Ibanez EX350 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez EX350

Ok i bought this ex350 about a year ago for only 70. Everything was all good on it, in good condition. Changed the strings and disaster. The problem is that the action on the high e and b strings is like 3mm measured at the 12th, however the g is low, thus making the g buzz like crazy and becme un playable wen the action is lowered. Even if i was to lower it all the way the 2 strings will not go lower than 3mm. The low strings are ok. I dont know whether its because the guitar is a piece of junk or the neck is warped or somehow broke but its really annoying me, you have to push the strings down so much just to fret it past the 9th fret on the 2 strings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Re: Ibanez EX350

From what I can tell, the TRS tremolos used flat baseplates, and the saddles themselves were different heights to compensate for the radius of the fretboard

(This is different to say, an edge or ZR trem, where the saddles are all exacly the same but the baseplate has little shelves milled into it that raise or lower the saddles to match the radius. This way is better because it means you can buy a single replacement saddle if one breaks, and also if you take the saddles off for any reason, you don't have to remember to put them on in the right order.)

Its possible that one of your saddles is actually in the wrong place. Pull the trem from the guitar and look at it from the front (You don't really need to take the strings off for this either, but definitely slack them all off to stop the trem jumping out of the guitar once you take the springs off the back.)

What we're looking for is whether the G saddle itself, has a break point lower than the E or B strings. Check the other sadles too. If they smoothly curve, with the highest saddles in the middle and the lowest at the edges, then we've eliminated that as a possible cause. If the saddles don't do that though, then you need to take the saddles off, match them up into pairs, and then put them on in the right order, highest/thickest saddles in the middle, thinnest at the edges.

Beyond that, check nothing is fouling the saddles causing them to be raised up, check that the action at the nut is ok, and check that the saddles don't have excessive string wear on them. On softer metals, the strings can actually eat into the saddles and make the groove deep enough to cause problems. The TOM style bridges on LTD vipers are like that, mine has a big ol' low E shaped indentation on the low E saddle. You can even see the individual winds, in relief!

Beyond that, I'd say to get back to us. The good thing is, IIRC, the Gotoh GET1996t is a direct replacement for that tremolo, so if all else fails, you can go for an upgrade at a cheap price, and come away with a much better guitar. (IMO, the bridge is responsible for more of a guitars tone than anything else except electronics. You'll find the Gotoh sustains MUCH longer than a TRS too, due to the better block and materials.)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:38 PM

the 350ex has an edge 3
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 08:51 PM

The EX350, and the 350EX, are actually different guitars. The EX350 is much older and came with a TRS101. This is what google tells me anyhow.

Behold the fruits of my search:

350EX: http://www.eorchestr.cz/pic/catalog/big/35117.jpg
EX350: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gui...nez-ex350.html

As far as I'm aware, the 350EX was introduced much later, I don't know when. the EX350 was made between 88 and 91, at a minimum. I know its in the 88 catalogue, and there are a few people on google who bought theirs in 91. I don't know if the production dates extend further than that, I'd have to go through the catalogues.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

lol the thing is that link you showed, thats my guitar i bought it off ****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode