Ibanez Destroyer - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Ibanez Destroyer

I've always wanted a destroyer, but was put off buying one when I found out that it is made in Korea.

Am I alone on the snob value of wanting only MIJ Ibanez guitars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM

Re: Ibanez Destroyer

E-bay usually has tons of old 80's MIJ Destroyers. When in doubt, the name Phil Collen usually follows them, since he was known to be using a somewhat similar Destroyer back in the day.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm looking at one on e-bay at the moment and i asked for the serial number to check and it begins with C, not F, so was a bit miffed.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:46 PM

You know what, this is a cool debate because it used to be japan that made stuff that ruled. Nowadays you can buy korean instruments that are of outstanding quality and every bit as good as japanese models. I think that if you pick up an instrument and it speaks to you then who cares where its made. Some great guitar players throughout history have made incredible music on some really questionable stuff. Eddie's first frankenstein body was a 'second', Sears (oh my god!!) silvertone guitars have ended up on led zep's first album as well as albums by aerosmith and cheap trick. It's all in how you look at it. I own two jems, a paul reed smith, several gibsons and a whole bunch of other usa and japanese guitars. I bet I've put more time into playing my korean peavey v-type than all my others because the peaveys my beater. Thats right, the guitar I beat the crap out of most has turned out to be indestructable, tonal and impervious to the trash I put it thru and guess what....it sounds teriffic. Just my two cents.....open you rmind up to the possibility that location doesn't mean a guitar will suck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM

thank you ^
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGlow
I'm looking at one on e-bay at the moment and i asked for the serial number to check and it begins with C, not F, so was a bit miffed.
If it was an early 80's Destroyer you were looking at, the letter at the beginning of the SN corresponds to the month it was built, not where. My 84 Destroyer starts with A84, so it was built in January of 1984. B is February, C is March, etc etc. etc. As far as I know, all Ibanez guitars were numbered that way in the 80's. Maybe someone else knows better when they changed it to what it is now, but back then it just told you when it was built.
Hope this helps
Skot
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:16 PM

The musicgoround website had one of the destroyer reissues that came out a couple years ago, they were made in japan and quite a nice guitar at that.

http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inv....asp?id=438483
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Reviews: 34

If it's 80's x-series then buy it. They are good.

Tags
guitar players , ibanez guitars , paul reed , paul reed smith , phil collen , reed smith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode