Ibanez 73' Lawsuit Jazz Bass - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez 73' "Lawsuit" era Jazz Bass

I looked for the most apropriate place to put this but found nothing on the forums designated for basses.

I picked this up off of Craig's for $250 this morning. Original owner's first guitar! He toured w/ it for many years. Don't know why he would sell it so cheap but he said we wanted to find someone who would still appreciate her. And, I sure do!

Having not played any other lawsuit basses I do not know if they are all really nice or if this one has just aged well. The low-note definition and overall smoothness is increduble. I've played several 60's and early 70's Fender Jazz basses and I say in all honesty that this one sounds and feels VERY similar. It's got that unmistakeable purr that you simply can't get in a new bass.
I don't like the neck pickup (aftermareket) so it'll get replaced and I'll probably drop in an Aguilar preamp.

Any thoughts/experiences/questions/advice are welcome!

Last edited by Bowie; 10-10-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 PM

Re: Ibanez 73' Lawsuit Jazz Bass

the whole "lawsuit" thing does not exist, one lawsuit just one was filed against one guitar company over one guitar and the filing company lost, now on to another subject sweet bass at a sweet price man.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
MFB

That headstock looks too big IMO but still a nice bass
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
That headstock looks too big IMO but still a nice bass
Yea, in the pics it does look huge. It's pretty much the same size at the large-headstock vintage Fenders.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 PM
MFB

Well then I guess it works just fine
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Nice!, i had a shot at a "lawsuit" Rick 4001 a couple years back and i still regret not getting it.... Congrats! At that price, its a no brainer....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Did he have to route the body to get that neck pup in?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Did he have to route the body to get that neck pup in?
Yea, he said his tech did a lot of things to it over the years. Aparently the pickguard is non-original as there is some fitment issues. I'm hoping that a Fender pickguard will fit better because I cannot find parts for these anywhere.
The space for the Bartolini is carved out pretty deep. When I switch out the pups, I'll have to fill that gap in and find a wood that matches.

I gave her some Wax & Feed (whatever it's called) last night and it looks like she soaked it up pretty well. Time for a finishing coat of warwick wax.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2008, 01:53 AM

What is the "lawsiut" all about? Sorry - missed that whole story...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 10:12 AM

The neck pickup looks fine, that bridge pickup route is a mess. For 250 though that's a no brainer, nice find!

Tags
lawsuit bass 70's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode