Ibanez 7 String Acoustics - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 7 String Acoustics

Flicking through the Latest Ibanez Acoustic line catalogue, something just occured to me.

Where the devil have the 7 string acoustics gone to?

I was hoping to buy one this year, and frankly I just feel disheartened knowing they arn't made any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 10:43 PM

I think it hasn't been made for a few years now. They just didn't sell well. And from the people on hear that have one, it sounds like the intonation isn't great (and even worse if you don't like the string guage it comes with, and most prefer much heavier than they provide) and the scale-length is terrible.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 12:07 AM

Twohands is pretty much spot on with this one. Although a call to Ibanez reveals they have some to ship...like a couple left. That's the rumor anyway.

We had a guy come into my shop with one and as T.H. just posted, the intonation bites ass. What we ended up doing was making a new bridge for it and making a separate saddle piece for the B string. Kinda like Takamine does where you have a 2 piece saddle. We pushed the B saddle way back. The only drawback was the pickup issue which is kinda limited because of the separate saddle situation. So we ended up doing a mic system with it. We installed a Countryman mic and preamp, and this worked great. The low end was massive, and while under control it was great. But with that much bottom, it does go into feedback quickly.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 AM

Thank goodness for the RG2027. Acoustic 7 all the way, and no feedback problems!

Plus, the intonation/scale doesn't suck, either.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:02 AM

Edited because I am silly. The quote Darren has of me below is a pack of vicious lies!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String
Steve Vai Euphoria Acoustic 7

From what I've read, and from a guy on sevenstring.org that owns one - apparently this thing dominates.
Too bad it's a 6-string.

Steve's insistence upon having the "7" in his model numbers keeps confusing people. I can't count the number of times i've seen the JEM7VWH or SBL listed in the 7-string section of online catalogs.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 02:02 PM

ROFL

Well that's what I get for posting at 9am before I've thrown back a pot of coffee.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQ7String
ROFL

Well that's what I get for posting at 9am before I've thrown back a pot of coffee.
just one? and here I was thinking you were a man after my own heart...

-D
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:39 PM

I've owned two AJ307's. I thought they both sucked big time. Even if you could get the intonation down, the tone was strictly cardboard box and a small box at that. The only really positive thing I can say is that it was better than the Dean 7 string acoustic.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:48 PM

Jim, have you tried any of the guitars on Matt Raines' site? I think he may be the only source for a production nylon-string 7.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Jim, have you tried any of the guitars on Matt Raines' site? I think he may be the only source for a production nylon-string 7.
I haven't tried them but we've talked by e-mail a few times. We've also owned a few of the same guitars. I don't know what he has on the site these days, but he was also having a steel string version made for a while. He's a really solid player, but I have no idea how good his guitars are.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:33 PM

I know Don Ross (amazing acoustic guitarist) just had a 7-string acoustic built. Made by Oskar Graf. His 6-string, and 6-string baritone acoustics are both made by Beneteau Guitars.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 10:08 AM

I'll try to keep this short. . .

After using a .070 for the B string, and spending $150 to get it set up, My AJ 307 is finaly where I actualy enjoy playing it. But I feel that the body is too big (deep), and a better sound would be possible with a smaller body. I've heard plenty of classical guitars with a deeper sound than the AJ 307, which is why I'm very interested in the Raines 7 string Classical. I don't think the AJ 307 sounds horrible though. There is still a long list of issues with the AJ 307
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
I know Don Ross (amazing acoustic guitarist) just had a 7-string acoustic built. Made by Oskar Graf. His 6-string, and 6-string baritone acoustics are both made by Beneteau Guitars.
I think Don's actually been playing that for quite a while now. He's a monster player.

Another builder who will do a nice acoustice 7-string is Jim WIlliams in Australia. I hear wonderful things about his guitars and I've thought for a long time that if I ever have some extra money lying around, I'd love to have him build me something. Here's a link to his site.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~guitar88/
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
I think Don's actually been playing that for quite a while now.
Yea, I think you're right. It's the baritone that he just had made. It's already got a big chunk taken out of the bottom

Apparently he was flying with it, and when he opened it up after the flight there was a huge chunk taken out of it. He figures some inspector saw a guitar case and decided to "inspect" it, and then dropped it It still sounds great and everything though And at the show I saw him at one of the other guys almost knocked his other guitar off the guitar stand, and he joked about "almost having a matching set"

Tags
acoustic guitar , darren wilson , electric guitar , ibanez acoustic , steve vai , string acoustic , string guage , string section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode