Ibanez AR300 against equivalents - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez AR300 against equivalents

I released my thoughts of going to get an Epiphone Les Paul in another thread here but one person suggested that I try out the AR300 first. The thing is that I've only tried out an AR250, but not the AR300, and I remember seeing the AR250 is made in Korea, and also quite light considering it is made of mahogany and I had expressed that I want the LP for it's heaviness and feel.

So for those of you that have tried out the AR300s, can you express some of your opinons here about it, and for those of you that has got an Epi LP, you can give some input here as well, thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 11:07 AM

I think they stopped making the AR300 proper in the mid 80's. I had one for about 15 years or so. It is a high end instrument, and I sold my Les Paul Custom when I got it. It has a mahogany neck and ebony board, with a mahogany maple capped body. They came with three way switches for each of the pair of humbuckers, and were easy playing, great sounding, and versatile. IMHO a better guitar than a Gibson Les Paul.
An original AR300 will say "Built by the proud craftsmen of Ibanez, Japan" on the control cavity cover, and it will also be a lighter guitar thjan an LP, without feeling too light. If you want one, you may need to pull one out of the 'bay. Harmony Central should have a bunch of reviews, also. If memory serves they were about 425 with case new in 1980 ;-)
I'll get another someday, or one of the newer AR2000/3000's. They are great guitars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:42 AM

if you're referring to the current AR300, i have never played them, but held it a few times at a shop here. i would say, very, very good build quality. on par if not better than more expensive epi LPs. i would have buy one if it suits my music better.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 AM

The current AR300 is really a korean version of the Japanese AR3000. It looks good (though I've never played one) and the Super 58's have a nice sound to them. It should be a lot easier to fing a Korean AR300 than an old Japanese one, certainly.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys, appreciate it.

How about the AR250? I was wondering about that as well, but I think it would be similar quality to the AR300, I'll have to investigate about this more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

I might be getting one of these when I go to Hong Kong early next year, it should be very interesting.

Tags
cavity cover , ebony board , epiphone les paul , gibson les paul , les paul , les paul custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode