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I can't wait either Satchmo72. By the way my friend Dave is doing all the work so I can't take any credit for what you see above. He is also going to sand down the back of the neck and give it that natural feel. I only asked that he preserve the serial number on the back of the headstock.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Hi Scott if you have the PAf Joe on the neck, why not go with FRED on bridge?, i really like that combo on the JS.

But anyway i really look forward to see the new finish on your radius.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
Hi Scott if you have the PAf Joe on the neck, why not go with FRED on bridge?, i really like that combo on the JS.

But anyway i really look forward to see the new finish on your radius.
I have the Tone Zone & Air Norton in my J-Custom and LOVE those pickups together plus I already have two JS guitars with the PAF/FRED pickups. I want something different. I was thinking the Air Norton in the bridge, a Tone Zone S (single) in the middle and the PAF Joe in the neck. Too much???
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 74 View Post
I have the Tone Zone & Air Norton in my J-Custom and LOVE those pickups together plus I already have two JS guitars with the PAF/FRED pickups. I want something different. I was thinking the Air Norton in the bridge, a Tone Zone S (single) in the middle and the PAF Joe in the neck. Too much???
sounds like a heavenly combination to me
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM

can't wait to see where this guitar finish goes
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Finally got some updated pics! First two is the body w/primer complete. Next three are the first coats of pearl white going on. Needless to say I am excited. Finally decided on pups. Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, Chopper in the middle, and PAF Joe in the neck. Thanks Dave and enjoy!!

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 02:48 PM

Oh man!!!! That looks awesome!!!! Love the white.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Satch! He told me the other day the pearl white is finished, and he's getting ready to start spraying the holoflake. Can't wait!!! Just need to finish ordering the rest of the electronics.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Pups are on there way. Tone Zone in the bridge, Fast Track 1 in the middle, and PAF Joe in the neck! All the pups will be white too. Since it uses a 5 way switch and not a 3 way like the JS guitars we are going to do a different wiring scheme instead of the typical Ibanez wiring. Maybe parallel a position like my RG721. If everything goes as planned it should be finished over the Memorial Day weekend. Can't wait!!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Just a waiting game now, but Dave has everything he needs to finish the project. Just waiting on word it's finished. In the meantime enjoy the latest pics! Unfortunately video is much better as pics just can't capture how it looks in person.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode