Ibanez Curse Broken? (Long) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

View Poll Results: Customizing Ideas For MY RG 470
Chrome vine 3 25.00%
Chrome Pyramid 2 16.67%
Flourescent Pyramid 0 0%
Mirrored Pickguard 3 25.00%
Colored shell Pickguard 0 0%
Mirrored Truss Rod Cover 3 25.00%
Replace LO TRS II 12 100.00%
Repaint Flourescent Green 2 16.67%
Repaint Flourescent Purple 0 0%
Repaint with Mirrored finish(like Steve's new one) 2 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Smile Ibanez Curse Broken? (Long)

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, but an old hand as an Ibanez user. First let me tell you about my background w/Ibanez guitars. I started using Ibanez guitars before they were popular. No one really knew anything about them, but I just thought they were great playing, inexpensive guitars. I got my first Ibanez Roadstar when I was in the military, around 1983. I played that thing whenever I could. It had a Tabacco Sunburst finish, maple neck, and I believe 3 single coil pup's.

When I got out of the military and came back home, I was suprised to find that none of my friends were familiar with Ibanez guitars. I showed a local music store my Roadstar, and convinced the owner, who was a friend of mine, to start bringing them in. Well, that started a whole slew of new Roadstars being added to everyones guitar collection, as well as mine.

Well later on, Steve Vai comes out of Alcatrazz, and the Frank Zappa Band, to play with David Lee Roth. He then turns the guitar world upside down with his playing, and the new Lochness Green "Jem".

Here's where my title starts to make some sense:

Being a long time Vai fan, I bought a Lochness Green Jem. It took me 7 months to pay for it on layaway, working as much as 60 hrs a week. 3 months after I got my Holy Grail, it was stolen! THAT was painful, and it hasn't been recovered.

My bud, (who owned the first music store to bring the Ibanez line into the area), felt really bad for me, as did all of my friends. As he had just received a new shippment from Ibanez, he gave me a Desert Yellow RG 550! It turns out that he, and some of my other friends, put together some money to purchase it for me! What a great bunch of guys!

Everything was right with the world, but it still stung to not have my Jem. A few months later, my music store owner buddy calls me up and tells me to come into his shop. He just got a new RG 550 in, and said that he's putting it aside for me, 'cause he KNOWS that I'll want it.

This would become my second RG 550. The color was RoadFlare Red and it had a maple neck and fingerboard. Things were really looking up, untill...

Well, the Fire. Yeah I couldn't believe it! The place that we rehersed at burned to the ground! I lost both RG's, an Ampeg SS 120C, a 4x12 Marshall cab... basically everything I owned. The worst thing, NO INSURANCE would cover my loss. I won't get into the details about the little nuclear holocaust I tried to wage on the owner of the building, but the end result was I got nada, nothing, zero, zilch, zip... well you get the idea.

So this is how it tallied up after the day was over:

CURSE:4 Danny: 0

Well things are looking a little better! I just got my first Ibanez after many years of worrying about the "CURSE".

A friend of mine that works at GC called me up Friday and says that he has something for me. He KNOWS that I'm going to want it. Okay, I go down to GC. Apparently, a MIJ RG 470 (VK, Cosmo Black Hardware) had been found, that was hidden or lost somehow. The guy that put it on lawaway made a payment, bought 2 Evolution PUPs for it(which were in the gig bag), and never came back to get it. Now, get this. He put it on lawaway almost 2 years ago! How the people at GC misplaced it (or maybe someone was saving it for themselves), is not known. My bud just happened to look at a guitar case that was in a back room and noticed something behind it. "It" was a green guitar gigbag(a really nice one) with the RG and the PUP's inside! I got the whole package for $300 bucks!

I just had my NEW RG set up, and it plays fantastic. Some of the frets had to be leveled, and all of them were then polished. The action is so low(just how I like it!) that a 1.5mm pick won't fit between the fret and the high E string(at the 12th fret) with out raising it. The pick will actually be held in place by the string tension!

I didn't have the Evolution PUP's put in, because I wanted to hear what the Ibanez V7, S1, and V8 sounded like. They were a little muddy, so I disconnected the tone pot and they opened up quite a bit. Much better sounding, IMO.

But I've decided to add the Evolution PUP's, and a few custom touches. I was thinking about putting a mirrored pickguard on it, but i don't know if the JEM pickguard will fit on it. I've got alot of ideas, but I'd sure like to hear some of your thoughts on what I can do to "Customize" this baby.

Thanks for taking the time to read this LOOOOONG Post!

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:43 AM

Re: Ibanez Curse Broken? (Long)

Wasn't the Roth green guitar still the old Charvel or something? But anyway, good luck on the curse. I hope I don't jinx you.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear about your curse, hope things start looking up for you.

I'm not much into 'flashy' guitars, so I'd concentrate on the playability and tone mods first. If you want the 'Ness Green vibe', here's what I'd do:

- The TRS trem has to go, full stop. I'd replace it with an OFR or do the routing for an Edge. BTW, I thought MIJ RG470s have Edges. Are you sure it's the TRS?

- Of course, install the Evos and get fluorescent-colour bobbin toppers and knobs from universaljems.com. That'd add quite a bit of 'flash' at practically no cost

-Possibly a fluorescent paint job (green of course )

- The pickguard, inlays, etc, I'd leave them for later. First I'd concentrate on getting the beast rockin' Then you can add the cosmetic mods little by little (that'd spread the costs over time too)

There are plenty of ideas for mods in the mod section of this forum. Also check out projectguitar.com and the sponsors' links at the top of the page (esp. EKG). Plenty of good ideas there

Good luck!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Ibanez Curse Broken? (Long)

Hi AGH!

Thanks for the info about universaljems.com! I was blown away by the products that are sold there. I'm ordering the Flourescent bobbin toppers and the flourescent knobs. I really like the holo stick-on sheets that they sell! Maybe I'll turn this into a personalized custom and buy that and apply it to my RG. Do you have any expierence with this product?

In answer to your question, yes my RG has the LO TRS trem, not the LO TRS II. I don't know if there is a difference between the two. I understand from what I've read that the LO TRS II isn't a really good trem, but is the LO TRS good? It seems to stay in tune without any problems, and I really bang the heck out of that thing!

The V-7 and V-8 sound much better since I disconneted the tone control. Not quite as hot as the pups in my EVH Wolfgang, but they are very clear sounding, with an open vowel, wah type quality.

I gotta agre with you about the inlay! Boy, I didn't know how expensive those things could get! LOL! I believe they're worth the money, but I don't have it right now.

I'm thinking about getting rid of the pup mounting rings, and direct mounting the pups like my Wolfgang. I really like the way they sound. At the end of the month I'm having the Evolution pups installed.

Thanks for your help!

Danny
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Suspension: Multiple Users

Yeah dude, the first thing you need to do is get rid of the Lo-Trs. Any cosmetic mods should be done after you get your PU's and trem covered.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:17 AM

first: get an original floyd rose or OFR. It's a direct replacement for your lo trs trem. This alone will do alot to change the tone of your guitar. I'm sure it will add a bit of sustain. stick in those Evo's.

after that it's all subjective.

think of it like this
your a race car driver.
you got a nice car thats really pretty but has a 4 banger and a bad set of wheels. its butt ugly brown too...

step one get a good racing engine in it and a good set of wheels after that who cares if its butt ugly brown when your leaving the other guys in your dust.

Tags
bobbin toppers , cosmo black hardware , david lee roth , floyd rose , frank zappa , guitar collection , ibanez guitars , ibanez roadstar , local music store , maple neck , mirrored pickguard , music store , steve vai , string tension , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode