Ibanez GIO for a good guitar project? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Smile Ibanez GIO for a good guitar project?

HI all,
This is my first post on this forum, just to introduce me i own a rg3570z, a mbm-2 and a icb-300ex.
I would like to do a ibanez rg project to grow up the family. I don't want to pay a lot for the guitar because it will be sanded and I will change all the electronics to dimarzio and I will probably change some hardware so it will cost a lot

I would like to know if GIO series worth it or i would put like 500$ in a guitar that will never get good? Are they made of good piece of basswood or likle crappy piece of basswood?

Thanks to all ya!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Re: Ibanez GIO for a good guitar project?

I wouldn't do it. There are far better entry-mid level Ibbies out there that would make a better base guitar for a project.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
I wouldn't do it. There are far better entry-mid level Ibbies out there that would make a better base guitar for a project.
you could even find a used RG270 or anything else as a start for you project. I would shy away from anything that comes in a guitar starter kit. The neck worries me the most. If you are sinking a bunch of cash into it,you gotta have a playable neck.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't go there either. My dad ended up buying a Ibanez GIO for my brother...the guitar is really bad. You are better off finding either a RG270 like GUITARMAGEDDON said, or find a beat up RG somewhere. Since you plan on sanding anyway, it shouldn't matter much.

The wood also isn't particularly good...it's basswood, but it doesn't sound like it, heh.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks to all you, but rg320 is it a good one? I don't actually know about mid range ibanez quality so is it a ood guitar the 320 fm? Does the flame maple top is a good top or too thin to be sand?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM

Reviews: 120

the RG 320FM has a veneer, if you sand it it'll pretty much be gone.

Keep an eye on the 'Bay for a good project RG. I'd be going to for 3xx minimum for newer models, or 2xx for older models. If the guitar doesn't come with an Edge, Lo Pro Edge, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, or Edge Zero II budget for a decent tremolo.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks this make more sense to me so 3xx are better than 2xx? And prestige does it mean that 1xxx <2xxx<3xxx interm of quality? So that mean that my rg3570z is better than a 2550z? Sorry i don't really understand ibanez code
But for my project thanks to you i'll chek it out and if you know a place where i could get beated rg's for good tell me
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakymen13 View Post
Ok thanks this make more sense to me so 3xx are better than 2xx? And prestige does it mean that 1xxx <2xxx<3xxx interm of quality? So that mean that my rg3570z is better than a 2550z? Sorry i don't really understand ibanez code
But for my project thanks to you i'll chek it out and if you know a place where i could get beated rg's for good tell me
hi mate i bought a grg170 dx a few months ago in blue nice and cheap of the bay i think any thing cheaper than this like in a starter pack wouldnt be great,ive now swirled it and lacquered it,fitted all new dimarzio pots and five way selector and have got some custom evos on there way,neck is maple and rose wood with shark tooth inlays all polished up and up to now the thing looks sweet just cant wait to hear it now,good luck on getting something nice,cheers.

press on my images mate you will see a few pics of it.

Last edited by bodsy; 07-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Yes that's right, the higher the number, the better (supposedly) the guitar.

eBay, this forum's classifieds section, and your local classifieds are the places to look. There are also people selling bodies and necks ready to paint on eBay too. They may or may not be the best fits straight up, and may require some work. If you find something you are interested in always ask here first about the seller. We should be able to let you know if they should be ok or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodsy View Post
hi mate i bought a grg170 dx a few months ago in blue nice and cheap of the bay i think any thing cheaper than this like in a starter pack wouldnt be great,ive now swirled it and lacquered it,fitted all new dimarzio pots and five way selector and have got some custom evos on there way,neck is maple and rose wood with shark tooth inlays all polished up and up to now the thing looks sweet just cant wait to hear it now,good luck on getting something nice,cheers.

press on my images mate you will see a few pics of it.
Again I wouldn't waste my time with a Gio, they just aren't going to be worth it in the long run. Get something that is built slightly better to work from.

Here's a few full stops for you to use next time you write a post bodsy (................). Will make it much easier to read what you are writing.

Last edited by LonePhantom; 07-03-2012 at 10:27 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You can't polish a turd!
Get a beater old RG, like a 570 and use that as the project base. You can find them for less than a new GIO.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks alot i defenitly love this forum! Fast fast answer!!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
HI all,
This is my first post on this forum, just to introduce me i own a rg3570z, a mbm-2 and a icb-300ex.
I would like to do a ibanez rg project to grow up the family. I don't want to pay a lot for the guitar because it will be sanded and I will change all the electronics to dimarzio and I will probably change some hardware so it will cost a lot

I would like to know if GIO series worth it or i would put like 500$ in a guitar that will never get good? Are they made of good piece of basswood or likle crappy piece of basswood?

Thanks to all ya!!!!
Hey mate....

I did the same thing myself..... I used an RG270..... its not my main guitar but its definitely able to handle a night out with my band... so like the guys have all said, stay clear of the GIO's and starter guitars and find a good RG270 or even and RG321 or something similar.... make for a better final guitar!....good luck!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks is there a place i can hear your guitar?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks is there a place i can hear your guitar?
I haven't used it for recording etc... Im a guitar teacher so I use it mainly for taking around schools..... the only negative I have is that I like double locking trems and this is single but apart from that it sound like any stock RG... I even left the pickups as stock, just changes the paint, and colored knobs etc
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Ok but me I will probably put some dimarzio in it and change the trem if its a cheap one so it would probably sound at least good?

Tags
gio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode