Which Ibanez to go with my JS - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Which Ibanez to go with my JS

Hey dudes, i have a JS1000 which i love to death, however i'm looking for another guitar to gig with (i got the JS signed and i'd rather not sweat all over it, lol). I'm thinking about getting a new S prestige but not i'm not sure on what the differences are between the 2170 and the 5470.

I guess what i'm looking for is something similar to my JS. I thought about just picking up another JS but seems kind of silly to have two. I also really like the red flame top finish on the 5470F, though i heard thats a limited run so it might be hard to find one.

I'm also open to used guitars, but i dont have much knowledge about Ibanez guitars so i'm not sure what to look for in that department. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Re: Which Ibanez to go with my JS

5470 is made in japan and has the zrII trem, also 24 frets
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Smile Re: Which Ibanez to go with my JS

I just have to say JS1000's are awesome, nice guitar man. I wouldn't say it's silly to have two of the same guitar. If you like the JS1000 alot you should by another one or you could buy a JS1200, a JS1600 or the 20th Anniversary edition so its not exactly the same. Lol. I own a JS100 and that is still an amazing guitar and I'd definately buy another JS model because they are great to play.

The S Series and JS Series are more different than you'd think, the S Series is by far sleeker and lighter, it has a ZR tremolo rather than an Edge Pro like the JS, the neck joint is an AANJ and the neck is alot sleeker because Satriani wanted a more strat feel to his neck.

To be honest it doesn't matter what Ibanez you buy as you should still be able to get the same tone you could get from your JS1000, you should try out a few Ibanez guitars to see which one feels right, thats how I buy my guitars.

Good luck on your new guitar.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAI2K View Post
I just have to say JS1000's are awesome, nice guitar man. I wouldn't say it's silly to have two of the same guitar. If you like the JS1000 alot you should by another one or you could buy a JS1200, a JS1600 or the 20th Anniversary edition so its not exactly the same. Lol. I own a JS100 and that is still an amazing guitar and I'd definately buy another JS model because they are great to play.

The S Series and JS Series are more different than you'd think, the S Series is by far sleeker and lighter, it has a ZR tremolo rather than an Edge Pro like the JS, the neck joint is an AANJ and the neck is alot sleeker because Satriani wanted a more strat feel to his neck.

To be honest it doesn't matter what Ibanez you buy as you should still be able to get the same tone you could get from your JS1000, you should try out a few Ibanez guitars to see which one feels right, thats how I buy my guitars.

Good luck on your new guitar.
Ahhhh ok, i was thinking the JS and S were quite similiar. I really like the neck on the JS so i think i better go play some S's to see what the difference is. What does AANJ stand for?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

the s guitars have wizard necks which are much thinner and have a flatter fretboard radius. it really does play completely different. i would definitely suggest trying before you buy because you could be disappointed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 AM

Reviews: 3
Talking Re: Which Ibanez to go with my JS

I have the exact same problem i love my two JS guitars they are amazing! But i am looking at buying a new guitar soon. I really don't know which to chose. I have a 10+ year old js100 modded, and a awesome js1000 BTB.

The idea of the JS-1600 and JS-2000 seem good but i don't know wether i really want to put that much money down for a silver finish? I like the fixed bridge idea although IMO should be cheaper than a Lo-pro.

Secondly ive been looking at the JS1200 which the CA finish is killer but i don't know if a bright red finish is really going to fit with me.

Thirdly i would love a JS1000BP but i cannot get my hands on one without spending about 2-300 more than a 1200/1000BTB

I'm also looking at other ibanez guitars, RGA 321 which has a beautiful blue flame maple top, 24 frets and is arched rather than a standard RG.

Also looking at the RGT series, the RGT320Z RBB for some reason here is in the price range of a j-custom so it will take longer to save up for it. the RGT220Z NTF is good.

Some other Ibanez guitars floating around in my head are RG2820, RG3120, RG8570, RG9570

I don't like most of the finished on the S series, ive seen one good S series guitar with a blue flame maple body and matching headstock.

AANJ means all access neck joint.

This is a RGA121 with an AANJ neck. it gives more access than a standard neck with a neck plate. JS series guitar have a tilted neck place and some wood cut to give you more than enough upper fret access. that is for 22 frets ofcourse.

Too many choice's in my opinion
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Nosi0, lol you sound like me dude...too many things flying through my head. My JS is a JS1000BP, and i love that finish.

Ah ha, so thats what an AANJ is. Ya, i definitely need to find a local shop with a good selection of Ibanez's to play around with this weekend.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM

I think with my JS obsession i'm going for a JS1000BP, JS1200CA, JS1600PSV or JS2000

I have a nice wood grain JS1000BTB:

I also have a JS100 with a lo-pro, paf pro, fred and supersize frets:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosi0 View Post
I have a nice wood grain JS1000BTB:
Very nice. Just curious, are the BTBs protected with a clearcoat? (I can't tell from the pics)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM

It certainly does have a clear coat, maybe it's easier to see from these pictures (not mine)

the ding you see in the last picture happens relatively easily, a sharp belt will ruin your guitar. like the previous owner did with my guitar. fortunately it was still a good deal. Dings like that somehow tend to show up less on solid colour JS's like my white one.

Somehow when i see newer JS1000BTB's in shops which carry the edge pro bridge's the burning process seems different. In the new ones it's hard to see the wood grain.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
It certainly does have a clear coat, maybe it's easier to see from these pictures (not mine)
Thanks. I wasn't quite sure if the JS had been done in a similar fashion to the BSB (Burnt Smurf Blue..? Hehe) JEMs, but you've set me straight.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

so i played an SV5470 and didnt really like it. I didnt dislike, but it didnt really do anything for me so i'm sort of back to square one now. I'm now leaning towards picking up a JS1200 and thowing a mo' joe in the bridge so that its a bit different from my JS1000.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:51 AM

The 2008 JS1200 already has a Paf joe rather than a paf pro so it will already be slightly different.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltySparc View Post
Nosi0, lol you sound like me dude...too many things flying through my head. My JS is a JS1000BP, and i love that finish.

Ah ha, so thats what an AANJ is. Ya, i definitely need to find a local shop with a good selection of Ibanez's to play around with this weekend.
You should've had Joe sign the back of the headstock.

Jimmy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The 2008 JS1200 already has a Paf joe rather than a paf pro so it will already be slightly different.
I want something a little hotter in the bridge than the fred though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
You should've had Joe sign the back of the headstock.

Jimmy
Perhaps, but i think it looks pretty sweet there behind the bridge

Tags
aanj neck , fret access , fretboard radius , standard neck , upper fret

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode