Ibanez EW exotic wood advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez EW exotic wood advice

I didn't find anything in the search engine... looking for information on this acoustic. I don't play much acoustic, but sometimes I'll mess with one. I owned a Martin and an Ovation in the past... sold both... I was not happy with the action on either... looking for something with more of an electric type action and I like the look and sound of the EW exotic wood series. The Montage also seems ideal, although I'm not sure how much sound it projects when not plugged in (any comments on that as well are welcomed).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Re: Ibanez EW exotic wood advice

Very nice guitars bang for the buck. I am not 100% crazy about the wood for the guitars.
It looks great but...

Its a veneer (great for electrics but not for acoustics) Or its solid (very doubtful); the 'reason' some woods are used for acoustic guitar tops is because of its sonic ability and structural ability. The grain pattern of exotic woods does not bode well for high load stresses from the strings or sonic dispersion.

Basically if it IS veneered you dont know what the top REALLY looks like. When choosing an acoustic guitar top you want the tight grains of the wood in the center and gradually get wider as they get closer to the sides.

That being said...

they are 400$....if it sounds good, plays nice then who cares!

BTW:

Taylor guitars original design concept was to make an acoustic for electric players. Lower action, more 'electric' feel necks ect.

While Taylors may be out of your price range they IMO have done a really good job in making an acoustic guitar that feels really nice without the '10 mile off the fret board Martin' BS.

~jh
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Re: Ibanez EW exotic wood advice

I have one and think it's pretty good - although I'm not much of an acoustic player. Worth checking out I'd say.
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode