Ibanez AZ or no ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez AZ or no ?

Hi guys

Time for me to buy a new guitar, i'm really into the Ibanez AZ line, especially the 2402 RBB prestige limited model, but i keep reading thread about tuning issues due to the bridge/nut on those AZs...

I've never played one at the moment since i live 2 hours away from the first ibanez dealer...

Is this tuning issue really affect many guitars ? I've seen post saying a guy tried 5 models in a store and all were affected by some tuning stability problems when bending near the nut or using the bridge even with lubrification

I won't buy without trying but i need to know if buying an AZ is a coinflip...

Thanks for feedbacks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 AM
Vendor

Re: Ibanez AZ or no ?

There are no Ibanez non locking systems that you could expect stability like a double locker. You can get decent dives and float and remain n really good relative tune, but you have to cut the back side of the nut in the direction the strings flex out in dives to stop binding. But these systems are not made to go whammy crazy and expect pure return every time. It will not. If you're using a bar like than stick with double lockers. If you're using a bar lime Timmons would, then you'll find it will perform to that level well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

ok i got it Rich thanks, i had read that the Guthrie Govan Charvel had the same issue with the same non locking/bone nut system

I also heard that hard bending could be an issue, what do you think ?

what do you recommend for this guitar to avoid some tuning issues ? is nut sauce a good investment ?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Reviews: 21

I have the Premium AZ242 and I'm still utterly shocked how well it stays in tune for a non-locking system. I'm not crazy with the whammy though.
Now the buzz that keeps rearing its ugly head on my D-string seventh fret A..... that's another story. I'm going to have to have someone look at that. :/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback, i already have 3 prestige model and the fretwork is great, i assume it won't be an issue on the AZ prestige range !

Since the tuning question has an aswer, the question is know : Ibanez AZ prestige 2402FF RBB or Charvel guthrie govan ? 😛
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:21 PM

I honestly don't think my issue is a fret issue as much as a possible neck pocket issue. Fretwork isn't always great on a Prestige either but generally better than Premium, yes.
IMO you should go with the Prestige AZ but that's me. Or a Suhr Antique Modern. I generally shy away from sig models.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I tried different suhr guitars...2 modern HSH models and 1 standard HSS...
Honestly great guitars, well built, but not worth 4500€

I prefer some musicman or prs, at least they have some mojo that Suhr don't have but it is my own opinion

Modern Satin could be a good deal, 2500€ but don't really dig the look... i really love Ibanez japan built quality i was just worry about all those negative feedbacks on the AZ line

I think i'll go for this gorgeous limited edition AZ 🙂 thanks for all your feedbacks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:03 PM

Rich: the work you did on mine has it staying pretty solidly in tune over the course of a live set even with some warbly and dive+slide madness. Yeah, it's not stays-a-year-in-tune solid, but it's still pretty damn brilliant for anything you wanna throw at it over the course of a practice/rehearsal/performance.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:18 PM
Vendor

Yea, the strings all flex out to the treble side on dives so you have to roll off straight but it's more important to roll the back side to the treble side or that's where it will bind. Sometimes it's still going to catch and drop out of tune but that's non locking systems.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:59 AM

The amazing bit to me is doing the trem swell at the beginning of Satch Boogie. It doesn't raise as high in pitch as an Edge, sure, but it shocks me how it stays in tune every time.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 07:41 AM

IMO great instruments... vs the similar suhrs/anderson builds they stack up well at a good price point.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 01:14 PM

Great for the base models, a little too much for the sigs, like the ATZ100.
MatiasTolkki is online  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode