Ibanez Gambale FGM400 switching question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Gambale FGM400 switching question

The pull-push volume pot on the FGM400 switches in the neck pickup irrespective of the position of the 5-way pup selector.

I've had my FGM400 for a while now and never thought much about this, but I wondered what the default 'pushed-in' position should do with the neck pup. On mine it has the neck pup activated when in this position.

I have to pull the volume pot up to make the 5-way selector behave 'as normal' without the neck pup being switched in all the time.

Just wondered if this was correct, or whether the switching has been reversed on mine for some reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Ibanez Gambale FGM400 switching question

I'm not familiar into FGM's wiring, but it "sounds" to me as if you have your push-pull inverted!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:34 PM

I've no idea if that's right, but if your'e unhappy it's easy to change.
The pot will have a six pole switch body on the bottom, something like this:

You need to take any wires from the bottom pair of tags and transfer them to the top pair, keeping left to left, and right to right.
If there are any wires on the top tags you need to transfer them to the bottom, again keeping left to left and right to right.
Jim
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the pot wiring.

Given that it sounds like the switching is reversed, are there any resources for a wiring diagram for the FGM400? I'd like to check out all the wiring in case there's any other mods in there.

Also if anyone here has an FGM400 I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the switching and the guitar in general.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

I just picked one up today and it looks like I got the opposite youre having. When have the 5way sw in the bridge position I get a clear sound but when i pull up the volume button the sound drastically darkens.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Mike - I'm intending to swap over the switching to return mine to 'normal'.

Tags
bridge position , neck pickup , neck pup , pole switch , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode