Ibanez 8 string another shot in the foot for Ibanez? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Ibanez 8 string another shot in the foot for Ibanez?

I got the 2007 catalogue, and on first read was impressed with the multitude of new colours and models options across the board.

10/10 to Ibanez there then. The JEM range looks jaded and is the only signature series featuring prestige instruments (which things like the JS100 and JEM555 clearly are not) not used by the artist. But that aside (that's another thread beckoning!) I saw the new RG2228GK, and thought "wow and 8 string!", and cool its has EMG pickups, but then things went sour.

Bland design!!! Black???? Dot inlays???? Am I the only one who thinks Ibanez have shot themselves in the foot here. The pioneered the mass produced playable 7 string concept, they could have bagged this new niche in one catalogue.

Where are the minimum3 different colour options? Where are the fancy inlays? Where is the hardtail option? Why didn't they really go to town perhaps with swirls like they did with the UV7MC to catch the publics attention to the new concept?? Does anyone remember the doomed UV7BK97 with boring dot inlays black paintwork and pickups?? How much did you NOT want that guitar compared to the UV7MC which was basically the same thing looking good?

Am I alone feeling uneasy about shelling out huge sums of money for a bland looking guitar? And has it got active electronics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Re: Ibanez 8 string another shot in the foot for Ibanez?

Easy. It's 2007, not 1990. A swirled guitar would go over about as well today as a pastel pink one with a Hello Kitty inlay on the 12th fret.

I've seen pictures of the RG8 and the galaxy black actually looks pretty cool in person. Hardtail option? It IS a hardtail. The inlays are subtle, and I think work nicely with the overall subtle design of the guitar - its got about as much bling as an AK-47, and wiith 8 strings and EMG 808's, it hits just about as hard. As for the EMG's, you're praising them in one sentence and coming down on them in another. Personally, I'd prefer passives myself too, but there just aren't many passive 8 string pickups out there (Lundgren is the only producer that offers them as a standard model that's coming to mind, and I doubt they could keep up with demand), and EMG was in the progress of developing an 8 anyway, so it makes sense.

Basically, I don't get why you're upset. Neon colors and swirls went out of fashion with the (new) guitar buying public a decade ago. Meanwhile, Ibanez has done something we'd all assumed they'd never do - build a mass produced 8 string. Shouldn't we be celebrating this? I've heard the neck on this is actually MORE comfortable to many of their sevens, and frankly I can't wait to get to play one.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 AM

who says you cant buy one and then customise it? make it original and have fun in the process.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 AM

I think it's a well executed piece of design.

Open your mind to other people's preferences.

They may sell one guitar to you with a neon pink flower swirl finish, with five abalone and platinum fret markers in the shape of flowers and puppies on every fret, but they'll sell hundreds more black guitars.

I love the RG2228 and am considering selling my Carvin to get one. Apart from the headstock, I think it's aesthetically perfect, given that you can't cater for everyone.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 AM

I don't like the 8 string as it is - though i love the concept and i'm very pleased it exists. What's involved in producing a new guitar like this i wonder? New tooling in the factory, workforce retraining to use the new tools and jigs and ofcourse all the R and D that went into designing the neck, new bridge (a complex collection of castings and machined parts go into that) and make it all work reliably on a mass produced instrument. While other companies maybe come up with new body shapes or new features on existing models if they're brave... Part of the reason i like Ibanez so much.

HOWEVER, i wish the 8 had ended up more like Variant's 'infinity' design. If it had i'd be in the market for one.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Easy. It's 2007, not 1990. A swirled guitar would go over about as well today as a pastel pink one with a Hello Kitty inlay on the 12th fret.
hahaha it would be awesome to see that 8 string Ibanez!

everyone has personal prefrence on guitars...I would have loved the 8 string to be matte black with no inlays n just a single pup in the bridge and 30" neck...but I just give creds to Ibanez for putting out an 8 string production model at all...I do want one...even tho the specs rn't excatly as I would have prefered it, I believe it will still do it's job, and it will b a great addition to my lil collection
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 04:36 AM

[QUOTE=Drew;706485]Easy. It's 2007, not 1990. A swirled guitar would go over about as well today as a pastel pink one with a Hello Kitty inlay on the 12th fret.

QUOTE]

How true!

I was reading the thread about whether the RG550 RI was worth the money earlier today, and it just reinforced my belief that Ibanez ditched the neons for all the right reasons - after bitching and whining about the lack of exciting colours, and proclaiming that if Ibz reissued the neons people would buy 'em in droves, the number of people proclaiming that the RI costs too much, had the wrong pickups, should have been this, should have been that, why would I spend this when I can get an original on the 'B** for a lot less....... sheesh! Why did they bother!!!!!

I think the 8 String is a great idea, and a great risk on Ibanez's part - it's NEVER going to sell in big numbers, crikeys, they're having trouble selling seven stringers at the moment, so of course it's black, it's a very, very nice irridescent black, it's got great pickups, it's got great hardwar, and it's got EIGHT STRINGS.....

And people still complain!
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 05:04 AM

+1 for this guitar being nothing but good!

Who apart from metal heads are going to play an 8 string guitar...

and what self respecting metal band would play anything but black?
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 09:26 AM

It is such a massive guitar I played one yesterday, and it really is something entirely different. I think it was very well executed, and if that's what you're looking for it certainly delivers.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 AM

I think it's a good design, and that it's a brave move to put out an 8string at a time when 7 strings aren't exactly selling in droves.

And I REALLY REALLY want one!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM

In a world of very few extended range choices, Im glad they made a production 8 at all. Of course black was going to be the least common denominator when there can only be enough demand to produce one option. Im still waiting on my order from March of this year. (My order did not make that first 50 shipped and I am waiting on the second batch whenever that is)
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
+1 for this guitar being nothing but good!

Who apart from metal heads are going to play an 8 string guitar...

and what self respecting metal band would play anything but black?
Actually, you could do a ton with the added range in jazz, too - sadly, the 808's probably aren't ideal for that tonally speaking, but roll back the tone a touch (it DOES have a tone knob, right?) and go into a dark amp, and it's at least passable.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:09 PM

It's a cutting edge concept guitar and that's a dangerous venture for any company. They have to see how it catches on before they end up with 10 variations of a guitar that didn't sell and end up all over the market for cheap.

If it sells well then I'm sure we'll see more variations of this model like with quilt/flame veneers, etc.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Ibanez 8 string another shot in the foot for Ibanez?

Did anyone here buy one of those things? I wonder if Rich sold any?

Jimmy
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Vendor

Ibanez is sold out until the November shipment.

Tags
body shape , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , ebony boards , fixed bridge , fret markers , playing guitar , production model , rosewood board , string bass , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode