Ibanez build quality - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez build quality

I own 5 Ibanez guitars now.

2006 Jem 77 BRMR (Japan)
2010 RG 350 MYE (Indonesia)
2010 S5EX1 (Indonesia)
1999 S270 (Korea)
2001 RG 270 DX (Korea)

What do you guys think of todays Indonesian guitars, compared with
10 years old Korea guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM

Re: Ibanez build quality

They are like the RG350s.
Even my JEM70 SFG plays no better than my 2012 RG350MYE.

I have a lot of Artcore guitars that were made in Korea.
They are much better quality than the Indo guitars I have.

Last edited by sebastian; 10-29-2012 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
They are like the RG350s.
Even my JEM70 SFG plays no better than my 2012 RG350MYE.

I have a lot of Artcore guitars that were made in Korea.
They are much better quality than the Indo guitars I have.
I agree, however The RG350MYE that both of you own FAR surpasses the quality of either of the OP's Korean 270's.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM

I now have four S models. 1993 S540 MIJ, 2000 S1520NT Prestige MIJ, 2009 S5470 Prestige MIJ and a 2010 S5EX1. Now the 1520 is still in pieces and I've not had a chance to really play her for an extended period before tearing it apart for a restoration and new parts. Needs a fret dress which is why I took it apart in the first place.

But...from a neck standpoint, I feel the 1520 has the best fretwork. I also think it had to have had a luthier work on it at some point. The ends of the frets are as smooth and soft as a baby's bottom. Definitely a professional job. So maybe not a fair comparison.

From a feel and finish standpoint, it's the S5470 hands down. Every time I pick it up, you can feel the difference in the quality compared to the others. Frets are larger which I like as well.

The S540 is very alive in the hands, really comfortable. I'm still trying to get the action right on it however, and I'm not totally in love with the pickups "yet". Plus it's an older guitar and despite the fact it was almost pristine, it does have that comfy broken in feel. Still smells like the S5470. Whomever decided on the materials used to die Ibanez case interiors should be shot! Febreeze anyone?

Now the S5EX1. Bought it on looks alone and to prototype a few parts. Seems quality and durable except for a few things on the trem. Really battled to get the neck setup right and I'm still not sure it's there 100%. Stock pickups were so bad I had to swap them out immediately. I stuck the S5470 Prestige pickups in there. Made quite a difference. I now enjoy playing it.

In terms of neck size, I've always liked a slightly bigger neck so I tend to like the S5470 Prestige the best, followed by the 1520. But I don't really notice anything like bad fretwork on the S5EX1 but I do seem to be fighting it a bit more (well, at least last night while playing). The S540 seems to be the thinnest of the bunch overall, still getting used to it.

I think with a good set up pickups (or my amps dialed in) the S540 will be a very "comfortable" guitar that I enjoy playing.

The S5470 just reeks of quality and it's really solid. Plus I have a killer set of pickups in there. Tough decisions. Because it's the most expensive guitar I own and mint, I sometimes feel like I should play one of the less expensive guitars around the house, LOL. But overall, I just love this guitar. And despite what a lot of people say on the internet, they ALL four suffer from sustain issues somewhere on the neck (but all in different spots). And they're all pretty minor. The S540 is the best in this regard but it has a big brass sustain block.

The S5EX1 has a few small issues and one of the trem post adjustment screws has cracked while trying to adjust the height. It still works but eventually I'll have to replace it. Annoying. Killer looking guitar though, needs an ebony fretboard IMO. I'd actually like to stick a prestige neck on it and see what I end up with.

I haven't played any of the Korean models and they often don't get good reviews. I have a feeling the first batch of Prestige MIK guitars was probably decent and they fell down quickly from there. But that's just a guess. I've not been brave enough to dip my toe into that water yet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

I replaced the bridge PU in the RG 350MYE with Dimarzio Breed, and the bridge PU in the S5EX1 with Bareknucle Holydiver. Theese guitars are now two of my favorties. (out of 10). The RG is pretty close to the JEM in performance.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM

The biggest problem I've see with Indo guitars is bad fretwork from the get go.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM

Hi everyone,, Im Joe,,, I manage a small Music Store here in Australia. I myself also collect alot of guitars..... Main reason is so I am able to inform customers on various guitars and for my own playing pleasure,, I have studied lots of guitars.. I have looked at the overall build quality and tested out the playability of Fender, Gibson and Ibanez guitars plus a few others.. Keeping it as short as I can,,, I will tell everyone my thoughts on Ibanezs Premium guitars including Steve Vai's Jem70V Premium guitar... Playability on all Premium guitars is fantastic.... Sound varies depending on what pickups are in the guitar but this really just depends on ones taste .............. The only negative I see is that none of the Premium range guitars are finished off to a high enough level for the $ that Ibanez retail these at... From a RG1xxv that I have,, to the RG870QMZ and to the Jem70V and other Premiums,,, Everyone I have seen have minor problems with areas on the guitar that have missed being painted correctly.. these areas are places such as around the inside of the neck-bolt recesses, the area where the bridge sits, and other hard to get at places... When paying a Premium price , we should really get a premium job.. However your main concern is the playability and sound, than the premium range is fantastic!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluesine View Post
Hi everyone,, Im Joe,,, I manage a small Music Store here in Australia. I myself also collect alot of guitars..... Main reason is so I am able to inform customers on various guitars and for my own playing pleasure,, I have studied lots of guitars.. I have looked at the overall build quality and tested out the playability of Fender, Gibson and Ibanez guitars plus a few others.. Keeping it as short as I can,,, I will tell everyone my thoughts on Ibanezs Premium guitars including Steve Vai's Jem70V Premium guitar... Playability on all Premium guitars is fantastic.... Sound varies depending on what pickups are in the guitar but this really just depends on ones taste .............. The only negative I see is that none of the Premium range guitars are finished off to a high enough level for the $ that Ibanez retail these at... From a RG1xxv that I have,, to the RG870QMZ and to the Jem70V and other Premiums,,, Everyone I have seen have minor problems with areas on the guitar that have missed being painted correctly.. these areas are places such as around the inside of the neck-bolt recesses, the area where the bridge sits, and other hard to get at places... When paying a Premium price , we should really get a premium job.. However your main concern is the playability and sound, than the premium range is fantastic!
Welcome to Jemsite man!!!

Your review is appreciated!! In your opinion, how do the Premium and the standard line Indo's compare to other brands in their respective price ranges? I do agree that, as has been stated numerous times in the past, The "Premium" line has some serious finish issues..........but mechanically they seem to be pretty sound and well built.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Hi mate,, well I think the Indo' made Premiums and the standard models are generally great guitars to play,, designed really well etc,, they just dont put as much time into the finishing off process... which is a real pitty... Fender strats and teles made in US and mex seem better finished off ,, but that said , the design of the fenders is one that is less difficult to paint and finish, theres not many hard to paint areas on them.. Theres no recessed bolts on the neck as they have neckplates and input jacks also mount with a plate. generally they dont have alot of routing for a big floyd rose bridge either. Besides the very occassional small crack on the neck socket, there usually finished off perfectly..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode