Ibanez Experts: New RG5320 "Issues", or not? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Experts: New RG5320 "Issues", or not?

Greetings Jemsite!

New to the site here. I just purchased a new Ibanez RG5320. I had a couple of questions about some issues I'm having, so before panicking, I'd figure I'd ask here whether or not these things can be easily fixed or whatnot.

First off, the guitar is gorgeous, and the Super Wizard HP neck itself feels good. The thing I'm noticing is when I pluck notes, on either the treble or bass strings, especially with my finger, (like the plucking you do when chicken picking for instance) there is a very bothersome warble with the notes. This is not fret buzz, but an annoying chorus-y type warble. None of my other guitars do this of course. This is my first Ibanez in years, and I haven't really dealt with many locking trems over the years.

I really want to keep this guitar and eventually want it in my collection, but obviously this is unacceptable. With that said, is this issue common with this type of locking bridge (The Bridge on this particular guitar is a Lo-Pro Edge), and can it be fixed easily by way of setup? Or is this a defect that warrants an exchange (I still want this guitar) for another of the same?

And lastly, another "issue" I noticed, is when trying to install the trem bar that it came with, it was very very difficult to insert, install, as well as remove. When I pulled the trem bar out to remove it, it rubbed a little bit of the paint off the trem bar (because of said difficulty of insertion and removal), which kind of bummed me out a tad. So I will ask again, is this normal, the things I mentioned about the trem bar installation and removal, or again, is this some sort of defect?

Do all the aforementioned "issues" that I just mentioned warrant an exchange or return, or does this axe just need a good ole' setup?

I really appreciate y'alls expertise and advice on this, and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 AM
Vendor

Re: Ibanez Experts: New RG5320 "Issues", or not?

The bar, it just the new oversized bushings that makes everybody have the same trouble. I've told them about it several times. Deaf ears.

If the warble is the trem fluttering because you're plucking too hard it's easy to diagnose. Put the bar back in, or not, but somehow hold the trem still. If the warble is gone then it's the trem fluttering. Tremsetters could help but it's a floater so unless you do something that limits the float it will warble.
califj likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The bar, it just the new oversized bushings that makes everybody have the same trouble. I've told them about it several times. Deaf ears.

If the warble is the trem fluttering because you're plucking too hard it's easy to diagnose. Put the bar back in, or not, but somehow hold the trem still. If the warble is gone then it's the trem fluttering. Tremsetters could help but it's a floater so unless you do something that limits the float it will warble.
Very helpful! First thing when I wake up, I'll try the bar method to hold the trem still and see if it's still making that sound, and I'll post the update afterwards. Thanks again.

Edit: Did I screw anything up from the over force that was needed for me to install the bar?

Last edited by Wizard Glory; 08-09-2020 at 02:04 AM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM

Great advice from Wizard Glory, but there might also be another cause if that advice doesn't work. Check the height of the pickups. If they are really high and close to the strings, it could be caused by the magnetic field interrupting the string vibrations. Lowering the pickups might help, as could changing string the formula(maybe nickel-wound would be better than Stainless)? Just adding ideas to help.

BTW, that's a beautiful guitar!!! And I love that they put the Edge LoPro on it(my favorite trem of all time).
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 PM

The warble sounds a lot like you're talking about flutter. Depending on who you talk to this is either the greatest thing in the world or the greatest annoyance, there are whole forum threads on other sites discussing which trems have the best or most flutter as some guitarists live for it so they can make silly sound effects like Steve Vai. Heavier gauge strings and/or running more springs seem to help reduce flutter but the only full cure is a tremsetter/backstop type device that forces stability into the unit. It's very normal for any floating Floyd Rose style trem, infact I think real Floyd Roses do it more than Edge trems (my Floyd Rose Pro for example). If it's not flutter you're discussing then perhaps magnet pull from the pickups being too high? Seems unlikely for a new guitar to be setup in that way though.

The extremely tight trem arm seems normal these days, my 2017 Jem 777 had the issue and my replacement Lo-Pro Edge I bought at the beginning of this year for my Jem 7V also had it. For what it's worth it doesn't take long before the bushings wear down and it becomes more manageable, assuming you remove/replace the trem arm somewhat frequently, it's nothing to be concerned about.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, sorry for the late response, and again, thanks for the replies! I understand both of you (albee1952 and BigBazz) mentioned the pickups as the culprit. I should add that the warble that's happening with the notes is happening while unplugged. So I'm a tad confused by this. Dumb question here, but can the pickups affect the notes and cause said warble while unplugged even?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

As far as the trem springs go, there is indeed only 3 back there. My string gauge is 9-42, and going higher in gauge with this particular guitar is essentially a no go for me. Definitely going to stick with 9-42s on this axe. Certain guitars that I use for heavier riffs, I of course go a bit heavier, like 10-48 on Drop C#, and of course heavier in gauge for something tuned down to Drop C for instance. But, I just love the way 9-42s on standard tuning feel.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 05:25 PM
Vendor

Did you rule out trem warble by holding it with the bar?

Wolf tones and horrible intonation you get with pickups too high. Magnets don't care if there's a plug in the guitar or not.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Did you rule out trem warble by holding it with the bar?

Wolf tones and horrible intonation you get with pickups too high. Magnets don't care if there's a plug in the guitar or not.
Hey Rich, sorry about that, I forgot to reply that I tried my best in holding the trem down with my right palm, and after, I plucked an open string and the warble was indeed reduced. Just retried it right now again and the warble was again minimized with this method. But it's still annoyingly there when the trem is not being held down. I'm thinking of taking this to a professional guitar repair and setup place in Austin called "Straight Frets", to get it plekked and have the frets made perfect, as well as an overall setup. Should I do this, or send this one back to Sweetwater for an exchange?

Last edited by Wizard Glory; 08-13-2020 at 08:08 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Have to also add that I'm not liking the way the notes are sounding across the fretboard, as they sound kind of "dead", for lack of a better description. Again, not sure if taking it in for a complete setup and plek is all it needs, or if this one needs to be sent back for an exchange.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

So what do you think guys, with the information I've presented in this thread, should I simply get a full setup, or would ya'll just chalk this one up to a lemon and send it back to the retailer?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Glory View Post
Greetings Jemsite!

First off, the guitar is gorgeous, and the Super Wizard HP neck itself feels good. The thing I'm noticing is when I pluck notes, on either the treble or bass strings, especially with my finger, (like the plucking you do when chicken picking for instance) there is a very bothersome warble with the notes.

And lastly, another "issue" I noticed, is when trying to install the trem bar that it came with, it was very very difficult to insert, install, as well as remove. When I pulled the trem bar out to remove it, it rubbed a little bit of the paint off the trem bar (because of said difficulty of insertion and removal), which kind of bummed me out a tad. So I will ask again, is this normal, the things I mentioned about the trem bar installation and removal, or again, is this some sort of defect?
the bar is fine they are all like this. I like the feel of a new bar when they get old they dont stay where you put them making certain whammy technique,s impossible. As far as wobble try new strings if those are factory strings, they are thin and will woble if you are not used to gauge and play them to hard. If that isnt the case ,is it note wabble or possible spring wabble on the whammy , Are the springs to loose causing the whammy to wabble. Does it wobble if your hand never touches the whammy. If you cant fix it it needs to be sent back but I dont think its possible for any guitar to have this problem with a good set up. New strings , tighten spring also check to make sure the pick ups are not to close to strings because the magnets can do exactly that to wabble notes.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
the bar is fine they are all like this. I like the feel of a new bar when they get old they dont stay where you put them making certain whammy technique,s impossible. As far as wobble try new strings if those are factory strings, they are thin and will woble if you are not used to gauge and play them to hard. If that isnt the case ,is it note wabble or possible spring wabble on the whammy , Are the springs to loose causing the whammy to wabble. Does it wobble if your hand never touches the whammy. If you cant fix it it needs to be sent back but I dont think its possible for any guitar to have this problem with a good set up. New strings , tighten spring also check to make sure the pick ups are not to close to strings because the magnets can do exactly that to wabble notes.
Thanks phatbeatstudio, hopefully the setup will do as you said, but if not, I'll send it back.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to just purchase and install a tremol-no to have the option of locking the bridge in place, and otherwise. This guitar is just really nice cosmetically and again, the neck feels awesome. Anybody have any experience with the tremol-no?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

And another solution I'm looking at is to simply add the other 2 springs, or at least 1 more. Could adding 1 or 2 more springs to the back (there are 3 back there) help with the warble? Where can I purchase these extra springs at? Are they proprietary?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode